American Airlines

Moderators: bill, Clive

buddyboy

Re: American Airlines

Post by buddyboy »

GKirk wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:23 pm
buddyboy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:12 pm Another option bites the dust and the airlines continue to show absolutely 0 outside of the box thinking. So depressing.
Or Airlines go to where they think they get the most money back.

Next week, Eastern announce 2 x weekly GLA-HUY ATR service
So your telling me an almost totally underserved market offers less possible income for airlines than a market that is now at almost 10 daily TATL services in the summer? Seems difficult to believe. Also makes me question who AGS have been talking to? They are out of US airlines to approach now.
ontimeexceptacars

Post by ontimeexceptacars »

AFAIK American were always going to return to EDI. Was a matter of B787 deliveries and crew availability.

I believe they have 12 B789s slated for delivery by mid 2025, which should release the smaller B788s for new routes such as this.

All dependent upon Boeing of course.

OTEA
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

I’m struggling to think of another airport globally that has lost as many airlines and routes to a neighboring airport in such a short time, as GLA has.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

buddyboy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:38 pm
buddyboy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:12 pm Another option bites the dust and the airlines continue to show absolutely 0 outside of the box thinking. So depressing.

So your telling me an almost totally underserved market offers less possible income for airlines than a market that is now at almost 10 daily TATL services in the summer? Seems difficult to believe. Also makes me question who AGS have been talking to? They are out of US airlines to approach now.
Scotland is basically one market as far as direct long haul flights are concerned
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:28 pm I’m struggling to think of another airport globally that has lost as many airlines and routes to a neighboring airport in such a short time, as GLA has.
PIK
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

FlyGLA wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:30 pm I see the usual EDI fan boys sporting erections on the airlines.net thread. :lol:
Creaming their pants today no doubt.
Darren10

Post by Darren10 »

Massive congratulations to team EDI. Once again they play a blinder and secure another key TATL route. I honestly didn't see AA dwelling outside of London for the foreseeable. How wrong was I! EDI is becoming a spotters paradise.

As for team GLA, I think focusing on getting QR or TK in for an evening connection is our best hope outside of a FR base I'm afraid. I hope and pray that I'm proved wrong!

The dreamliner must be a decent capacity increase from the 752s. There's ALOT of seats on offer getting across the pond as it is. I do wonder at what point it will cause a price was due to over capacity. No sour grapes intended however, well played EDI.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:10 pm PHL-Glasgow East confirmed. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TonyM90

Post by TonyM90 »

Bearsden wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:48 pm
buddyboy wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:38 pm

Scotland is basically one market as far as direct long haul flights are concerned
Agreed. I think we see EDI to somewhere like DFW, MSP, DEN or LAX before GLA even sees a summer seasonal to an NYC airport again.

And to be honest, I don't think its just a GLA/EDI thing, even the likes of MAN can't attract US legacy service, BHX has nothing at all. Forget the rest of the regional players like BRS, NCL etc. I seen one of those daft memes where Europeans view the English as pisshead chair throwing football hooligans and then through the lense of Americans its cups of tea and Buckingham Palace. It might be a joke and incredibly simplistic but I honestly don't think that perception as a reality is a million miles off in terms of the outlook in the US on flying to the UK. The regions might as well be invisible.

We've examined it to death all the reasons why the airlines won't come here or they go east like sheep. People can hire a car, go with a tour coach operator or in the case of Glasgow jump on a train themselves from Edinburgh for the day and still base their whole trip through there. So on and so forth, we're up against it from that point of view.

Probably gonna get stick for saying this but I think we should redirect our focus away from what are becoming wishful vanity flights across the pond and fully concentrate on operators who will base aircraft and bring far more jobs, routes and passengers. Then maybe we go back to this when we can get the market to rebalance and provide evidence that our airport and catchment is more stronger and robust than its been made out to be in recent years.

EDI are heavily pursuing US pre-clearance and I also read are going after the likes of Singapore and Ethiopean. FR have what 11 based aircraft there? Theres no way no one can tell me as EDI keeps going bigger and longer we can't poach at least a couple of them as short haul low cost gets kicked down the pecking order there and they lose sight of what got them to where they are.

We all want the airport to do well and everything is connected in different ways, but I'm starting to ramble a bit so I'll go and have a lie down.
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

What can Glasgow realistically do to attract an American carrier? I assume they have had conversations with the legacy carriers re serving GLA. It must be near impossible to convince a prospective airline that a service from the airport would be better financially than EDI. The real priority right now surely is to keep EK happy. You can be certain that EDI is aggressively trying to persuade EK to consolidate all Scottish services from EDI.