PIK

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Re: PIK

Post by atuk »

Ekally1 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:41 pm [quote=will1983 post_id=3008 time=<a href="tel:1611934970">1611934970</a> user_id=126]
Significant cuts from FR for Mar - June:-

ALC 2pw
BCN 2pw
FAO 2pw
IBZ 2pw starts June
AGP - 2pw
PMI - 2pw starts June
TFS - 2pw
Hardly worth it ... government may as well through tenners down a stank
[/quote]

I agree when will folks realise that the SG are indirectly subsidising holiday flights out if PIK against all the operations of EZY, FR, LS and TOM out of ABZ, EDI and GLA. Closure of pax ops at PIK can’t come quickly enough.

One thing Covid has brought into focus is we really do NOT need three airports within Central Scotland.
hads

Post by hads »

When the traffic was normal before the virus, we STILL didnt need 3 airports.
Its commercial insanity.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:15 am When the traffic was normal before the virus, we STILL didnt need 3 airports.
Its commercial insanity.
PIK’s future is of a non-pax aviation facility. Whoever buys it is not going to have terminal pax ops. We’re just waiting for it to be sold.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

I sincerely hope so. However, we have heard it all before. My frustrtaion is of course not nearly as bad as normal as these are not normal times. As soon as the virus is eradicated and normality ( if) returns, then my anger at this operation will resume.
danairs

Post by danairs »

Now here's a dilemma. Do we really need to have 2 airports either in the Central belt of Scotland..?
Post covid and environmentally.., probably not in my opinion..!!
So which one airport would be more likely to succeed here Glasgow or Edinburgh..?
(If only the powers that be in the past had adopted a single central airport between the two cities, eh..!!)
Glasgow Intl will always be my first preferred choice when heading away, however I have used Prestwick and Edinburgh too.
But as things move forward I'd have to say.., I believe Edinburgh could turn out to be the front runner here for all of Central Scotland in the years ahead but only if properly integrated ground transport was to be put in place.
Sorry guys that's just my honest opinion here.
Could this possible situation ever happen..? who knows..!!
But In the meantime.., TAKE CARE..!!
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:51 pm I sincerely hope so. However, we have heard it all before. My frustrtaion is of course not nearly as bad as normal as these are not normal times. As soon as the virus is eradicated and normality ( if) returns, then my anger at this operation will resume.
Yes I feel you. ;)

Covid has delayed the sale process but as you say, once we get back on track it will be time. It nearly was sold to AGS just before Covid IIRC.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

danairs wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:52 pm Now here's a dilemma. Do we really need to have 2 airports either in the Central belt of Scotland..?
Post covid and environmentally.., probably not in my opinion..!!
So which one airport would be more likely to succeed here Glasgow or Edinburgh..?
(If only the powers that be in the past had adopted a single central airport between the two cities, eh..!!)
Glasgow Intl will always be my first preferred choice when heading away, however I have used Prestwick and Edinburgh too.
But as things move forward I'd have to say.., I believe Edinburgh could turn out to be the front runner here for all of Central Scotland in the years ahead but only if properly integrated ground transport was to be put in place.
Sorry guys that's just my honest opinion here.
Could this possible situation ever happen..? who knows..!!
But In the meantime.., TAKE CARE..!!
I dont really know you, or how old you are, but...... Im gonna say two words and let the veterans on here fill you in......
Joe Curry.
1-11

Post by 1-11 »

I’m not up to speed on local politics, ( I assume Joe Curry is politican ? ), but fellow poster Danair, does make a valid point.
I know that many of you will still be in denail and will be unwilling to accept the new reality, but it will none the less, eventually, hit you in the face.

Air travel for the masses, that’s plebs like you and me, is basically over.

If it’s any comfort you are not alone in your denial, even the likes of Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary has still not got his head around it. He will find himself sitting on a pile of B737-Max’s with fewer and fewer pax to put in them.

The Post-Covid world, which we might all crawl out of by about 2025 if we are lucky, will be very different to any life which we knew pre-2019.
Unemployment will remain very high, and may well get worse as the middle classes are forced to burn through more of their savings.
We are all going to have significantly less money, and of that money we will be spending an increasingly larger proportion on food and utilities.
There will be much less money available for discretionary spending on things like holidays abroad.
There may be a small, brief uptick in spending as restrictions are lifted, but that will basically be a final Hurrah, until reality kicks in.
PIK is toast, and although I would prefer GLA to stay operational, I think that EDI will eventually end up as Scotland’s only airport.
The numbers just won’t be there any more to warrant two airports.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

1-11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 pm I’m not up to speed on local politics, ( I assume Joe Curry is politican ? ), but fellow poster Danair, does make a valid point.
I know that many of you will still be in denail and will be unwilling to accept the new reality, but it will none the less, eventually, hit you in the face.

If it’s any comfort you are not alone in your denial, even the likes of Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary has still not got his head around it. He will find himself sitting on a pile of B737-Max’s with fewer and fewer pax to put in them.

The Post-Covid world, which we might all crawl out of by about 2025 if we are lucky, will be very different to any life which we knew pre-2019.
Unemployment will remain very high, and may well get worse as the middle classes are forced to burn through more of their savings.
We are all going to have significantly less money, and of that money we will be spending an increasingly larger proportion on food and utilities.
There will be much less money available for discretionary spending on things like holidays abroad.
There may be a small, brief uptick in spending as restrictions are lifted, but that will basically be a final Hurrah, until reality kicks in.
PIK is toast, and although I would prefer GLA to stay operational, I think that EDI will eventually end up as Scotland’s only airport.
The two airports have existed when they had 4 million pax between them. Neither is going to close.

The global air travel industry, including our airports, expect passenger numbers to return to 2019 levels in the next few years.

So do I.

buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

1-11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 pm I’m not up to speed on local politics, ( I assume Joe Curry is politican ? ), but fellow poster Danair, does make a valid point.

Whilst I understand that the world is currently in a serious downturn and that many people are suffering I would argue that not everyone is suffering to the same extent. Many people have saved a large amount of cash during this and in fact will be more financially secure than ever before. I appreciate this isn't true for all.

If, as it appears the vaccines are working and the latest news about the Oxford/AZ vaccine seriously reducing transmission I see no reason why we cannot go back to closer to how things were pre covid. Clearly some destinations will be off limits and there will be the chance of outbreaks but to have air travel as the preserve of the rich and famous a'la the 50's just isn't going to happen imho. It's become too ingrained in our societies and the industry is too large. Environmental concerns will eventually be overcome by tech. I'm more positive overall.