PIK

Moderators: bill, Clive

hads

Re: PIK

Post by hads »

Human Nature being what it is , people will not have any wish to be impoverished unless they dont care. Normality will return. I will be going gangbusters when airlines start flying. And my social circle mirror that.
There is too much at stake to sit back and be swamped by negativity.
Lets get to the mountains and the Beaches !
big ears

Post by big ears »

Yup, agree. Wife and I got jabbed this morning..... cant wait to get back to the sun..
1-11

Post by 1-11 »

Normality will return. I will be going gangbusters when airlines start flying. And my social circle mirror that.
There is too much at stake to sit back and be swamped by negativity.
I am bouyed by so much optimism being shown by you all, so I hope that I am wrong in my predictions.
However, I do feel that we also need to temper enthusiasm with a bit of realism.

It is also my plan to get back into the air as much and as often as possible, but I fear that we here in our small circle of comfortably off, aviation enthusiasts, we are not indicative of the public at large.

In general terms the economy has taken a massive blow from which it will not recover. The govt. has increased its borrowing to the extent that it is undermining the stability of the currency.
On top of that, we have Climate Change activists vocally cheer-leading the demise of the aviation industry.
Thousands of people have been idled, either temporarily or permanently. Billions of Pounds in lost earnings have been removed from the economy.
Furthermore, restrictions will continue to be in place, many of which will not be removed any time soon. You will still need to wear your mask and socially distance while you are in the swimming pool.
You will not be allowed to board an aircraft without proof of a recent negative Covid-19 test. Same goes for a vaccine, no vaccination certificate – no boarding pass.
Then we need to consider each country’s response to this : eg. If you are from the UK, or any other Covid mutant area, then you will be denied entry.
This Covid pandemic is not going to be erased from our lives any time soon.
To think that we all get a jab in the arm and then we are all back to the pre-covid Halcyon days is, to say the least – childishly naive.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

big ears wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:33 am Yup, agree. Wife and I got jabbed this morning..... cant wait to get back to the sun..
Congrats on your jabs and I too intend taking to the air as soon as possible. Indeed like Hads and most people in here I intend to make up for lost time with a glut of short trips abroad when we are free to do so.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
big ears

Post by big ears »

Clive wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:18 pm
big ears wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:33 am Yup, agree. Wife and I got jabbed this morning..... cant wait to get back to the sun..
Congrats on your jabs and I too intend taking to the air as soon as possible. Indeed like Hads and most people in here I intend to make up for lost time with a glut of short trips abroad when we are free to do so.
I am a little concerned that all those cheap flight that used to be - will no longer be available. Indeed cheap flight may well be a thing of the past - for a good while anyway. On another tack - everybody confident in flying in a MAX?
baystate

Post by baystate »

big ears wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:27 pm On another tack - everybody confident in flying in a MAX?
By way of a notional parable. If a cat always lands on its feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what happens if you tie a piece of buttered toast to the back of a cat.

So...personally I'm not interested in finding out what happens if I step foot on a MAX anytime soon. Then again, I've cancelled or had cancelled by the airline all of my flights for the next 3 months so its unlikely I'll be stepping foot on any plane for a while. Just waiting on one more flight in early April to get pulled by Ryanair, and then for both vaccination for the whole family and an agreed multinational 'vaccine passport' to come into existence before anything else gets booked. Maybe by then I can worry about the MAX issue.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

'Max Hysteria' seems to be threatening the current pandemic for supremacy. Does anyone think Boeing are daft enough to put the aircraft back out there if there were any doubts over it's performance ? :o
1-11

Post by 1-11 »

Does anyone think Boeing are daft enough to put the aircraft back out there if there were any doubts over it's performance ?
Yes, I do.
They were daft enough to risk outsourcing their software to Bangalore just to save a few bucks, so yes I still think they are daft enough.
There is no way I am getting on a Max, or whatever Ryanair and the rest try to rebrand it as.
The B.737 was a wonderful airframe. It was great for its time.
It has now outlived its usefulness, so Boeing need to get back to the drawing board and start a new design from scratch.
It is time for them to stop cutting corners.

.. or they can go to Irkutzk and do a joint venture with some people who still know how to do engineering.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Allen McL wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:20 pm 'Max Hysteria' seems to be threatening the current pandemic for supremacy. Does anyone think Boeing are daft enough to put the aircraft back out there if there were any doubts over it's performance ? :o
No. If it’s certified and the captain thinks it’s safe then it’s safe as far as I’m concerned, given that they are the experts and I’m not.

Mind you, ask me to go on Concorde or any Russian plane and I’d have to politely decline. 😱
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:05 pm [quote="Allen McL" post_id=3076 time=<a href="tel:1612729238">1612729238</a> user_id=90]
'Max Hysteria' seems to be threatening the current pandemic for supremacy. Does anyone think Boeing are daft enough to put the aircraft back out there if there were any doubts over it's performance ? :o
No. If it’s certified and the captain thinks it’s safe then it’s safe as far as I’m concerned, given that they are the experts and I’m not.

Mind you, ask me to go on Concorde or any Russian plane and I’d have to politely decline. 😱
[/quote]

I wouldn’t Board a Russian built aircraft through choice: I’d have to be drunk, drugged and trussed! I remember my old boss telling me to take a look on board the Sukhov SSJ operated by CityJet on a Lourdes charter when my KL departure was delayed. Horrible, grey. Plastic machine....

Having said all that before anyone hits back about 787s being plastic planes I’ve flown on both -800 and -900 series as well as the A350-900. For me, a Boeing person, the A350 wins hands down. A beautiful aircraft and great flights with Finnair and Cathay Pacific.