EDI and bucket and spade flights

Moderators: bill, Clive

southflyer

Re: EDI and bucket and spade flights

Post by southflyer »

PiperOne wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 pm
southflyer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:57 pm Are we really talking about the lack of flights to Tenerife?
I would say that it's a Tui specific issue, plenty Jet2 capacity operating, east and west.
Agreed.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

The point is that TUI are pushing their own aircraft towards EDI now and their customer base. I.e.they will probably soon base 2 there and only 1 at GLA. Yes there are plenty of Tenerife flights from GLA by EasyJet/Jet2. But look at the schedules from EDI by EasyJet/Jet2/Ryanair/TUI. There is now a far greater frequency on this route from EDI as there appears to be on most bucket and speed routes, so GLA days dominance for this market too is about to evaporate.

On another matter, which the tourism industry in Britain seem to be oblivious to, which is as a result of Brexit, the UK (as an act of massive self harm ) as of 1.11.21 are insisting all EU citizens can no longer enter the UK on their ID cards and must have a passport. Only c 10% of EU citizen have passports and are unlikely to get one just to go to UK when they can go to 27 other countries. Therefore there will no doubt be a significant reduction in direct Ryanair/ EasyJet/Wizz/Eurowings etc flights where majority of passengers are EU citizens.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ken1 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:07 pm The point is that TUI are pushing their own aircraft towards EDI now and their customer base. I.e.they will probably soon base 2 there and only 1 at GLA. Yes there are plenty of Tenerife flights from GLA by EasyJet/Jet2. But look at the schedules from EDI by EasyJet/Jet2/Ryanair/TUI. There is now a far greater frequency on this route from EDI as there appears to be on most bucket and speed routes, so GLA days dominance for this market too is about to evaporate.

On another matter, which the tourism industry in Britain seem to be oblivious to, which is as a result of Brexit, the UK (as an act of massive self harm ) as of 1.11.21 are insisting all EU citizens can no longer enter the UK on their ID cards and must have a passport. Only c 10% of EU citizen have passports and are unlikely to get one just to go to UK when they can go to 27 other countries. Therefore there will no doubt be a significant reduction in direct Ryanair/ EasyJet/Wizz/Eurowings etc flights where majority of passengers are EU citizens.
Thought TUI had closed their EDI base?
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
bill

Post by bill »

southflyer wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:57 pm Are we really talking about the lack of flights to Tenerife?
No. We're talking about the rise and rise of EDI eating into our once dominant bucket and spade flights.We've just about lost everything else and this fact alarms me.When does this decline get halted?
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Clive wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 pm
Ken1 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:07 pm The point is that TUI are pushing their own aircraft towards EDI now and their customer base. I.e.they will probably soon base 2 there and only 1 at GLA. Yes there are plenty of Tenerife flights from GLA by EasyJet/Jet2. But look at the schedules from EDI by EasyJet/Jet2/Ryanair/TUI. There is now a far greater frequency on this route from EDI as there appears to be on most bucket and speed routes, so GLA days dominance for this market too is about to evaporate.

Last I was aware they have and any services are aircraft based elsewhere or operated by someone else.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

bill wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:32 pm
No. We're talking about the rise and rise of EDI eating into our once dominant bucket and spade flights.We've just about lost everything else and this fact alarms me.When does this decline get halted?
When an airport operator other than AGS are in charge would be my guess. Highly unlikely though.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:38 pm
Clive wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:29 pm

Last I was aware they have and any services are aircraft based elsewhere or operated by someone else.
Me too.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
ROC10

Post by ROC10 »

I believe EDI's TUI base closes at the end of April as S22 will not see any based flights.

Regarding the TFS flights, it's not uncommon for TUI to reduce the GLA flights (ACE and TFS both down from 2 to 1 weekly and ALC stopped) during the quietest period of the year but the EDI-TFS flights do usually always continue at 2 weekly. Next year the EDI flights are due to be served by the TFS based aircraft.

It's completely wrong to say TUI are shifting their aircraft towards EDI, quite the opposite. I believe GLA is due to have 3 based from S22 so will effectively "take" the EDI aircraft (and hopefully also crew).
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

ROC10 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 pm I believe EDI's TUI base closes at the end of April as S22 will not see any based flights.

Regarding the TFS flights, it's not uncommon for TUI to reduce the GLA flights (ACE and TFS both down from 2 to 1 weekly and ALC stopped) during the quietest period of the year but the EDI-TFS flights do usually always continue at 2 weekly. Next year the EDI flights are due to be served by the TFS based aircraft.

It's completely wrong to say TUI are shifting their aircraft towards EDI, quite the opposite. I believe GLA is due to have 3 based from S22 so will effectively "take" the EDI aircraft (and hopefully also crew).
Exactly.

Sadly it’s an oft-used phrase around here whether there’s anything in it or not.

GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Clive wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:16 pm
ROC10 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 pm I believe EDI's TUI base closes at the end of April as S22 will not see any based flights.

Exactly.

Sadly it’s an oft-used phrase around here whether there’s anything in it or not.
Do we know if the 737Max aircraft being based at GLA permanently or will we go back to a 737-800 base? I am aware we currently have a Max based.