Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 pm
egpffqtv wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:29 pm
Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:17 pm

“Have consolidated”. It’s funny how you think what’s happening now is permanent when history proves that nothing is. Of course Delta could add JFK-GLA when they see a market opportunity. A million times more likely than them adding an EDI service from a mid west hub with hardly any Euro links.

It’s not a lack of faith in GLA management you have, it’s clearly a lack of faith in the GLA catchment area and the inbound draw for business and leisure in Glasgow and the west of Scotland.
Oh be quiet. AGS have failed GLA and well you know it!
I’m a realist, not a conspiracy theorist. Could they have done better? No doubt. But that can be said for every airport and every business in the world. Airlines have been consolidating Scottish ops at a rival airport. Sadly that happens. I well remember in the 1990’s when market forces had airlines consolidating at GLA. It’s real life out there, not a cosy keyboard and armchair.
Edinburgh hadn't woken up in the 1990s - the consolidation / expansion at Glasgow of transatlantic traffic was underpinned by Northwest Orient and Air Canada switching from Prestwick to Glasgow

We have one private equity airport wanting to 'wipe the floor' with the competition to achieve the highest possible EBITDA multiples and market penetration metrics for a potential sale while the other private airport is part of a disparate group of airports desperately trying to reach the minimum EBITDA its bankers will accept for their maturing £705m loans
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:17 pm “Have consolidated”. It’s funny how you think what’s happening now is permanent when history proves that nothing is.
Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 pm Airlines have been consolidating Scottish ops at a rival airport. Sadly that happens.
???
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 pm Could they have done better? No doubt. But that can be said for every airport and every business in the world.
I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not anymore.
Iain

Post by Iain »

It’s not a lack of faith in GLA management you have, it’s clearly a lack of faith in the GLA catchment area and the inbound draw for business and leisure in Glasgow and the west of Scotland.
I don't think most of us do doubt the catchment. We doubt the owners/mangers who've contrived to lose all the airports scheduled US routes after more than 20 years of pretty much continuous service, much of the time on multiple routes (all of which demonstrated demand in the catchment).

We see that apparently US business - particularly inbound - is booming, with Mr Dewar (in the article I quoted in the other thread) saying traffic is 25% up on pre COVID at EDI.

The GLA catchment clearly DOES have many locations that are very popular with US tourists, but GLA clearly is missing out on that. Moreover this boom should be a huge boon to helping GLA get US service back, but AGS don't seem to be capitalising on it, whilst EDI is.

Personally I don't see DL or UA coming back anytime soon, it wouldn't surprise me if they've been given a deal at EDI in return of exclusivity. The better chances might be new entrants like EI UK, JetBlue, Norse and Frontier...or persuade EK to operate a DXB-GLA-USA routing!

The new CEO certainly seems to say the right things, but he needs to produce results asap.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:12 pm
Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 pm Could they have done better? No doubt. But that can be said for every airport and every business in the world.
Maybe I just know a bit more of the real world reality in which GLA has to operate. For one thing most Americans don’t have a passport. In fact many don’t have much at all. For another, most don’t know Scotland exists. For some who do, they think we are northern part of England. For those a bit more educated they may have heard of Edinburgh and the quaint old town and castle where people play bagpipes and wear kilts. The numbers are getting small now as a particularly worldly wise minority have heard of more than one Scottish city and know what the different areas - very short distances apart by American standards - have to offer intrepid visitors.

GLA took the North American business from PIK in 1990 because the monopoly restrictions were lifted and EDI was not an option. It had a small handful of scheduled international flights at that time with most pax just flying to London. Unfortunately for GLA EDI is a real player and a real option now.

Folks wanted competition. That’s what they got.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:10 pm
I don't think most of us do doubt the catchment. We doubt the owners/mangers who've contrived to lose all the airports scheduled US routes after more than 20 years of pretty much continuous service, much of the time on multiple routes (all of which demonstrated demand in the catchment).

We see that apparently US business - particularly inbound - is booming, with Mr Dewar (in the article I quoted in the other thread) saying traffic is 25% up on pre COVID at EDI.

The GLA catchment clearly DOES have many locations that are very popular with US tourists, but GLA clearly is missing out on that. Moreover this boom should be a huge boon to helping GLA get US service back, but AGS don't seem to be capitalising on it, whilst EDI is.

Personally I don't see DL or UA coming back anytime soon, it wouldn't surprise me if they've been given a deal at EDI in return of exclusivity. The better chances might be new entrants like EI UK, JetBlue, Norse and Frontier...or persuade EK to operate a DXB-GLA-USA routing!

The new CEO certainly seems to say the right things, but he needs to produce results asap.
Agree with most of that. The only thing I’d say is today is never the end of the story. The only certainty is change. Folks who doubt that only need to look back at the air travel industry in blocks of ten years. And there only are 4 or 5 of those since mass air travel began. The change has been phenomenal and there is zero chance that today is when change stopped happening.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Iain wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:10 pm

I had wondered if EK could be tempted to reintroduce the 2nd daily with an onwards trip to NYC. Would seem to fill two holes in one move
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

southflyer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 5:12 pm
:lol: :lol:
hads

Post by hads »

The only certainty is change. Folks who doubt that only need to look back at the air travel industry in blocks of ten years. And there only are 4 or 5 of those since mass air travel began. The change has been phenomenal and there is zero chance that today is when change stopped happening.

Taking this to its natural conclusion, any TATL development is many years away. Constant change is absolutely a taken in anything. I dont think that Glasgow Airport has the luxury of waiting for change no matter how it materialises.
We are stuck in a pincer. PIK to the West. Edinburgh to the East. Airlines choosing Edinburgh as launch site due to critical mass and inbound tourism.

The new boy knows this of course. He has as much as said it in his article. So its his problem to sort. If he cant; hope he does, how many CEO s does it take to remedy?
Its like a stagnant foorball club. Constantly changing Manager in the hope it will be allright, whilst your biggest opponent doesnt change manager becasue they dont have to.

Cliffe knows whats to be done so lets wait and see if he delivers.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:50 am The only certainty is change. Folks who doubt that only need to look back at the air travel industry in blocks of ten years. And there only are 4 or 5 of those since mass air travel began. The change has been phenomenal and there is zero chance that today is when change stopped happening.

Taking this to its natural conclusion, any TATL development is many years away. Constant change is absolutely a taken in anything. I dont think that Glasgow Airport has the luxury of waiting for change no matter how it materialises.
We are stuck in a pincer. PIK to the West. Edinburgh to the East. Airlines choosing Edinburgh as launch site due to critical mass and inbound tourism.

The new boy knows this of course. He has as much as said it in his article. So its his problem to sort. If he cant; hope he does, how many CEO s does it take to remedy?
Its like a stagnant foorball club. Constantly changing Manager in the hope it will be allright, whilst your biggest opponent doesnt change manager becasue they dont have to.

Cliffe knows whats to be done so lets wait and see if he delivers.
Agree about why airlines are choosing EDI. Why wouldn’t they?

Agree with football analogy. Maybe AGS should appoint Barry Robson 🤪