1-11s,707s and DC-10s

Moderators: bill, Clive

bill

Re: 1-11s,707s and DC-10s

Post by bill »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:08 pm
bill wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:45 pm Right, we're off on a thread drift but while we are I'm taking full advantage. :D . I wan't to know the answer to the upcoming question and if folks start throwing toys out the pram they'll be on a wee holiday until the Euro's are over, at least.
So, my question,(because I'm genuinely interested), how many airlines fly into EDI as a comparison to GLA?
For this summer;

EDI: 35
GLA: 15

EK will take EDI to 36 and SunExpress will take GLA to 16
Thanks George, question answered so now back on to the thread subject of 1-11's, B707's and DC-10's.
PiperOne

Re: 1-11s,707s and DC-10s

Post by PiperOne »

The One-Eleven at GLA was very much a scheduled service aeroplane in the early days. British Eagle and British United came over from Renfrew with their Heathrow and Gatwick services respectively. Laker were the first to employ the type regularly on charters, using one of their long-range series 300s on a weekly Tenerife service in winter 68/69, which operated as a split load with Teesside. Caledonian were next to bring the type to the charter scene, with a weekly Palma non-based rotation in winter 69/70. Meanwhile, BEA had introduced the type on their daily (Mo-Fr) GLA-MAN-DUS-THF(Berlin Tempelhof) service, which allowed aircraft to rotate from Internal German services.

The turning point for the 1-11, and indeed the 707, at GLA was the 1972 runway extension to its current length, which allowed the twinjet to reach its maximum range, with flights to Rome and Naples appearing. It also allowed Donaldson to switch its based operation from Britannias across to their ex-Pan Am B707-321s, and DC-8s of Air Spain, Iberia (for Aviaco), and Loftleidir joined the party.

The DC-10 was always thin on the ground at GLA, but Laker operated a couple of proving flights, G-AZZC making the first visit of the type in November 72. Visitors were sporadic after that, with various operators, but it wasn't until the arrival of Northwest in 1990 that it became a regular.