PIK

Moderators: bill, Clive

Allen McL

Re: PIK SPACEPORT

Post by Allen McL »

Bearsden wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:41 pm http://www.parabolicarc.com/2021/09/21/ ... rtnership/

Interesting to read that 'with Astraius, the leading UK based, commercially operated horizontal ‘air launch’ company.' - The UK entity was only formed last year however its origins are in the US although a number of directors are British
I don't know how many stories I've heard now about proposed satellite launch systems from PIK ? Surely you just need any airport with a long enough runway ? It all sounds like pie in the sky to me.
GeorgeNTravels

Re: PIK

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Ryanair planning 38 weekly flights from PIK to 9 destinations next summer those being:

Alicante - 6 weekly
Barcelona - 3 weekly
Faro - 5 weekly
Gran Canaria - 2 weekly
Lanzarote - 2 weekly
Malaga - 5 weekly
Murcia International - 2 weekly
Palma de Mallorca - 7 weekly
Tenerife - 6 weekly

2 based aircraft and the rest operated by visiting aircraft.
atuk

Post by atuk »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:26 pm Ryanair planning 38 weekly flights from PIK to 9 destinations next summer those being:

Alicante - 6 weekly
Barcelona - 3 weekly
Faro - 5 weekly
Gran Canaria - 2 weekly
Lanzarote - 2 weekly
Malaga - 5 weekly
Tenerife - 6 weekly

Thanks for posting. The only service not already duplicated from GLA/EDI is Murcia!

Hardly adding anything to the Scottish economy as these destinations cater for outbound tourism with nothing for inbound and if there is the percentage is minimal!
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:16 am
GeorgeNTravels wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:26 pm Ryanair planning 38 weekly flights from PIK to 9 destinations next summer those being:

Alicante - 6 weekly
Barcelona - 3 weekly
Faro - 5 weekly
Gran Canaria - 2 weekly
Lanzarote - 2 weekly
Malaga - 5 weekly
Tenerife - 6 weekly

Thanks for posting. The only service not already duplicated from GLA/EDI is Murcia!

Hardly adding anything to the Scottish economy as these destinations cater for outbound tourism with nothing for inbound and if there is the percentage is minimal!
It’s serving the people of Ayrshire going to the popular holiday hotspots with the additional niches of budget conscious and DIY holidays/second home customers. Little or nothing to do with Eddy. As, in reality, not everything is.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

Almost nothing to do with Edinburgh. But an awful lot to do with the Glasgow conurbation.
Thats 38 weekly flights Glasgow isnt handling and at the current level of output, God knows, they could be doing with them.
Virtually every single person I know in the west of Scotland use PIK.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:28 am Almost nothing to do with Edinburgh. But an awful lot to do with the Glasgow conurbation.
Thats 38 weekly flights Glasgow isnt handling and at the current level of output, God knows, they could be doing with them.
Yes indeed. Sooner someone buys it and closes the terminal the better.

Wish I knew why GLA doesn’t do literally whatever it takes to snatch that Ryanair contract.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
viscount

Post by viscount »

Glad you said the terminal and not the airport.

I don’t know if the terminal could be turn into something like a world class aviation museum and hotel.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

viscount wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:57 pm Glad you said the terminal and not the airport.
I’ve been saying that for years. For all of its other aviation functions PIK is unique and invaluable to Scotland. No one would want us to lose that to England or Ireland or wherever as long as the terminal ops were gone.

It’s going to be even more strategically important to Scotland in the future, as our air freight hub and as one of our military facilities, I’d wager.

GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Clive wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:44 pm
hads wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:28 am Almost nothing to do with Edinburgh. But an awful lot to do with the Glasgow conurbation.
Yes indeed. Sooner someone buys it and closes the terminal the better.

Wish I knew why GLA doesn’t do literally whatever it takes to snatch that Ryanair contract.
My only theory is maybe the Government is offering some discount simply to keep them there while they own the airport, imagine the headlines if the Scottish Govt was owning the airport with no commercial flights.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Alicante - 6 weekly
Barcelona - 3 weekly
Faro - 5 weekly
Gran Canaria - 2 weekly
Lanzarote - 2 weekly
Malaga - 5 weekly
Tenerife - 6 weekly

Also worth highlighting that Ibiza has been floating on and off schedules over the last 18 months, looking at the spreadsheet I have with flights on it, this would be operated by a visiting aircraft unless Pisa was added back to the schedule as well.