Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

GeorgeNTravels

Re: Edinburgh

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Ekally1 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:03 pm Edi -mco not spectacular either by all accounts ...
Just shows what happens when you let money talk, suspect GLA management are laughing at them right now.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Davieboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:19 pm [quote=Ekally1 post_id=6748 time=<a href="tel:1653062590">1653062590</a> user_id=50]
Edi -mco not spectacular either by all accounts ...
What accounts are these?
[/quote]

Well I’ve met it twice and have colleagues who work on check in and boarding. Not spectacular is way off mark, even the disembarking crew remark how busy they were,
Iain

Post by Iain »

Clive wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:46 pm
GKirk wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:33 pm EDI-BGI has been taken off sale by Virgin. Likely means the route is dropped.
Everyone knew that route wouldn’t work.
Yup, it was always likely to struggle.

Yet EDI still had the powers of persuasion to get VS to start it. How did they do that, given that even we could see it wasn't a good bet?.....and I'm pretty sure it was nothing to do with inbound tourist demand - the streets of Edinburgh are most definitely not full of planeloads of tourists from Barbados! :lol:

Wrt MCO, I find it difficult to believe it'll be anything other than very busy - if for no other reason than the dearth of FL capacity from Scotland this summer compared to pre-covid.
GKirk wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:33 pm
SunExpess to increase EDI-AYT to daily for S23 as part of a UK wide expansion which see's new UK destinations at Bristol and Newcastle.
I would think these flights may well essentially relocate many AYT pax to EDI that pre-covid we're flying from GLA on TCX. So GLA failed to replace that capacity at GLA, even though the the pax were demonstrably flying from here and EDI succeeded even though they weren't flying from there. :roll:

I'll be interested to see the AYT numbers and market share for S22 v S19.
PiperOne wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:12 pm
Davieboy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:42 pm I see EDI branded a local bar in Bergen for a party at Routes 2022, including some key facts on the windows (while ironically a Glasgow team was on the TV!) I can't read all the information on the windows, but it looks like one of them says "7 of the 10 most visited attractions in Scotland are in Edinburgh". Looks a fairly impressive and professional event.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/pavel-ha ... 45408-oQTo

https://www.facebook.com/thelaneagency/ ... 5005521917
I notice from the attendees list that AGS was represented as a group, rather than individual airports, whereas MAG had separate representation for each airport, and GIP wasn't mentioned in the Edinburgh blurb. Compare the front page summaries on here.

https://www.routesonline.com/events/209 ... ainContent
We don't know how it actually worked out on the ground, but if they are failing to promote GLA individually then it's unsatisfactory and makes a mockery of what Provan was saying in his recent letter about upping the game wrt to promoting Glasgow. Let's remember what he said:
This means, as a city, we will need to work even harder to sell Glasgow as an attractive destination and restore the connectivity that will drive our recovery.

It is widely accepted that a region with strong connectivity can expect to enjoy increased levels of trade, tourism and prosperity. It is also the case that airlines fly to cities, not airports. Now, more than ever, is the time to reinvigorate our team approach to route development and destination marketing.
If Provan meant what he said then Routes Europe should surely have been the start of "working harder" and "reinvigorating" their approach, but it doesn't seem like it on first impressions.

No doubt they would justify it on cost cutting grounds, but if there's one area where spending needs to be maintained its surely in business and route dev to help recovery......and if your biggest competitor is throwing big parties and slick marketing events then maybe you need to keep up.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Flew into Edinburgh on Monday from Prague, border queue was non existent, but baggage reclaim was a mess. Just people walking about trying to find staff for assistance and nobody there to help.

Took the tram to Haymarket which still costs less than the GLA bus to the city.

Overall airport experience I would say GLA is marginally ahead, but transport links goes to Edin any day.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:09 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:03 pm Edi -mco not spectacular either by all accounts ...
Just shows what happens when you let money talk, suspect GLA management are laughing at them right now.
Like EDI management have been laughing at GLA for years, poaching all their business?!
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Quite frankly GLA Management have got nothing to laugh about.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Sharpal7 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:45 pm
+1

VS are still operating from EDI and not at all from GLA.

GLA now has no service to MCO.

I know who's laughing and they ain't at GLA (I hope!).
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Iain wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:57 pm
Sharpal7 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:45 pm

+1

VS are still operating from EDI and not at all from GLA.

GLA now has no service to MCO.

I know who's laughing and they ain't at GLA (I hope!).
Every single person in this forum witnessed Virgin management say Edinburgh provides a gateway to launch new destinations and grow.

ITS INDISPUTABLE THAT STATEMENT WAS CRAP.

VS serve MCO twice weekly during the summer, a mere shell of what GLA was. Everyone can see that VS blatantly tried to spin the move as a positive and that it hasn’t worked.

If Edinburgh was successful for them they would have a year round presence at the airport (they don’t). Orlando would be far more frequent (it isn’t)

My original point was meant to be taken as a sarcastic take at the sheer cluster f that Virgin have made.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they come back to Glasgow.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Davieboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:54 pm
What are you suggesting should talk instead of money?
Historical performances of Orlando from Edinburgh.
Brand Awareness in both cities.
Where the market is based for them.

There’s 3 right there that should have raised immediate red flags
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:51 pm
Davieboy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:54 pm
What are you suggesting should talk instead of money?
Historical performances of Orlando from Edinburgh.
Brand Awareness in both cities.
Where the market is based for them.

There’s 3 right there that should have raised immediate red flags
Yes, landing charges are only a small part of the picture.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.