Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Bearsden »

Quite simply 'making your assets sweat' thus increasing your EBITDA and potential selling price valuation and proactively widening the gap between you and your competition by making sure you are 'single source' on many routes and ideally they are 'single source' on none
viscount

Post by viscount »

I don’t think they have a chance with Icelandair they already have EasyJet serving this route
My bets are on new West jet routes and a return of EK
atuk

Post by atuk »

Davieboy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:09 am [quote=viscount post_id=7776 time=<a href="tel:1663968875">1663968875</a> user_id=395]
I don’t think they have a chance with Icelandair they already have EasyJet serving this route
Mainly irrelevant, as the two airlines generally serve two distinct markets.
[/quote]

They do however EK is a much bigger fish than FI. The rumour mill abounds regards their return- even so far as abandoning GLA! I personally don’t think that would happen however EK have just announced frequency increases for DUS and HAM but no mention of GLA.

Meanwhile QR is bursting at the seams daily with lots of west coast passengers whom I suspect wouldn’t be there if EK were double daily from GLA. QR also rumoured to be increasing EDI frequency….. watch this space!
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Unfortunately it looks like the days of US hub routes from GLA are over.
atuk

Post by atuk »

The really worrying aspect of theVisit Scotland comments is there is plenty of plaudits for EDI; but no mention of GLA.

For the record the second wave consists of UA to EWR and ORD, WS and AC to YYZ, DL to BOS.the third wave co-inciting with the return of early EZY and FR aircraft comprises UA to IAD, DL to ATL and JFK, QR to DOH.

First wave wide bodied arrivals are QR to DOH and VS to MCO.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Davieboy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:09 am
viscount wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:34 pm I don’t think they have a chance with Icelandair they already have EasyJet serving this route
Mainly irrelevant, as the two airlines generally serve two distinct markets.
An interesting one as normally I would suggest this would fall under making sure you are 'single source' on many routes and ideally they are 'single source' on none but of course this would add indirect capacity to North America although relatively insignificant at peak 5 pw on a B38M
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Davieboy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am
southflyer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:16 am Unfortunately it looks like the days of US hub routes from GLA are over.
Remember this though from one of our more ITK posters:
Clive wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:31 pm Don’t care about Turnhoose but I fully expect JetBlue and United at GLA next year.

We’ll probably see WestJet consolidating Scottish ops at GLA too IMHO.
I was not under the impression that said poster was 'in the know'.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:59 pm
Davieboy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am
southflyer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:16 am Unfortunately it looks like the days of US hub routes from GLA are over.
Remember this though from one of our more ITK posters:
Clive wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:31 pm Don’t care about Turnhoose but I fully expect JetBlue and United at GLA next year.

We’ll probably see WestJet consolidating Scottish ops at GLA too IMHO.
I was not under the impression that said poster was 'in the know'.
It’s not what you know but who you know.

But if anyone here thinks there isn’t a market worth serving from GLA they are probably in the wrong place.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Clive wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:03 pm
It’s not what you know but who you know.

But if anyone here thinks there isn’t a market worth serving from GLA they are probably in the wrong place.
Yes, absolutely. You only need to look at the amount of passengers to the USA and amount of American tourists visiting Glasgow pre-COVOD to see the market. With airlines seemingly loading up routes and frequencies at Edinburgh it should be a clear market opportunity for other airlines to come to GLA to serve that market.

The problem it seems is that the people in charge at GLA don't appear to be particularly effective at selling these opportunities.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Davieboy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:37 am
Clive wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:03 pm But if anyone here thinks there isn’t a market worth serving from GLA they are probably in the wrong place.
Iain wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:50 am Yes, absolutely. You only need to look at the amount of passengers to the USA and amount of American tourists visiting Glasgow pre-COVOD to see the market. With airlines seemingly loading up routes and frequencies at Edinburgh it should be a clear market opportunity for other airlines to come to GLA to serve that market.

The problem it seems is that the people in charge at GLA don't appear to be particularly effective at selling these opportunities.
I've no doubt that there is a market for people from North America who want to travel to Glasgow. But it's a small part of a much larger market of people from North America who want to travel to and then around Scotland. Included in that much larger market are people from North America who want to travel to Edinburgh (a market in itself larger than the market for people from North America who want to travel solely to Glasgow). If US airlines can efficiently serve those larger Scotland and Edinburgh markets by providing wide-body services to Edinburgh, what incentive do they have to serve the smaller Glasgow market directly, especially as ground transportation between Glasgow and Edinburgh airport is straightforward (and the distance is fairly short by North American standards)?
Indeed.
Some people insist the airports are substitutional for each other so presumably an airline could serve the same Scottish market from GLA but why would they? Unfortunately GLA bosses are in a far more difficult position than their counterparts at EDI.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.