Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

viscount

Re: Edinburgh

Post by viscount »

southflyer wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:57 pm Slots apparently filed for a new transatlantic route in 2023, not sure where. Possibly return of AA?
Most likely it’s the new Atlanta services starting next summer with Delta
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

viscount wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:12 pm
southflyer wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:57 pm Slots apparently filed for a new transatlantic route in 2023, not sure where. Possibly return of AA?
Most likely it’s the new Atlanta services starting next summer with Delta
Nope, that's already been announced. This is something that isn't in the public domain yet.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Clive wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:09 pm
southflyer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:32 am
Clive wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:16 am You don’t think there’s much of a market for this kind of JFK route at GLA or richer pickings than your option given the competition in place at Turnhoose?
Of course there is a market but it's clear that EDI have a monopoly on routes to the US at the moment and there's no indication of that slowing anytime soon. I have virtually no faith in the airport managment turning it around, either. US flights from GLA are effectively dead.
A new CEO has been announced today. The only certainty is change so I’d never say never. Ultimately the market will decide. This is why it’s incongruent for people who moan about a lack of routes from GLA supporting routes from rival airports. Turkeys and Xmas. A self fulfilling prophecy.
That's not how it works though. The airlines and airports know where pax are originating. You can't complain if people are choosing to travel twice or thrice the distance to an airport where you have a plethora of non-stop and connecting options at at highly competitive frequencies and/or prices because their local airport cannot compete.

GLA is no longer my local but it goes without saying that the majority of my international trips this year would have been very difficult from GLA.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Lufthansa are increasing FRA-EDI to 3x daily in S23, with the addition of a night stopper. Operated by A320neo.

LH1526 2150 FRA - EDI 2245
LH1527 0605 EDI - FRA 0855
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:09 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:09 pm
southflyer wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:32 am

Of course there is a market but it's clear that EDI have a monopoly on routes to the US at the moment and there's no indication of that slowing anytime soon. I have virtually no faith in the airport managment turning it around, either. US flights from GLA are effectively dead.
A new CEO has been announced today. The only certainty is change so I’d never say never. Ultimately the market will decide. This is why it’s incongruent for people who moan about a lack of routes from GLA supporting routes from rival airports. Turkeys and Xmas. A self fulfilling prophecy.
That's not how it works though. The airlines and airports know where pax are originating. You can't complain if people are choosing to travel twice or thrice the distance to an airport where you have a plethora of non-stop and connecting options at at highly competitive frequencies and/or prices because their local airport cannot compete.

GLA is no longer my local but it goes without saying that the majority of my international trips this year would have been very difficult from GLA.
But not any more difficult than they ever were (USA excepted). Because another airport get a new route doesn’t mean that it’s more difficult from your local airport, if you see what I mean. For example, on my Toronto trip I never even contemplated another Scottish airport as my departure point. If it hadn’t been for the Icelandair sale I wouldn’t have gone at all in this instance.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

WestJet potentially about to cut GLA and EDI-YYZ and replace with a YYC/YVR-EDI flight? Nothing definite, but being bandied about elsewhere.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

GKirk wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:42 pm WestJet potentially about to cut GLA and EDI-YYZ and replace with a YYC/YVR-EDI flight? Nothing definite, but being bandied about elsewhere.
This has some weight behind it sadly, all Scotland to YYZ flights are showing at £891pp each way and WestJet no longer tell you that the routes are resuming in May/June.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

WestJet have requested slots for YYC-EDI and to increase YYZ-EDI. Icelandair have also requested slots for daily KEF.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

southflyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:18 pm WestJet have requested slots for YYC-EDI and to increase YYZ-EDI. Icelandair have also requested slots for daily KEF.
If this happens ... GLA may as well be a back water airport
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Ekally1 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:30 pm
southflyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:18 pm WestJet have requested slots for YYC-EDI and to increase YYZ-EDI. Icelandair have also requested slots for daily KEF.
If this happens ... GLA may as well be a back water airport
Anyone who finds this a surprise needs their heads checked.