Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Paris

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Paris »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:47 pm I really hate edi .. just saying
What’s to hate? Not a bad airport to use in general, I’ve been through worse. It’s maybe a bit small for how busy it’s become, but new wide body ‘pier’& second international arrivals hall has improved the journey experience. Access by car, bus, train & tram have improved a great deal, but maybe some work still needed. The route availability and frequencies offered to the public are second to none in this country… It was a backwater just waiting for good management & investment. Wish I had been able to take EDI to ‘Dragons Den’ all those years ago…. They’d of chewed my fekkkin arm off for a bit…again (IMO) What’s to hate?
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

southflyer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:45 am easyJet adding 1x weekly Santorini from June, joining Jet2 on the route.
Yeah another example of the airlines behaving like sheep. Why not try it from GLA?
atuk

Post by atuk »

buddyboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 am [quote=southflyer post_id=9188 time=<a href="tel:1680219932">1680219932</a> user_id=201]
easyJet adding 1x weekly Santorini from June, joining Jet2 on the route.
Yeah another example of the airlines behaving like sheep. Why not try it from GLA?
[/quote]

Well Air Canada did fly from Glasgow when they had Star Alliance partners bmi and Lufthansa.

Now they fly from EDI and have United, SAS, Aegean, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, all of which can offer connectivity not to mention Qatar where passengers can connect to and from Doha. Not so much sheep as going where hub and spoke traffic already exists.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 am
buddyboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 am [quote=southflyer post_id=9188 time=<a href="tel:1680219932">1680219932</a> user_id=201]
Well Air Canada did fly from Glasgow when they had Star Alliance partners bmi and Lufthansa.

Now they fly from EDI and have United, SAS, Aegean, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, all of which can offer connectivity not to mention Qatar where passengers can connect to and from Doha. Not so much sheep as going where hub and spoke traffic already exists.
[/quote]

Reckon he’s talking about easyJet adding EDI-JTR which Jet2 are already on. Could easyJet have done it from GLA instead or will Jet2 switch it to GLA in future because of this? Maybe, but I’d say there are better opportunities than that which easyJet could do from GLA if they had the metal.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:35 am [quote=atuk post_id=9191 time=<a href="tel:1680250409">1680250409</a> user_id=75]
[quote=buddyboy post_id=9190 time=<a href="tel:1680248520">1680248520</a> user_id=77]
[quote=southflyer post_id=9188 time=<a href="tel:<a href="tel:1680219932">1680219932</a>">1680219932</a> user_id=201]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Reckon he’s talking about easyJet adding EDI-JTR which Jet2 are already on. Could easyJet have done it from GLA instead or will Jet2 switch it to GLA in future because of this? Maybe, but I’d say there are better opportunities than that which easyJet could do from GLA if they had the metal.
[/quote]

Agreed, Clive. Thomas Cook would have been a natural for JTR, more so as they flew there from NCL. In days gone by I would have hoped TUI might have tried this but given their woeful attempt at Kefalonia, the BY055A, lasted a single season I don’t think they would even consider new Greek destinations unless they have ample TUI, Robinson and RIU properties to fill. That said Crete has plenty and there is no GLA-HER.

I’ll need to win the Euro Millions and parachute myself, with cash and shareholder clout, into TUI Towers and turn things round. Btw their share price has collapsed again with a rights issue cash call for shareholders.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Jet2 appear to be ending Skiathos at the end of this season, possibly one to move to GLA?
atuk

Post by atuk »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:10 pm Jet2 appear to be ending Skiathos at the end of this season, possibly one to move to GLA?
If only, another old Thomas Cook route ex Newcastle. Right now all these new destinations are appearing at EDI instead. Not necessarily a happy bunny.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

buddyboy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 am
southflyer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:45 am easyJet adding 1x weekly Santorini from June, joining Jet2 on the route.
With the airlines behaving like sheep supply exceeds demand so prices are in many cases significantly lower than GLA - a friend who regularly flies to the Canaries from GLA has switched to EDI faced with £900 ex GLA v £500 ex EDI
viscount

Post by viscount »

Is it like for like same airline, or are there some differences
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

viscount wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:34 pm Is it like for like same airline, or are there some differences
Sorry, I don't know full details except it is to/from Lanzarote - timings will be very similar but I suspect it is different airline

Jet2 frequency is similar from GLA & EDI at 4/5 pw

GLA only has TUI at 2 pw while EDI has Ryanair at 4 pw and easyJet at 2pw, not forgetting PIK with Ryanair at 2 pw