Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Planeenthusiast

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Planeenthusiast »

W23

Some interesting requests

Not all requested actually operate as we know.

Hainan - request to operate in W23
Emirates - request suggest daily service (if it operates)
Delta - increase in seats. Extension of one of the seasonal? Atlanta extended?
United - increase in seats
BA - large increase in seats on LHR route.

Let’s see what actually operates.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

Not all requested actually operate as we know.
Correct
Emirates - request suggest daily service (if it operates) -
Emirates have already said EDI will not return before GLA is back at pre-covid capacity.
Delta - increase in seats. Extension of one of the seasonal? Atlanta extended?

No chance! Delta has just canned their winter EDI-JFK flights. If they can't sustain JFK in the winter than ATL doesn't stand a chance.

United really are missing a trick not returning to GLA.
viscount

Post by viscount »

Hi all
Can we all forget about EDI they have their own forum, let here more about Glasgow city and Glasgow Airport
The EDI thread is the biggest on this forum, Glasgow is spelt with a G not a E
There is plenty going on in the west Leave the East to there forum
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

viscount wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:48 pm Hi all
Can we all forget about EDI they have their own forum, let here more about Glasgow city and Glasgow Airport
Been saying this for years.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

You could always just not read this thread ;)
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

I agree.

Actually, it's one of the reasons I recently joined this forum. As a lurker and long time reader I have enjoyed this forum in regards to keeping up with developments at Glasgow Airport, both the good and unfortunately the bad. However, what ruins this forum for me is the arrogant EDI fan boys who populate with one purpose, to boast. I wanted to feedback to those who run the forum that while it is of course their forum to do as they see fit, as a user who's only interest in Scottish aviation is Glasgow Airport my user experience is spoiled by what can only be described as ED fanboy spam.

This is a Glasgow Airport Forum and should be here primarily to discuss Glasgow Airport. I expect anyone signing upto and taking part in a Glasgow Airport Forum to have GLA's best interests at heart. Unfortunately, I don't believe this to be the case. We have a forum where there are members who only post about new routes at EDI or rumours of new business at EDI. These members are nowhere to be seen when airlines cut capacity at EDI, they like to hide such developments under the carpet and they've certainly never been seen discussing positive developments at GLA. They have no interest in GLA other than its demise. We really need to ask why these members are here? Why would anyone join a Glasgow Airport Forum just to post about new routes at EDI? To me the answer is obvious but I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions.

The Edinburgh thread on this forum should be a sideshow and nothing more, there for GLA enthusiasts to discuss if they wish, similar to the threads on this site for NCL, MAN, LPL etc. You don't see those threads polluted by local fan boys. We don't even see it with PIK or ABZ. It's exclusively an Edinburgh obsession with Glasgow that seemingly we are allowing to fester and pollute this forum.

In summary, keep the EDI thread but only as a small sideshow similar to the other aforementioned airport threads but only for GLA enthusiasts to use. Get rid of all the EDI fanboys. They already pollute Pprune and airliners.net, they don't need to infest here too.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

FlyGLA - as I say, I’ve been saying much of that for years. I wanted to get rid of the EDI thread because it’s nothing but hassle. When the mods act we are accused of being Nazi’s by people who then get banned for life so we moderate with a light hand. I held a poll to see what the consensus was on the EDI crap and the majority wanted to keep it. So it stayed, much to my chagrin

We’ll see what happens next.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

FlyGLA wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:04 am
I agree.

Actually, it's one of the reasons I recently joined this forum. As a lurker and long time reader I have enjoyed this forum in regards to keeping up with developments at Glasgow Airport, both the good and unfortunately the bad. However, what ruins this forum for me is the arrogant EDI fan boys who populate with one purpose, to boast. I wanted to feedback to those who run the forum that while it is of course their forum to do as they see fit, as a user who's only interest in Scottish aviation is Glasgow Airport my user experience is spoiled by what can only be described as ED fanboy spam.

This is a Glasgow Airport Forum and should be here primarily to discuss Glasgow Airport. I expect anyone signing upto and taking part in a Glasgow Airport Forum to have GLA's best interests at heart. Unfortunately, I don't believe this to be the case. We have a forum where there are members who only post about new routes at EDI or rumours of new business at EDI. These members are nowhere to be seen when airlines cut capacity at EDI, they like to hide such developments under the carpet and they've certainly never been seen discussing positive developments at GLA. They have no interest in GLA other than its demise. We really need to ask why these members are here? Why would anyone join a Glasgow Airport Forum just to post about new routes at EDI? To me the answer is obvious but I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions.

The Edinburgh thread on this forum should be a sideshow and nothing more, there for GLA enthusiasts to discuss if they wish, similar to the threads on this site for NCL, MAN, LPL etc. You don't see those threads polluted by local fan boys. We don't even see it with PIK or ABZ. It's exclusively an Edinburgh obsession with Glasgow that seemingly we are allowing to fester and pollute this forum.

In summary, keep the EDI thread but only as a small sideshow similar to the other aforementioned airport threads but only for GLA enthusiasts to use. Get rid of all the EDI fanboys. They already pollute Pprune and airliners.net, they don't need to infest here too.
Just don't read the Edinburgh thread if you dont like it. It's as simple as that. Jeezy peeps man
atuk

Post by atuk »

Well I’m a member of the GLA forum who actually works in EDI, just as at one time I was GLA based working in ABZ, EDI and PIK.

GLA has been my local airport for many, many decades, however I now live and work in the east of Scotland so I take an active interest in ALL of Scotland’s airports.

It’s sad to see the decline at GLA however it has to be said that the dominant airport in Scotland is now EDI like it or lump it. Yes there are cut backs on some routes: it would make great sense for some sort or rebalancing to take place as many West of Scotland accents are heard in the checkin areas, concourse and gates. I put that down to the fact there are so many EZY, FR and LS aircraft based serving many routes which could be operated from GLA of only the stable of based aircraft was increased.

That said for many years now the emphasis of scheduled services both European and long haul has been on EDI and not GLA. It’s easy to understand why then that EDI has become so dominant as it has now.

I fly from all three main airports:ABZ which is 66 miles north, EDI 59 miles south and GLA 92 miles to the south west. My most recent flights were from and to GLA with the European sectors ex LGW returning to LHR. My next planned trip is from GLA to MUC out and back via LHR. I have Oneworld tier status so it makes sense to use BA, or any other Oneworld carrier therefore EDI is the only one which would tick the box for another airline be it Finnair or Qatar.

Sometimes flight availability and or frequency is the governing factor - it’s really each peachy between ABZ or EDI mileage wise. While GLA is the furthest away I have family there and it’s good to depart or arrive at my old base airport.
Last edited by atuk on Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

GKirk wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:10 pm
Just don't read the Edinburgh thread if you dont like it. It's as simple as that. Jeezy peeps man
It's a Glasgow Airport Forum. If you want to discuss EDI then join an Edinburgh Airport forum or post on the many EDI-spam filled threads on Pprune or Airliners.net. Simple as that.

If I wanted to read the constant dribble from EDI-fanboys I'd go on Pprune but as someone who's sole interest in Scottish aviation is Glasgow Airport I'm not sure why myself and the other members who are only interested in GLA and GLA only should have to put up with the constant EDI boasting. As I said you don't see such activity on MAN, NCL, LPL or even PIK and ABZ threads. Only EDI. The famous Edinburgh obsession with Glasgow. The question is why we allow this to fester. Keep the EDI thread if people want to discuss EDI as an aside, but get rid of the EDI-fanboys.

If its so simple then answer me this Gkirk, there are members on this forum who only post about new routes on the EDI thread. You will not see them post negative news regarding EDI. You will not see them posting in any threads about GLA. They are only seen boasting about new routes from EDI or how every flight from EDI is always full. Why are these members here? Why would anyone join a Glasgow Airport Forum just to post about new routes at EDI? What was their motive for joining a Glasgow Airport Forum only to discuss EDI? It's the aviation equivalent of a Celtic fan joining a Rangers forum to boast about Celtic winning a treble. Anyone doing so would very quickly be banned and rightly so but seemingly, not here.

My issue isn't with the EDI thread as such. EDI can be a relevant discussion, as a side. My issue is it is blatantly being abused by EDI fanboys as a platform to boast and ill-wish upon GLA.
Clive wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:00 pm FlyGLA - as I say, I’ve been saying much of that for years. I wanted to get rid of the EDI thread because it’s nothing but hassle. When the mods act we are accused of being Nazi’s by people who then get banned for life so we moderate with a light hand. I held a poll to see what the consensus was on the EDI crap and the majority wanted to keep it. So it stayed, much to my chagrin

We’ll see what happens next.
Well no forum is a democracy. If you own and run the show, it's your money and time supporting the platform. If you want the EDI thread and the EDI fanboys gone ;)

Interesting that there was a vote, though. I guess the EDI fanboys voted in favour of keeping their willy-waving platform? I suggest you discount their votes and you might have a different picture although my stance is more keep the EDI thread if we must but, at least please get rid of the EDI fan boys who are only here to boast about new routes at EDI. They are a plague ruining what is actually a very good forum. Stevie Wonder could see their motives for joining a Glasgow Airport Forum.

Not one genuine GLA enthusiast would leave this site if you did close the EDI thread, not one. I suspect the only members who might have an issue with it are those who have an anterior motive and not so subtle agenda for being here.