Names on planes

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

Names on planes

Post by atuk »

Is it just an age thing or simply nostalgia but I miss seeing these.

British Airways with Stirling Castle or River Clyde; British Caledonian withBurgh of Paisley or Isle of Hoy; KLM with Orinoco or City if Madrid; Iberia withJuan Ponce de Leon or Pan Am with its Clipper Jets. And the best of the best - Britannia Airways Captain James Cook, Isambard Kingdom Brunel - somehow “Alfie” on a Dreamliner just doesn’t cut it.

There was a certain “glamour” and it enhanced the memory of the flight. Also for an impressionable teenager it added to general knowledge of who, where, what the name represented.

Maybe it’s just me but I’d like to see Airlines re introduce this practice. Or is this just wishful thinking?
egpffqtv

Re: Names on planes

Post by egpffqtv »

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia but we're more likely to be seeing stuff like this going forward

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/07/gemm ... z-air.html
Saabdriver

Post by Saabdriver »

Every Loganair aircraft has a name - the only ones that don't are the two Scottish Government Twin Otter 400s and the two ATR72-600s. The Islanders are supposed to be getting painted in full colours some time.

The Embraers are all Clans.

The ATRs are also Clans and unlike the Embraers, the Clan names line up with the registrations.

The passenger Saabs are all "Spirit of".

The freighters are all RMA (Royal Mail Aeroplane) Western Isles Flyer, Shetland Flyer and so on.

The name is in English on the left side and Gaelic on the right side.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

The BA based 757 doing JFK-BOS was robert burns
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

Iberia name theirs after a variety of things, landmarks, places, people, jetblue name theirs, always something to do with blue mostly, vueling the same, KLM also name theirs, the 737s are birds etc