Does anybody here still think they are getting out of the country on 2021 ?

Moderators: bill, Clive

1-11

Does anybody here still think they are getting out of the country on 2021 ?

Post by 1-11 »

No ‘exact date’ for when Britons can legally go on holiday again, says UK transport secretary
The British transport secretary has said he doesn't know when restrictions on international travel will be lifted, adding that legally being able to go on holiday will depend on progress with Covid-19 vaccinations here and abroad.
Think of all the money you will save on sun-screen, and not having to drink cheap wine.
atuk

Re: Does anybody here still think they are getting out of the country on 2021 ?

Post by atuk »

1-11 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:20 pm
No ‘exact date’ for when Britons can legally go on holiday again, says UK transport secretary
The British transport secretary has said he doesn't know when restrictions on international travel will be lifted, adding that legally being able to go on holiday will depend on progress with Covid-19 vaccinations here and abroad.
Think of all the money you will save on sun-screen, and not having to drink cheap wine.
An awful lot can change in a short time. I’m booked to go away later this year, and hopefully will do so, especially as a 40 th anniversary holiday ha already been binned!
1-11

Post by 1-11 »

An awful lot can change in a short time
Yes, I remember back to when it was only going to be 2 weeks to "Flatten the curve".
That changed very quickly into everybody being placed under House Arrest for the duration of her majesty's pleasure.

The only countries so far showing any signs of opening up are Netherlands, Denmark, Austria and Italy.
ie. Countries where the citizens have basically rioted in the streets demanding their economies get re-opened.
I don't hold out much hope for the UK, being as they are, such a docile population.

Anyway, I hope you get away as planned.
1-11

Post by 1-11 »

UK's Boris Johnson cautions against booking summer holidays, says it's too early to predict what Covid-19 rules will allow by then. "I am afraid it is just too early for people to be certain about what we'll be able to do this summer," Johnson said on Wednesday in a Downing Street press briefing. "I understand why people want to make plans now, but we're just going to have to be a little bit more patient."
All part of the softening up process.
You are going Nowhere - believe me !
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Plans are afoot for a European vaccine passport type of scheme. That could be a game changer for holiday travel.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:16 am Plans are afoot for a European vaccine passport type of scheme. That could be a game changer for holiday travel.
I’m up for that. The sooner we can aid foreign travel to open up safely once again, the better. Added bonus will be many more of my colleagues unfurloughed and re hired.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

We'll get domestic holidays in the summer. Foreign travel,I suspect, is a write off.

So much for the vaccine getting us back to some kind of normal.
Gla1

Post by Gla1 »

I hate to be that guy but I would prefer we focus on getting the UK as a whole on a stable footing, with society opening back up and some sense of normality being established. We need to take an advantage of being an Island with variants kicking about, even though i’m happy to see the UK vaccine rollout going extremely well (probably the only praise i can afford our uk and devolved governments). If we need to sacrifice foreign travel for most of this year as a price then i’m willing to accept that but ofcourse hope that government help for the travel industry is forthcoming and as a customer with money still in these businesses i’m happy to re-arrange into 2022.
atuk

Post by atuk »

If there are no summer holidays abroad and no help for the travel industry, airlines and hospitality then the leisure industry, as we know it, will become as dead as a dodo!

Companies such as IAG have already raised funds from shareholders, corporate bodies and there is a limit to how much folks, finance houses and governments can or will cough up. TUI has already raised a third tranche of loan capital from the German government and, again, there is no guarantee that they could survive this given that four consecutive seasons have been trashed by Covid and government inaction, knee jerk reaction with little or no forward planning.

On the domestic front; everyone spend their summer holidays in the U.K.? How exactly will that work given the lack of infrastructure, restricted opening hours and high costs of holidaying here. It will make a mockery of social distancing, no guaranteed weather and grid locked roads. What fun we shall all have :evil: :roll:

My personal take is get the vaccinations completed as quickly as possible, introduce Covid certificates to accompany your passport, just like some countries insist on yellow fever vacs etc, let folks starting booking with a decree of confidence and lets get Great Britain flying once again.

For the record: last summer I took five return flights; three domestic and two international plus worked at Manchester Airport for five days during their rampant Covid around Greater Manchester. I took precautions, constant hand washing, mask, social distancing and kept aware of what was going on around me including the four train journeys I took. Did I catch Covid? No I didn’t. Lucky maybe, but certainly took on board all the precautions we have constantly been told to do by many politicians, professors, medics, and touchwood I’m still okay.
big ears

Post by big ears »

Since my retiral I have been in the fortunate position of being able to travel and have been around a wee bit. I have been places you need to prove you have cover for yellowfever, denguefever and other nasties. I have a little booklet which I think I first got at Gartnavel, and any innoculations are entered therein, with the date and the vaccine, surely its not rocket science to either make a booklet like that more official, or just simply stamp your passport with name and date of vaccine, I appreciate you change passport every 10 years, but again its not exactly rocket science to some up with a scheme....