Farewell "Mad Dog" as Delta's last Douglas products retire

Moderators: bill, Clive

PiperOne

Farewell "Mad Dog" as Delta's last Douglas products retire

Post by PiperOne »

June 2nd will see the end of the Douglas line in Delta, as the last of their once-large fleet of MD-88s and MD-90s are retired, as reported by anna aero here.

https://www.anna.aero/2020/05/11/delta- ... r-remains/

Delta's connection to the DC-9 family started back in July 1966, when number 2 off the production line joined the fleet, this was series 14 N3301L. The airline went on to operate all models of the DC-9, except the series 20, with an infusion of the series 40 and 50 coming with the Northwest take-over. Many have made one-way trips to places like San Bernardino in recent times, now the rest of the fleet are heading for the desert.

The DC-9 series were always a nice way to fly, and I have enjoyed a few trips in Delta's MDs and DC-9-30s over the years, somehow Boeings are just not the same level of passenger appeal.

MD-90 N928DN at Miami in 2017.
ImageIMGP2816 N928DN MD90 MIA by Fergus Abraham, on Flickr

MD-88 N990DL at Fort Lauderdale in 2008.
ImageIMGP0031_edited N990DL MD88 FLL/KFLL by Fergus Abraham, on Flickr
jetblue497

Re: Farewell "Mad Dog" as Delta's last Douglas products retire

Post by jetblue497 »

777s going bye bye too
bill

Post by bill »

Only ever flown on DC-9's twice,British Midland LHR-GLA(think they still operated their 'Diamond Service' then :?: ) in the eighties and Alitalia TRN-LHR in the seventies.Being a nipper on the Alitalia flight the stewardesses spoilt me rotten with unlimited chocolate biscuits and cokes.Marvellous. ;)
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

bill wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:20 pm Only ever flown on DC-9's twice,British Midland LHR-GLA(think they still operated their 'Diamond Service' then :?: ) in the eighties and Alitalia TRN-LHR in the seventies.Being a nipper on the Alitalia flight the stewardesses spoilt me rotten with unlimited chocolate biscuits and cokes.Marvellous. ;)
My only DC-9/Mad Dog flight was also Alitalia from Milan to Tirana in Albania on a filming job, for Eorpa several years ago. With ashtrays in the arm rests, it felt like I'd gone back to the 70's. Boarded and deplaned via the rear central air stair too, very cool
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Allen McL wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:32 pm
bill wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:20 pm Only ever flown on DC-9's twice,British Midland LHR-GLA(think they still operated their 'Diamond Service' then :?: ) in the eighties and Alitalia TRN-LHR in the seventies.Being a nipper on the Alitalia flight the stewardesses spoilt me rotten with unlimited chocolate biscuits and cokes.Marvellous. ;)
My only DC-9/Mad Dog flight was also Alitalia from Milan to Tirana in Albania on a filming job, for Eorpa several years ago. With ashtrays in the arm rests, it felt like I'd gone back to the 70's. Boarded and deplaned via the rear central air stair too, very cool
I’ve had a few. JAT LJU-LHR, Inex Adria GLA-DBV-GLA, KLM GLA-AMS-GLA (with flight deck visit while captain had a cigar on), all in the 80’s, and Oasis International PMI-MAN (nightmare flight) in the 90’s.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

My first trip on a DC9 was on the the British Midland series 10 “ pocket rockets” with Piper One LHR-GLA.

This was then followed by numerous short and stretch nines to LHR and EMA over the years as well as a memorable Spanair MD80 near empty leg PMI-GLA, again with Pier One after spending the day in Palma visiting airlines for Airport Timetables UK.

Happy days :D :D
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

atuk wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:42 pm My first trip on a DC9 was on the the British Midland series 10 “ pocket rockets” with Piper One LHR-GLA.

This was then followed by numerous short and stretch nines to LHR and EMA over the years as well as a memorable Spanair MD80 near empty leg PMI-GLA, again with Pier One after spending the day in Palma visiting airlines for Airport Timetables UK.

Ah yes, and the joy of LTE as well :D

My last MD flights were with Iberia, BCN-PMI and return, and on that short sector the performance was quite impressive.

F
malcolm380

Post by malcolm380 »

I'm fortunate to have done many DC-9/MD80 series flights over the years. BMI LHR-LPL, KLM LHR-AMS, dozens of Alitalia LHR-LIN and MXP, LHR-FCO, LGW-PSA, MXP-PSA; my last MD80 series flight was actually Delta, DTW-CVG in 2018. One of my favourite aeroplanes, especially in the front cabin.
Last edited by malcolm380 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
big ears

Post by big ears »

Also their 777 fleet......

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ion-charge

going with Airbus??
atuk

Post by atuk »

atuk wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:42 pm My first trip on a DC9 was on the the British Midland series 10 “ pocket rockets” with Piper One LHR-GLA.

This was then followed by numerous short and stretch nines to LHR and EMA over the years as well as a memorable Spanair MD80 near empty leg PMI-GLA, again with Piper One after spending the day in Palma visiting airlines for Airport Timetables UK.