Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: Corona virus and it’s effects on GLA

Post by Bearsden »

Latest NOTAM on fire cover appears to show 12-15 H24 CAT 6 which doesn't seem right if B737s are CAT7

Q) EGPX/QFFCG/IV/NBO /A /000/999/5552N00426W
A) EGPF
B) 20/07/08 00:01 C) 20/07/15 23:59
E) COVID-19:INFORMATION RFFS CAT DOWNGRADED 08 0500-0830, 1645-1830 CAT 7 09 0500-0830, 1430-1800 CAT 7 10 0500-1730 CAT 7 11 0500-1100 CAT 7 12-15 H24 CAT 6 AT ALL OTHER TIMES AERODROME CAT 6 CATEGORY UPGRADES TO MAX CAT 9 WITH 24HR NOTICE TO AIRFIELD
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Clive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:50 pm
Sharpal7 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:18 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 am

Indeedy.

Unfortunately the whole aspect of the handling of the pandemic is political and political decisions are currently what our travel industry are waiting for.

We’ll say no more once the green light is given. July 10 is when the daft quarantine idea will be binned.

Anyhoo, I’m already booked for AGP for 4 August. I’m as certain as can be (barring any unforeseen new lockdown in Andalucía) that there will be no travel restrictions to affect me by then. Ergo I don’t quite see why the travel industry is making such a stooshie about any delay as they see it.
I guess it will be a whole new travelling/holiday experience for you Clive. I'd be interested to know how you find it, warts and all....if you are happy to share.

Mrs S and I will have a decision to make for our annual visit to Crete in September and we're not too comfortable with the thought of it at the moment.
The way I see it is would you think twice about a holiday in St Andrews or Girvan in September? Crete is fine now and certainly will be by September.

Obviously I have more to worry about on my London trip than Torremolinos. But for some reason that’s reversed in many folks’ psyche.

Yes, I intend to write an in depth trip report on my experience of post lockdown international travel.
There are a number of factors that come in to play Clive. It's a longish flight to Crete and back with a mask on. Eating and drinking not as per norm. 1.5 hour transfer again with mask on. Possible testing at either end. Pool at apartments closed etc etc etc. Not really comparable with a trip to St Andrews which we do regularly as it happens.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

There will be no testing at either end. Crete will be fully open for tourists. There isn’t a problem in Crete. Scotland will be open for your return. Your airline will be taking all precautions and more. No one on your flight will be contagious. Of course it’s up to you but these reservations about travelling abroad are hurting the travel industry when in fact the biggest risk by far is a lot nearer to home, across our open border.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

Deary me. England is a threat to Scotland s health? Did all the nasty English go to the Nike conference? Or are our care homes being visited by the English relatives? Give it a rest mate.
You said Political posturing wouldnt be tolerated on the new forum. But you just cant help yourself from two dime insults.
I hope the Border does get shut and Westminster apply full FA asap.
Then you lot can whine no more.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:07 am Deary me. England is a threat to Scotland s health? Did all the nasty English go to the Nike conference? Or are our care homes being visited by the English relatives? Give it a rest mate.
You said Political posturing wouldnt be tolerated on the new forum. But you just cant help yourself from two dime insults.
I hope the Border does get shut and Westminster apply full FA asap.
Then you lot can whine no more.
Every day England has far more Corona deaths than the rest of Europe combined. 155 deaths reported yesterday and 800-odd new cases. So yes, that is the clear and present danger. Not Slovakia, Estonia or Greece, but England. That’s not a political point and I haven’t made one as yet. It’s irrefutable facts. But we could talk about countries governments handling of the crisis if you fancy.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Breaking news now. It’s green for go for travel from a load of countries from Friday. Some good news the travel industry was waiting for.

But Spain has not made the list due to the fact it currently has a higher prevalence than Scotland.

The govt hope Spain can join the list on 20 July and so do I since I’m going there on 4 August!

Gla1

Post by Gla1 »

Derek Provan ain’t happy on STV tonight, can understand it puts Scottish airports at a significant disadvantage.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Gla1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:21 pm Derek Provan ain’t happy on STV tonight, can understand it puts Scottish airports at a significant disadvantage.
Hardly surprising when Spain represents more than 60% of the outbound market. Jet2, easyJet and TUI all with significant operations there, not to mention FR to ALC and AGP.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Gla1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:21 pm Derek Provan ain’t happy on STV tonight, can understand it puts Scottish airports at a significant disadvantage.
Aye for 10 days. Happily it makes us that bit safer as Spain has a higher prevalence of the virus.

Currently Scotland has something like 28 infectious people per 100k. Unfortunately Spain currently has more than 10 times that.

But no one in Scotland can dodge the need to quarantine by flying into an English airport because Scot Gov are going to use the raw passenger information.

Perhaps Derek should be glad we are doing this properly and aiming for complete eradication so that everything can safely get back to normal sooner.

If standby grave diggers can be stood down that can only be a good thing IMO.

Hialflyer

Post by Hialflyer »

The Scot Gov havent checked on anyone arrivng into the country so far. so how they reckon they will suddenly be able to check people arriving into England is a joke.
Also the number of covid tests they are carrying out in Scotland is low, they really dont have a clue how many cases there are.
This is bad news for the aviation industry in Scotland, basically shutting off their biggest market, just as a points scoring excersise.