World Routes 2023

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Iain

World Routes 2023

Post by Iain »

It's that time of year again - routes 2023 is happening in Istanbul next month.

GLA/AGS don't seem to be listed as attending, whilst EDI are, plus a "Team Scotland" Scottish Government delegation.

What does this say about AGS's ambitions for route development at GLA? It seems like a paucity of ambition and largely incongruous with the CEOs positive words about marketing the airport and city. If the EDI are the only Scottish airport represented then it sends a pretty obvious sign as to who wants airlines business - and the airport they should pick if they want to fly to Scotland. :roll:

For some balance though, it appears that some other UK regionals including MAN, NCL and EMA aren't going either. PIK and the HIAL airports also aren't represented, which is odd - Given they're publicly owned, surely the SG would push for a joined up approach with the Team Scotland delegation.
Planeenthusiast

Re: World Routes 2023

Post by Planeenthusiast »

The Scottish government involvement, I suspect, isn’t much to write home about. More of a PR stunt on their part. Their dislike of the aviation sector in general is well known. The greens who appear to call the shots want to ban certain types of flying, so can’t see much support there. The EDI CEO, very recently also slammed the SNP Gov for their anti aviation, tourism and letting policies. No love lost here at all. The big push at EDI is securing pre-clearance. The congressional visitation is next week I understand. If this is secured, it would be quite a boost heading into world routes. Clearly the service won’t happen overnight but having this as part of the sales pitch can only be a good thing. Other contributors have mentioned JetBlue. I’ve also heard that “fresh” discussions have taken place recently with EDI.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Planeenthusiast wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:32 pm The Scottish government involvement, I suspect, isn’t much to write home about. More of a PR stunt on their part. Their dislike of the aviation sector in general is well known. The greens who appear to call the shots want to ban certain types of flying, so can’t see much support there. The EDI CEO, very recently also slammed the SNP Gov for their anti aviation, tourism and letting policies. No love lost here at all. The big push at EDI is securing pre-clearance. The congressional visitation is next week I understand. If this is secured, it would be quite a boost heading into world routes. Clearly the service won’t happen overnight but having this as part of the sales pitch can only be a good thing. Other contributors have mentioned JetBlue. I’ve also heard that “fresh” discussions have taken place recently with EDI.
Aye the same chump whose business is sitting pretty after Covid despite his howling at the moon. No politics or this thread closes in an instant.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

This B6 and edi rumour is more of a wishlist rumour on another forum .. nothing in it at all
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

Ekally1 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:17 pm This B6 and edi rumour is more of a wishlist rumour on another forum .. nothing in it at all
Correct - there are 17 other destinations under consideration. The penchant for users on that other forum for stating their personal hopes as fact is beyond belief. One of the 4 quoted is very high on the list, one very low.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Think these edi fanboys live in jackanory land it seems .. some of the wild statements are beyond belief ..
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

https://t.co/ddX14RUYFs

Interesting TK future routes .. GLA
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Ekally1 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:42 pm https://t.co/ddX14RUYFs

This would be excellent news. There's clearly a market and it may force EK to get their finger out.....
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

I can also confirm that AGS are sending their "Airline Business Development Manager" and their "Aviation Portfolio Manager"
rjon

Post by rjon »

Ekally1 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:42 pm https://t.co/ddX14RUYFs

Not unexpected, been rumoured a while.