Airport SNOCLO 02/12/23

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

McG

Airport SNOCLO 02/12/23

Post by McG »

Bearsden

Re: Airport SNOCLO 02/12/23

Post by Bearsden »

Now open - Ryanair from Dublin on approach 0940L

As a side issue, the handling agents appear to be struggling with de-icing - a 'Catch 22' of costs being driven down to the bone and then facing a significant winter issue
McG

Post by McG »

Bearsden wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:44 am Now open - Ryanair from Dublin on approach 0940L

As a side issue, the handling agents appear to be struggling with de-icing - a 'Catch 22' of costs being driven down to the bone and then facing a significant winter issue
That’s always been an issue - even going back 20 years to when I worked at the airport.

The main issues on a day like today are the holdover times are reduced, especially if it’s still snowing, and once the airport reopens, everyone wants to leave at once so it’s a mad scramble to get de-icing done. Ideally you would have a pad up past the Loganair hanger and one before link B that would allow deicing ops to be done just before the runway.
ADIG

Post by ADIG »

A bit embarrassing

buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

EK held for a while off to the south and has now just went around
kenneth1

Post by kenneth1 »

EK just landed having passed over my house twice and looks like it is waiting behind a Ryanair to get to stand.
McG

Post by McG »

Could be worse, we could have had same amount of snow as Munich.

https://x.com/spaethflies/status/173092 ... HUVW_f-VFQ
kenneth1

Post by kenneth1 »

The EK first approach which resulted in an go around was because they were too high, this was feedback from a passenger.
atuk

Post by atuk »

McG wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:36 pm Could be worse, we could have had same amount of snow as Munich.

https://x.com/spaethflies/status/173092 ... HUVW_f-VFQ
Currently in Munich; everything is cancelled: flights, trains and busses. Tomorrow’s flights now scheduled for……..Tuesday.
cammyboy

Post by cammyboy »

Menzies had a bit of a nightmare this afternoon. Was on BA1482 from LHR which arrived about 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Off to domestic luggage reclaim and waited....and waited....and waited some more. After about an hour, with zero communication from anyone, the Menzies check in supervisor arrived to tell us.... nothing. They didn't have a direct number for the ramp, so had to call a friend at the gate who was relaying messages back and forth! I kid you not.

Eventually told by the chap Menzies were operating a 'queueing system' due to being understaffed but our bags would be with us soon.

A further 15 mins or so later, the baggage screens showed our luggage due, and also those of BA8722 from LCY, which landed about an hour after us. 'The LHR bags will be first off, I've been assured ' the Menzies chap told us. But of course, nope, the LCY ones came and went before ours.

After roughly 2 hours waiting, our bags appeared, in literal dribs and drabs.

Now, things go wrong, that's life. Weather has an impact, but a simple rule is to tell people what's happening. If you don't know, find someone who does. Really scunnering for the poor guy from check in, who was getting it in the neck but had nothing to tell us. I imagine he'll be having a large glass of his favourite tipple tonight because I imagine he's had better days.

Anyway, rant over. Hopefully someone from Menzies might be looking in and can improve things in the future.