Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Allen McL

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Allen McL »

G-WATP wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 pm
Allen McL wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 am I'm probably not the only one who's surprised to hear they are closing the EDI operation. Especially given the relatively 'niche' nature of their business. Was the LCY-JFK service also BACF or mainline ? I gather that's to go too. Sad times for all in aviation right now.
You (and others) would be right to be surprised if they were indeed "closing the EDI operation". Although the post from poster 'Clive' includes the text "..mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing ending operations.." the actual press release on the BALPA website (https://www.balpa.org/Media-Centre/Pres ... -Chancello) says "mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing closing its crew base" (my emphasis).

So presumably BACF flights EDI<>LCY will continue, albeit perhaps at a lower frequency.
Fair enough, it's currently just a proposal, but I (and others) could be forgiven for assuming that the EDI operation "might" be the last of their destinations to even be considered for downscaling or closure ? Given the apparent predominance of the business traveller type at both EDI and LCY.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

The statement mentions "ending operations" as well as 72 pilot redundancies. How does that translate to just closing the crew base ?
Oceanic

Post by Oceanic »

Allen McL wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:33 am The statement mentions "ending operations" as well as 72 pilot redundancies. How does that translate to just closing the crew base ?
I can imagine if EDI to LCY stops completely then so will GLA to LCY
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Oceanic wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:35 am
Allen McL wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:33 am The statement mentions "ending operations" as well as 72 pilot redundancies. How does that translate to just closing the crew base ?
I can imagine if EDI to LCY stops completely then so will GLA to LCY
They’d only stop these routes if they were closing down altogether. They’re not.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
G-WATP

Post by G-WATP »

The statement I'm referring to is here: https://www.balpa.org/Media-Centre/Pres ... -Chancello

Its entire text is below. I see no mention of "ending operations".

Release date: 12/05/2020

The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) has announced that it was formally notified of proposed redundancies at BA CityFlyer this afternoon. The airline operates British Airways branded flights out of London City and Edinburgh Airports.

72 potential pilot redundancies were notified out of 248, mainly at Edinburgh where BA CityFlyer is proposing closing its crew base. In addition, the company warned that its whole future remained uncertain as British Airways, its parent company, was still reviewing its own future.

Brian Strutton, BALPA General Secretary, said: “CityFlyer had been a successful part of BA so this is yet more shocking and devastating news. While the Chancellor fanfares his Job Retention Scheme the aviation industry continues to haemorrhage jobs.

“The Government is making this crisis worse for aviation by imposing restrictions on flying and forcing airlines into a death spiral.

“BALPA will fight for every job in CityFlyer at London City and Edinburgh Airports which rely on this important and efficient airline.”

Furthermore, this article on the subject from Flight Global states "BA stresses that, while the crew base is under discussion, flights from the Scottish capital would be unaffected."

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/b ... 42.article
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Air China 747-400 due in on friday for a repatriation flight to Xian
ontimeexceptacars

Post by ontimeexceptacars »

Routes online reporting that Rouge will be replaced next year at EDI by Air Canada mainline, using......

The 737MAX!!!

Popcorn in hand.....
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Think its safe to say gla going to be popular with EDI folk when they find out its a max
hads

Post by hads »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 pm Think its safe to say gla going to be popular with EDI folk when they find out its a max
The most Toxic brand in the world. Winner of this years and lasts " Flogging a toxic brand world Championships"
Should be a laugh to watch this unfold.
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

Ekally1 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 pm Think its safe to say gla going to be popular with EDI folk when they find out its a max
And the GLA folks will be flocking to the WS and FI (and possibly FR and TUI) ones???? At least FI are looking at A321s - BA have a few to look at!!!