AGS for sale?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: AGS for sale?

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:18 pm For info Ryanair Uk bases by size. STN first,MAN second, EDI third.
And also that many years ago Ryanair had a base at MAN but fell out with them and closed it then soon went back and ended up going gangbusters there. Great joy if that history repeats here at GLA.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Clive wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:29 pm
atuk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:18 pm For info Ryanair Uk bases by size. STN first,MAN second, EDI third.
And also that many years ago Ryanair had a base at MAN but fell out with them and closed it then soon went back and ended up going gangbusters there. Great joy if that history repeats here at GLA.
Asking this cos I am very interested to know. What was the size of the RYR base at EDI when they also had a base at GLA? Also, what is the size of their base at EDI now? Thanks
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

Sharpal7 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:42 pm
Clive wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:29 pm
Asking this cos I am very interested to know. What was the size of the RYR base at EDI when they also had a base at GLA? Also, what is the size of their base at EDI now? Thanks
When the GLA base closed, our aircraft moved over to take it up to 7 from winter 2018.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

No reason why this cannot become STN, MAN, GLA.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:57 am
Many reasons why not . . . eg long-term commercial deals have been struck at EDI & PIK, new investor/owner already in place at EDI will have bought into 'Scotland's Airport' strategy, no change yet in AGS ownership (the sales price would have to be heavily discounted to allow spending on route development away from the outbound holiday routes already served)
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:42 am
FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:57 am
Many reasons why not . . . eg long-term commercial deals have been struck at EDI & PIK, new investor/owner already in place at EDI will have bought into 'Scotland's Airport' strategy, no change yet in AGS ownership (the sales price would have to be heavily discounted to allow spending on route development away from the outbound holiday routes already served)
I’m sure the suitors will have factored the cost of business development in to their offer. Whoever buys the group will think they have ways of increasing business and profits, otherwise they wouldn’t be interested.

I hope when a new owner takes the reins we don’t start with the perma-negativity after all’s been said about the previous owners. We want change and it looks like we are going to get it.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

Bearsden wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:42 amMany reasons why not . . . eg long-term commercial deals have been struck at EDI & PIK, new investor/owner already in place at EDI will have bought into 'Scotland's Airport' strategy, no change yet in AGS ownership (the sales price would have to be heavily discounted to allow spending on route development away from the outbound holiday routes already served)
EDI needs Ryanair more than Ryanair needs EDI. If new owners at GLA offer Ryanair the right deal there is no reason why GLA cannot become their biggest base in Scotland. We've seen bigger shifts in capacity and strategy across Europe, Edinburgh is not exempt from Ryanair's usual operating policy and Europe-wide EDI is a fairly small base. They wouldn't think twice about closing it for a better deal at a nearby airport. As with most airlines operating at EDI, most of the passengers will be travelling to and from Glasgow anyway.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Hopefully if MAG are successful then their existing relationships with their airlines would serve us well here - namely FR EZY and EI - the latter could operate JFK MCO from GLA.

One thing to consider though - BAA was broken up due to their monopoly. Could we see the same potentially happen with MAG if they owned the AGS airports aw well as their current stable of airports?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

egpffqtv wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:46 pm Hopefully if MAG are successful then their existing relationships with their airlines would serve us well here - namely FR EZY and EI - the latter could operate JFK MCO from GLA.

One thing to consider though - BAA was broken up due to their monopoly. Could we see the same potentially happen with MAG if they owned the AGS airports aw well as their current stable of airports?
Hopefully as their portfolio would be scattered the length and breadth of the UK it wouldn’t fall foul of competition rules. I just hope we are not getting ahead of ourselves before MAG have pounced. Hopefully they will pounce tho…

bill

Post by bill »

egpffqtv wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:46 pm Hopefully if MAG are successful then their existing relationships with their airlines would serve us well here - namely FR EZY and EI - the latter could operate JFK MCO from GLA.

Just my opinion but MAG (or any new owner that bought the group) could sell ABZ and SOU off individually and just keep GLA, raising a couple of quid towards the investment that GLA needs. I don't think personally that MAG would be at all interested in either the A or the S in AGS. I'm probably miles off it here but just a thought.