AGS for sale?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

FlyGLA

Re: AGS for sale?

Post by FlyGLA »

bill wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:32 pm
Just my opinion but MAG (or any new owner that bought the group) could sell ABZ and SOU off individually and just keep GLA, raising a couple of quid towards the investment that GLA needs. I don't think personally that MAG would at all interested in eithet the A or the S in AGS. I'm probably miles off it here but just a thought.
Your idea about MAG potentially selling off ABZ and SOU to focus solely on GLA is an interesting one. Clive raised a good point regarding a potential monopoly issues and selling ABZ and in particular SOU could satisfy the regulators. SOU and BOH are close competitors and having them under the same ownership could be an issue.

A portfolio consisting of BOH, STN, EMA, MAN and GLA gives MAG a balanced and strategically positioned presence across the UK while not dominating any single geographic are, mitigating regulatory risk.
atuk

Post by atuk »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:48 pm [quote=bill post_id=12391 time=<a href="tel:1720117938">1720117938</a> user_id=71]

Just my opinion but MAG (or any new owner that bought the group) could sell ABZ and SOU off individually and just keep GLA, raising a couple of quid towards the investment that GLA needs. I don't think personally that MAG would at all interested in eithet the A or the S in AGS. I'm probably miles off it here but just a thought.
Your idea about MAG potentially selling off ABZ and SOU to focus solely on GLA is an interesting one. Clive raised a good point regarding a potential monopoly issues and selling ABZ and in particular SOU could satisfy the regulators. SOU and BOH are close competitors and having them under the same ownership could be an issue.

A portfolio consisting of BOH, STN, EMA, MAN and GLA gives MAG a balanced and strategically positioned presence across the UK while not dominating any single geographic are, mitigating regulatory risk.
[/quote]

I’m positive that MAG sold BOH many years ago.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

atuk wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:00 pm

I’m positive that MAG sold BOH many years ago.
You're right. As per Wiki; Ryanair and TUI Airways are the primary users of the airport, which was owned and operated by Manchester Airports Group (MAG), one of the largest British airport operators until December 2017, when Regional & City Airports (RCA) acquired Bournemouth Airport for an undisclosed amount.
Gla1

Post by Gla1 »

I very much agree with you Bill that MAG would and should consider selling ABZ or SOU. I do feel for those who have built up jobs around the AGS group as a whole but the wider impact of GLA up and growing again could eventually counteract that.

I wouldn’t discount AENA here though or indeed any other bidders. I would prefer to see a move away from these money hungry investment firms though, worked great at our neighbour next door but I agree the investment in infrastructure was not good enough at all.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:08 am As with most airlines operating at EDI, most of the passengers will be travelling to and from Glasgow anyway.
I don't believe that statement is correct
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:08 am
Bearsden wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:42 amMany reasons why not . . . eg long-term commercial deals have been struck at EDI & PIK, new investor/owner already in place at EDI will have bought into 'Scotland's Airport' strategy, no change yet in AGS ownership (the sales price would have to be heavily discounted to allow spending on route development away from the outbound holiday routes already served)
EDI needs Ryanair more than Ryanair needs EDI. If new owners at GLA offer Ryanair the right deal there is no reason why GLA cannot become their biggest base in Scotland. We've seen bigger shifts in capacity and strategy across Europe, Edinburgh is not exempt from Ryanair's usual operating policy and Europe-wide EDI is a fairly small base. They wouldn't think twice about closing it for a better deal at a nearby airport. As with most airlines operating at EDI, most of the passengers will be travelling to and from Glasgow anyway.
What on earth have you been smoking :lol: