American Airlines

Moderators: bill, Clive

southflyer

Re: American Airlines

Post by southflyer »

If you cannot fathom why CDG has more transatlantic links than BVA then I suggest you look into it. I won't be explaining it.

That's not to say that there aren't other factors at play here. GLA has historically had strong links with Canada and now sees just a daily A321 to YYZ meanwhile EDI serves YYZ, YYC and YHZ (all former GLA routes) with two carriers. GLA-MCO is now unserved - a few years ago that would have been incomprehensible. On a separate note I think BA should be operating MCO on a W pattern from LGW.

The bottom line is that Scotland has always been one market from a US point of view. The majority of pax arriving with CO/US/UA/AA/DL over the years were not flocking here to visit George Square. GLA just needs to reclaim their share.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

southflyer wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:56 am If you cannot fathom why CDG has more transatlantic links than BVA then I suggest you look into it. I won't be explaining it.
It’s not me who thinks it’s odd how one dominant airport in a catchment area attracts the lion’s share of airlines.

If GLA admitted it was “all one market” but doesn’t even have a bus link to the mega tourist centre then we are fuqqued. It must be wholly embarrassing talking to the airlines on there speed dating sessions at Routes, etc.
The missing bus to Edinburgh is not an expensive luxury - it’s a marketing necessity.

If anyone at GLA is reading this could we please be given some kind of explanation even by PM?
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

They don't even attend Routes, so that's not a problem for them...
bill

Post by bill »

Clive wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:29 pm
southflyer wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:56 am If you cannot fathom why CDG has more transatlantic links than BVA then I suggest you look into it. I won't be explaining it.
It’s not me who thinks it’s odd how one dominant airport in a catchment area attracts the lion’s share of airlines.

If GLA admitted it was “all one market” but doesn’t even have a bus link to the mega tourist centre then we are fuqqued. It must be wholly embarrassing talking to the airlines on there speed dating sessions at Routes, etc.
The missing bus to Edinburgh is not an expensive luxury - it’s a marketing necessity.

If anyone at GLA is reading this could we please be given some kind of explanation even by PM?
100% accurate. We should have had a bus link from 2007 when EDI started to overtake us. The fact that it's 2024 and it's still missing is negligence off the scale and jotters should be dished out. It seems so obvious to us on here but AGS for some reason (and BAA previously) failed miserably. Why is that?
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

bill wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:47 pm
Clive wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:29 pm

100% accurate. We should have had a bus link from 2007 when EDI started to overtake us. The fact that it's 2024 and it's still missing is negligence off the scale and jotters should be dished out. It seems so obvious to us on here but AGS for some reason (and BAA previously) failed miserably. Why is that?
Just like we've been promised a rail link to GLA since the 90s but that's never materialised. Common denominator here? AGS/BAA.
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

We did have a through service to Edinburgh in the 1980's, when the airport service was operated jointly between Eastern and Western Scottish as the X14. Alternating services continued from Buchanan Bus Station to Edinburgh. We also had Central service 582, which went to Edinburgh via East Kilbride, Hamilton, and Motherwell.

Back to AA, I used them earlier this year on a BA codeshare GLA-LHR-PHL-PBI, and would say they are nowhere near the AA of the 1990's when I used AA53/2 GLA-ORD. However, PHL is a very efficient and well laid out hub, and has a decent set of onward connections.