EY

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Speedbird Julie

EY

Post by Speedbird Julie »

See EY will shortly be announcing a lot of new routes. I'd take that for GLA, even if it was on an A321
Gla1

Re: EY

Post by Gla1 »

Would be absolutely great to see and a late departure would exploit Emirates lack of double daily. However it does state in their press release one of the 10 will be a previously served route…. Lord give us strength. I regularly book staff onto flights to Africa and the lack of a late night departure is leading to extremely long layover times when using EK from GLA.
Speedbird Julie

Yeah, I saw the comment about one previously served route 🙈

If EK's choices lead to long connections I'd be looking elsewhere. BA, KLM?
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

Perth has been proposed as the return destination, which seems more logical. Perth is a much larger and more significant city compared to Edinburgh, so from a strategic standpoint, it makes sense to re-establish a presence in Australia’s 4th largest city rather than the UK’s 9th.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Surely LGW is the most likely new UK airport? EK and QR both serve LHR and LGW, so you'd think that EY would want to do the same.

If we're looking in the UK regions, then BHX has markedly more ME pax than EDI, with EK, QR and SV - even once the new EK flight comes onstream at EDI. They also have more pax and frequency on TK too. In light of that, you would think that BHX demonstrates more demand and would be ahead of EDI for any EY flight.

If we're looking at Edinburgh, iirc EY dropped their previous ops when they were only competing against 1x daily QR, so it's difficult to understand how they think they'll now be a successful against double daily QR and daily EK!

I think GLA could be an outside bet, given we have a 1 daily flight that's operating at 95%+ capacity? That potentially indicates undercapacity. Do I have any confidence in GLA management going out and getting such business? No.
Speedbird Julie

I've been looking at EF for this week, EK is almost completely full every day. Something has to happen here.
Darren10

Post by Darren10 »

If i'm being completely honest, I can't see a return to EDI or a GLA service from this announcement. I think they will be looking to stregnthen onward feed from other areas. I could well be wrong though.

I can see EK doubling up sooner rather than later at GLA. LF and yeilds look to be very strong as it stands.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Speedbird Julie wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:48 pm I've been looking at EF for this week, EK is almost completely full every day. Something has to happen here.
They must effectively be turning pax away to their competitors on many days. It seems like poor business from on EK's behalf and poor business on GLA's behalf that they've neither secured extra frequency from EK nor got another ME airline in to compete and provide additional capacity.

Looking at AUH arrivals, it does seem that EY have a lesser hub and range of destinations compared to EK at DXB or QR at DOH, so it's maybe not as good an option as QR - but GLA can't afford to be picky!
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:44 pm
Speedbird Julie wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:48 pm I've been looking at EF for this week, EK is almost completely full every day. Something has to happen here.
They must effectively be turning pax away to their competitors on many days. It seems like poor business from on EK's behalf and poor business on GLA's behalf that they've neither secured extra frequency from EK nor got another ME airline in to compete and provide additional capacity.

Looking at AUH arrivals, it does seem that EY have a lesser hub and range of destinations compared to EK at DXB or QR at DOH, so it's maybe not as good an option as QR - but GLA can't afford to be picky!
I’d rather have TK if it were a choice between them and EY, which it’s not of course. TK would be tonnes more useful to tonnes more people. I’d also prefer a second EK than a competing EY to be honest.

Anyway, I don’t imagine any of EY’s plans have anything to do with Scotland.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Speedbird Julie

Tbh I'd much rather have QR. They have a fantastic product, great hub and a route network almost as good as EK. They're OW too which would be a huge help, and the BA lounge

However, as Clive says, beggars can't be choosers so we'll take anything :lol: