Easyjet Aircraft 6

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: Easyjet Aircraft 6

Post by Bearsden »

Gla1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:46 pm Very sad times! I know this is a temporary measure for now but it’s going to be a long hard winter.
Indeed, we now have a situation with three airports capable of handling 27 to 30 million passengers annually now struggling to secure airlines & viable routes for less than 15% of their overall capacity in the short to medium term

My crystal ball is very dull for 2021
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:39 pm
Gla1 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:46 pm Very sad times! I know this is a temporary measure for now but it’s going to be a long hard winter.
Indeed, we now have a situation with three airports capable of handling 27 to 30 million passengers annually now struggling to secure airlines & viable routes for less than 15% of their overall capacity in the short to medium term

My crystal ball is very dull for 2021
Yes we know.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

if GLA ends up with 4m pax this year, it'll be doing very well.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

GKirk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:17 am if GLA ends up with 4m pax this year, it'll be doing very well.
There’s no airport in the world that will be doing very well this year.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
ScotFlyer

Post by ScotFlyer »

Clive wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 am
GKirk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:17 am if GLA ends up with 4m pax this year, it'll be doing very well.
There’s no airport in the world that will be doing very well this year.
I was told back in July that the management were predicting 3m pax for 2020 and 6m for 2021.
hads

Post by hads »

need to stop navel gazing Chaps. The world has went to Hell in a handcart. Air travel is repositioning its position as a modus operandi. lots of non profitable/low revenue flights will be canned. Why would any business put huge costly assets anywhere in the world if the return revenues were unknown?
Glasgow will be fine in the long term. Its no ones fault apart from the wee dick who decided to have a Bat Burger in Wuhan.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:49 am need to stop navel gazing Chaps. The world has went to Hell in a handcart. Air travel is repositioning its position as a modus operandi. lots of non profitable/low revenue flights will be canned. Why would any business put huge costly assets anywhere in the world if the return revenues were unknown?
Glasgow will be fine in the long term. Its no ones fault apart from the wee dick who decided to have a Bat Burger in Wuhan.
Agreed, and even he would have done it unwittingly. So yeah, all airlines, tour operators and airports will do whatever they can to survive. All we can do is observe from the sidelines. Nothing is going to get near to normal until a vaccine is available to everyone.

When the airports start rebuilding routes and services it will be from something of a blank canvas.

Gla1

Post by Gla1 »

Easyjet really has had a disaster of a year and this only gives you a glimpse of how bad it must be across all airlines.

The UK gov are really going to have to step up here, that £600 million loan was a drop in the ocean compared to what they might need to survive.

EasyJet warns of heavy losses and continuing flight cuts https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54454202
Last edited by Gla1 on Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hads

Post by hads »

why should any Government support a private business? Save easyjet and the parameters are set for every struggling company to be legally entitled to a bail out. BHS. Woolworths. Debenhams.Virgin. Cant survive then too bad.
atuk

Post by atuk »

hads wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:39 pm why should any Government support a private business? Save easyjet and the parameters are set for every struggling company to be legally entitled to a bail out. BHS. Woolworths. Debenhams.Virgin. Cant survive then too bad.
Because it is government policy which has brought about this situation. Germany has given yet another loan to TUI for the winter, don’t know yet regards Condor.

BHS and Woolworths both failed at a time when there was more than enough competition both on the high street and on line. You can’t blame Covid for that. Debenhams are victims of that scourge of capitalism - private equity funds.

Companies are back to raising funds from shareholders by means of a rights issue. I personally haven’t seen such a surge since 1983 when major companies such as Shell Transport and Trading, BP, Midland Bank , some of the big hitters of the day, all raised funds this way during that summer. Virgin may again have to take a leaf from IAG and go back to their own shareholders for additional funds.

That said it is not the fault of the aviation industry. They are operating within tight confines which are changing daily. Just imagine how difficult it must be to work in crewing or operations.

Regards cheap flights, loss making routes it’s been my experience over many decades that the pile it High sell em cheap aspects of tour operating do not generate the fat needed to see you though the lean times. Court Line, Laker, Air Europe/Intasun and even Thomas Cook.

If we all survive, and it’s a big if, the landscape will be totally different. Back to the 70s, higher prices, lower frequency and much reduced choice.