Emirates

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Emirates

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 pm
Clive wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm Politicians speak to the industry (and all major industries) all the time so your closing remarks could be misplaced. Of course they do.
If I could see the proof then I would believe you emphatically. Why else did Derek Provan appear on TV saying that they had asked to meet but received no response?

I’m not saying this to cause trouble or disruption but so,ply through the careand passion I have for the industry I work in - when I’m allowed to!
2 seconds on Google found: https://scottishtourismalliance.co.uk/s ... officials/
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

atuk wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:01 pm
Clive wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm Politicians speak to the industry (and all major industries) all the time so your closing remarks could be misplaced. Of course they do.
If I could see the proof then I would believe you emphatically. Why else did Derek Provan appear on TV saying that they had asked to meet but received no response?

I’m not saying this to cause trouble or disruption but simply through the care and passion I have for the industry I work in - when I’m allowed to!
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:59 am [quote=atuk post_id=1998 time=<a href="tel:1602446465">1602446465</a> user_id=75]
[quote=Clive post_id=1972 time=<a href="tel:1602255513">1602255513</a> user_id=2]
Politicians speak to the industry (and all major industries) all the time so your closing remarks could be misplaced. Of course they do.

I’m not saying this to cause trouble or disruption but so,ply through the careand passion I have for the industry I work in - when I’m allowed to!
[/quote]

2 seconds on Google found: https://scottishtourismalliance.co.uk/s ... officials/
[/quote]

Thanks for that Clive. I note this is dated 8th September and pre dates Derek’s TV comments.

Also The Scottish Tourism Alliance. Is the Transport Minister a member of this group?
McG

Post by McG »

There was another EK 25/26 freight flight yesterday.
Anyone know if more are planned this month?
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

weefraz wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:07 am
McG wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:02 am There was another EK 25/26 freight flight yesterday.
Anyone know if more are planned this month?
Another one on the 14th.
Been informed they are carrying on for foreseeable future ..
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Think there is 2 penciled in for nov and 3 for dec , one of my best pals works for EK cargo so ill pass on if anything changes on it
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Curious as to why EK are choosing GLA over EDI right now when it's normally EDI that comes out on top ? Is it purely down to better infrastructure; bigger A380 gate/better lounge etc or other factors like cargo potential ? Are they perhaps tied into a time contract on the back of the improvements made at GLA for their benefit ?
G-WATP

Post by G-WATP »

Allen McL wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am Curious as to why EK are choosing GLA over EDI right now when it's normally EDI that comes out on top ? Is it purely down to better infrastructure; bigger A380 gate/better lounge etc or other factors like cargo potential ? Are they perhaps tied into a time contract on the back of the improvements made at GLA for their benefit ?
My opinion (and it's only that - I have no insider knowledge) is that Edinburgh wasn't performing sufficiently well for them. Recall that they launched daily in the October and reduced to five-weekly for the winter a few weeks later. They'd also reduced the schedule to six-weekly for three weeks in March this year before Covid was an issue. So there were 'straws in the wind' that could be interpreted to mean that the route wasn't working too well for them. It could be that the EK lounge at GLA, the A380 and the chauffeur service for Business Class passengers meant that many of those passengers continued to fly from GLA even though EDI may have been closer to their origin or destination.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Allen McL wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am Curious as to why EK are choosing GLA over EDI right now when it's normally EDI that comes out on top ? Is it purely down to better infrastructure; bigger A380 gate/better lounge etc or other factors like cargo potential ? Are they perhaps tied into a time contract on the back of the improvements made at GLA for their benefit ?
They don’t have a dedicated lounge in EDI. QR along with some of the other carriers such as Finnair use the No1Lounge. Emirates used the new Aspire lounge, I had the pleasure of working a shift there close to last Christmas shortly after it opened. It was very swish and I well remember the couple travelling to DXB then SYD serving him with lager and her with a very generous brandy, so much he asked for more ginger ale with the comment” she’ll no need any more the night!”

Seriously though perhaps with a double daily GLA service, proposed double daily from QR and decreasing yields it meant concentrating all the eggs at GLA a bit like what Delta have done at EDI.

One last thing though, the limousine service served the EDI flights too.
G-WATP

Post by G-WATP »

atuk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:33 pm
One last thing though, the limousine service served the EDI flights too.
I know and have used it. But my point was that if, for example, you live nearer to EDI than GLA but were attracted by the A380 and the EK lounge at GLA, that fact that you could be chauffeured to either may mean that a longer road journey to GLA would counter the advantage of EDI being closer.