PIK

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: PIK

Post by Clive »

egpffqtv wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:14 pm
GKirk wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:05 am
hads wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:02 am As long as electricity supplies power the runway lights, this abomination will be to the detriment of of Glasgow Airport and its chances of becoming something of real contender to the Edinburgh set up.
Yes, 10 flights a week will ensure GLA catches up to EDI. Definitely. 100%
:lol:
I don’t think it’s about being a contender to EDI but once the Ryanair PIK base is moved to GLA there’s no reason it couldn’t expand to 8 aircraft, 3 million pax and 40-odd routes in the fullness of time.

It just takes the realisation that things change.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Clive wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:14 am
egpffqtv wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:14 pm

:lol:
I don’t think it’s about being a contender to EDI but once the Ryanair PIK base is moved to GLA there’s no reason it couldn’t expand to 8 aircraft, 3 million pax and 40-odd routes in the fullness of time.

It just takes the realisation that things change.
Tried that already, got up to 2 based a/c and now the base is closed?
hads

Post by hads »

hads wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:02 am As long as electricity supplies power the runway lights, this abomination will be to the detriment of of Glasgow Airport and its chances of becoming something of real contender to the Edinburgh set up.
Good response there mate. I almost laughed.
But thats not the point though is it? And you know well enough it isnt.
Nothing to do with 10 flights a week.
Its to do with 3 airports in the central belt splitting passenger numbers .
But if you think PIK is good for growth at Glasgow post normality then thats fine and dandy.
Me? i think its crass stupidity and an unfair heavy rock trailing behind Glasgows Sales team.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

I am hearing that FR are closing maintanance centre at pik , moving to europe
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ekally1 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:48 pm I am hearing that FR are closing maintanance centre at pik , moving to europe
That will be massive news if true. A blow for the sake process and future prospects.

But on the bright side there’s no point them keeping a few pax ops when they could easily move them up the road to GLA and PIK’s management might be forced to realise this if the hangar ops go.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Ekally1 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:48 pm I am hearing that FR are closing maintenance centre at pik , moving to europe
Source?
G-WATP

Post by G-WATP »

Bearsden wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:52 am
Ekally1 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:48 pm I am hearing that FR are closing maintenance centre at pik , moving to europe
Source?
There's some chat about it on various PIK Facebook groups. Apparently staff have received a memo saying that Ryanair plan on reducing heavy maintenance contracts from the current five (of which PIK is one) to two next year (both "in Europe" whatever exactly that might mean (the EU?, the continent?)) I haven't seen any evidence of the memo, although there is chat in the groups of it having been posted online, so I don't know exactly what it says and how carefully it's been worded (very, I'd imagine). A poster who seems to have seen the memo stated that it says that a decision hasn't been taken.

My understanding is that all their heavy maintenance is contracted out to third-parties (PIK is run by Prestwick Aircraft Maintenance Limited) so it's possible that those third parties could try to win ad hoc maintenance work for other airlines, although that's a very competitive market. It could of course be the case that this is a negotiating tactic from Ryanair to try to achieve lower prices from their contractors. Either way, it must be really unsettling for the affected staff.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

G-WATP wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:14 pm
Source?
There's some chat about it on various PIK Facebook groups. Apparently staff have received a memo saying that Ryanair plan on reducing heavy maintenance contracts from the current five (of which PIK is one) to two next year (both "in Europe" whatever exactly that might mean (the EU?, the continent?)) I haven't seen any evidence of the memo, although there is chat in the groups of it having been posted online, so I don't know exactly what it says and how carefully it's been worded (very, I'd imagine). A poster who seems to have seen the memo stated that it says that a decision hasn't been taken.

My understanding is that all their heavy maintenance is contracted out to third-parties (PIK is run by Prestwick Aircraft Maintenance Limited) so it's possible that those third parties could try to win ad hoc maintenance work for other airlines, although that's a very competitive market. It could of course be the case that this is a negotiating tactic from Ryanair to try to achieve lower prices from their contractors. Either way, it must be really unsettling for the affected staff.
Good info. Thanks for that.

One wouldn’t work for a company with a contract with Ryanair and think that one’s employment is secure, surely?

Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Source?
A old colleague works at pik , was told from a FR aircraft maintanance member of staff
atuk

Post by atuk »

Ekally1 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:00 pm [quote=Bearsden post_id=2665 time=<a href="tel:1608108752">1608108752</a> user_id=72]
[quote=Ekally1 post_id=2659 time=<a href="tel:1608065288">1608065288</a> user_id=50]
I am hearing that FR are closing maintenance centre at pik , moving to europe
Source?
[/quote]

A old colleague works at pik , was told from a FR aircraft maintanance member of staff
[/quote]

If FR pull out will they repay tax payer funding to lure them in?