Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus and its effects on GLA

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:30 pm
Clive wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:19 pm [quote=hads post_id=2622 time=<a href="tel:1607606811">1607606811</a> user_id=150]
With a 99% recovery rate, and deaths attributed to the elderly and those with underlying health problems, dont you think us Business owners, TAX payers, have a right to question this complete virtue signalling shitshow? The majority of people being economically affected by all political decsions either work for the Public sector, dont work and live off benefits, and/or have nothing to lose?
Gordon dewar may not suit your political nuance mate, but, his opinion is equally as valid as yours. Because he is a unioinst you couldnt wait to press the FREEDUM button.

Lets get back to work and take our chances. This nonsense needs to stop.
See what I mean, folks? 4000 dead but Tories think business comes first. Nor do they understand that the quickest way to get business back is to kill off the virus.

The second wave needn’t have come to Scotland if the vested interests hadn’t insisted on flucking it up. I’m sure those who have been bereaved when their loved one drowned in their own mucus will wish they had kept the head.

No you have to strike a balance. The public sector relies on a strong, vibrant, successful private sector to fund it. Without that we shall all be in penury as Hads quite correctly states. All economic statements I’ve seen point to the huge job losses in the private sector, more salary cuts and shorter hours have been imposed on private sector firms. The public sector continues on regardless. No paycuts for politicians, bones in NHS but what about other essential public services, logistics, transport? We are all in this together? Really?

I fully endorse Mr Dewar’s viewpoint and comments and suspect Mr Provan won’t be far behind. Ms Sturgeon’s statement takes zero account of folks cancelled holidays being moved forward in 2021. It’s time for a balanced approach and not the policies of the zealots.
[/quote]

Couldn’t agree less and I’m mystified that anyone would let our elderly die in their thousands to keep themselves in the manor they’re accustomed to. But we’d better leave it at that.

Provan won’t be so stupid as to burn his bridges with the Scottish Government. Dewar’s gob may have done GLA a favour if Provan keeps any arsey Covid opinions out of the media.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:51 pm [quote=atuk post_id=2631 time=<a href="tel:1607625032">1607625032</a> user_id=75]
[quote=Clive post_id=2629 time=<a href="tel:1607617171">1607617171</a> user_id=2]
[quote=hads post_id=2622 time=<a href="tel:<a href="tel:1607606811">1607606811</a>">1607606811</a> user_id=150]
With a 99% recovery rate, and deaths attributed to the elderly and those with underlying health problems, dont you think us Business owners, TAX payers, have a right to question this complete virtue signalling shitshow? The majority of people being economically affected by all political decsions either work for the Public sector, dont work and live off benefits, and/or have nothing to lose?
Gordon dewar may not suit your political nuance mate, but, his opinion is equally as valid as yours. Because he is a unioinst you couldnt wait to press the FREEDUM button.

See what I mean, folks? 4000 dead but Tories think business comes first. Nor do they understand that the quickest way to get business back is to kill off the virus.

The second wave needn’t have come to Scotland if the vested interests hadn’t insisted on flucking it up. I’m sure those who have been bereaved when their loved one drowned in their own mucus will wish they had kept the head.
[/quote]

No you have to strike a balance. The public sector relies on a strong, vibrant, successful private sector to fund it. Without that we shall all be in penury as Hads quite correctly states. All economic statements I’ve seen point to the huge job losses in the private sector, more salary cuts and shorter hours have been imposed on private sector firms. The public sector continues on regardless. No paycuts for politicians, bones in NHS but what about other essential public services, logistics, transport? We are all in this together? Really?

I fully endorse Mr Dewar’s viewpoint and comments and suspect Mr Provan won’t be far behind. Ms Sturgeon’s statement takes zero account of folks cancelled holidays being moved forward in 2021. It’s time for a balanced approach and not the policies of the zealots.
[/quote]

Couldn’t agree less and I’m mystified that anyone would let our elderly die in their thousands to keep themselves in the manor they’re accustomed to. But we’d better leave it at that.

Provan won’t be so stupid as to burn his bridges with the Scottish Government. Dewar’s gob may have done GLA a favour if Provan keeps any arsey Covid opinions out of the media.
[/quote]

I didn’t cause elderly to die upon their thousands in care homes! The government allowed elderly persons to be transferred into care homes without adequate screening or protection for them and care home staff.

Regards my “manor” I don’t live in one but in a two bedroom flat, within my means and financial constraints resulting from Covid. No longer employed, lower income, yes I’m absolutely not living in the manner I was accustomed to and no doubt shall be paying much more in the way of taxes to support the system!
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55263038
The restrictions will be in place from 04:00 GMT on Saturday 12 December.

BUT you can go to Saudi Arabia and Botswana!!
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:46 pm
I didn’t cause elderly to die upon their thousands in care homes! The government allowed elderly persons to be transferred into care homes without adequate screening or protection for them and care home staff.

Regards my “manor” I don’t live in one but in a two bedroom flat, within my means and financial constraints resulting from Covid. No longer employed, lower income, yes I’m absolutely not living in the manner I was accustomed to and no doubt shall be paying much more in the way of taxes to support the system!
I wasn’t talking about you personally.

And the care home mistakes were clinical decisions in the early part of the pandemic which were mirrored in the rest of the UK and indeed worldwide.

Want to talk about mistakes - I think Scotland should have shut everything down totally and completely very early on. The only people on the streets being police like it was in Bergamo and Wuhan. That would have included stopping all non Covid-fighting businesses, grounding all flights, all transport, closing all borders and ignoring the cries of “that’s not fair” from every vested interest business going.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:51 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55263038

That’s for England.

But if the science says no go then Scot Gov will adjust our list accordingly. A crying shame for Jet2 and GLA but needs must.

BTW airline staff regularly get messages to say someone on board had subsequently tested positive and to keep an eye out for symptoms.

GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Clive wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:28 pm
Bearsden wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:51 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55263038

That’s for England.

But if the science says no go then Scot Gov will adjust our list accordingly. A crying shame for Jet2 and GLA but needs must.

BTW airline staff regularly get messages to say someone on board had subsequently tested positive and to keep an eye out for symptoms.
Canaries added for Scotland too
hads

Post by hads »

Clive wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:19 pm [quote=hads post_id=2622 time=<a href="tel:1607606811">1607606811</a> user_id=150]

[/quote]

It would appear Im speaking in isolation here. To a room full of apologists for a virus that doesnt affect the majority of the population, who are happy for businesses to go bust, for mass unemployment, and incresed reliance on the welfare state.
If your in that camp, Good for you. But dont whine when the country is on its arse and no one knows what to do.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

hads wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:09 am

It would appear Im speaking in isolation here. To a room full of apologists for a virus that doesnt affect the majority of the population, who are happy for businesses to go bust, for mass unemployment, and incresed reliance on the welfare state.
If your in that camp, Good for you. But dont whine when the country is on its arse and no one knows what to do.
[/quote]

I wouldnt say you are on your own ... my wife is in the mental health sector , in fact on the scottish government board . The rise of people in scotland who have committed suicide with the stress of covid is frightening , being out a job etc etc .. we need a balance and get the economy moving .. no death is good however regardless of the cause .
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Hads, I don’t imagine anyone is happy with Covid and its effects on mortality, health, jobs, businesses, the economy or anything else. To say we are happy is to misunderstand.

That’s why we need to get rid of it. It won’t go away without firm action. The world over knows this except for the Trumpian Covid deniers and you can’t want to be one of them.

Concur with ekally too - my mate is a Police inspector and the effect on mental health and suicide rates cannot be overstated. He knows because he has to pick up the pieces, literally.

big ears

Post by big ears »

Might as well throw my 2p worth in also. IMHO the only way to kill off the virus is to lock down the country totally for at least a months with nobody allowed out for any reason. That is the dilema facing all governments world wide. Now, MPs and MSPs etc are people just like us (cringe) who go into politics for different reasons (many will say because they want to make a difference), but few have any particular qualifications or skills, which turns them into a special human being. Some have university degrees, but have studied subjects which dont particularly qualify them to be an MP/MSP.

So these ordinary people, suddenly find themselves plunged into a situation, over which they have no control, ill equipped to deal with it, either practically or politically. So, as any reasonable people would so, they seek advice from the scientific community (many of who have probably been promoted neyond their level of competence). They are required by their office to make decisions, and they make these decisions based on their own experience of life, their collective responsibility, and their understanding of the scientific advice being given.

Bearing in mind that this scientific advice will probably change from week to week in the light of experience, basically they are on a hiding to nothing as their decision process is two to three weeks behind reality.

Then along comes the economic arguement. You cannot possibly lock down a country in totality for 4 or more weeks. People would be lying dead in their houses through disease or starvation and some will inevitably take their own lives.

So the government is pulled this way and that way by the scientists, the economists, business people, doctors, the needs of the NHS, the concerns of the people and so on, and through this fog of "war" have to try to make sense of it all and come to conclusions which are acceptable to the majority and which will control the virus. Yes, I said control, because as I said if we dont lockdown completely it is never gpoing to go away.

Vaccination is only part of the answer because there are still people out there who think that vaccination will alter their DNA or that the government is planting a microchip inside them.

On this forum, you know that I'm not in favour of the SNP in any way, but I think they (gulp and Nicola) have actually done their best to navigate their way through the Covid Crisis in Scotland. Doesnt mean I'm going to vote for them however, but we can always do better after hindsight.

Yes, my annual holidays in Tenerife have been screwed up this year and indeed for the forseeable future, and yes, our travel industry has been decimated. But shit happens, and we the public have to deal with it. F A C T S - masks on,