TUI at ABZ

Moderators: bill, Clive

atuk

TUI at ABZ

Post by atuk »

Well here is the start..... TUI pull all based flying from Aberdeen reducing the number of destinations to CFU, DLM and PMI. These will be served on a W pattern basis presumably covered by EDI and GLA. That in turns means reduced operations from both these aircraft as well since the aircraft operating W pattern flights will only operate a single departure from their base point and not just two so airports such as EDI/GLA will have a reduction in revenue too. That’s fine with a based stable of four plus units but when you are down at one or two it has a severe impact on revenue, employment and profits.

Interesting that Corfu and Palma are both cruise departure points so TUI obviously are banking on that traffic filling the flights with non cruise passengers forming a minority.

This spells clearly the crisis which He travel industry travel faces. A lack of direction by Governments, lack of clarity in forward planning and lack of support for the aviation industry. And there are brighter times ahead? Really? Tell that to the next round of Swissport and AGS employees due to lose their jobs in the next few weeks.

All that matters, or seems to matter, in this country is Public Sector at every turn, cost and priority. When oh when will these folks wake up and realise just how much the private sector underpins their jobs, job security and pensions! :evil:
GKirk

Re: TUI at ABZ

Post by GKirk »

Think EDI base may be closed as well, still offering flights on easyJet though.
Not sure whats happening with GLA, would suggest a lot of cuts due to the uncertainty from the SG
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

GKirk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm Think EDI base may be closed as well, still offering flights on easyJet though.
Not sure whats happening with GLA, would suggest a lot of cuts due to the uncertainty from the SG
No, it’s due to the pandemic. There will be cuts everywhere. It’s also exactly what atuk has been saying for years about W routes so the ABZ base closes.

Plus, there’s no certainty from any countries government - there can’t be because there’s a pandemic with moving pieces so let’s cut the politicking.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm [quote=GKirk post_id=3281 time=<a href="tel:1614266383">1614266383</a> user_id=86]
Think EDI base may be closed as well, still offering flights on easyJet though.
No, it’s due to the pandemic. There will be cuts everywhere. It’s also exactly what atuk has been saying for years about W routes so the ABZ base closes.

Plus, there’s no certainty from any countries government - there can’t be because there’s a pandemic with moving pieces so let’s cut the politicking.
[/quote]

Kirky

Suggest two at GLA W pattern flights worked by GLA and NCL! Cue more uncertainty and job cuts.

Clive Pandemic yes but also as a result of governments, scientists, doommongers all of whom have taken the attitude of keep them down, keep them poor and keep them wanting. I’ve not even started yet regards politics. It’s so easy make these decisions when your own best is featherbedded and you don’t have to worry about the next pay pack coming in.
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

Glasgow still showing as 3 based as I had a quick glance over earlier, haven't noticed any W patterns from us as of yet but that could change over the next few weeks
atuk

Post by atuk »

awwdabaaby wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 pm Glasgow still showing as 3 based as I had a quick glance over earlier, haven't noticed any W patterns from us as of yet but that could change over the next few weeks
John the original EDI had a based aircraft with 3 W pattern flights. If it’s removed then GLA will be three with W patterns included.

At the moment with no dates being advised, even tentatively, I think one half to two thirds of the summer flying programme will be canned. What that means for any based aircraft is anyone’s guess.

I can go back to the early mid seventies with a BY 737 based for half a week. And it back to the 70s were are certainly headed.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:26 pm
Clive wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm No, it’s due to the pandemic. There will be cuts everywhere. It’s also exactly what atuk has been saying for years about W routes so the ABZ base closes.

Suggest two at GLA W pattern flights worked by GLA and NCL! Cue more uncertainty and job cuts.

Clive Pandemic yes but also as a result of governments, scientists, doommongers all of whom have taken the attitude of keep them down, keep them poor and keep them wanting. I’ve not even started yet regards politics. It’s so easy make these decisions when your own best is featherbedded and you don’t have to worry about the next pay pack coming in.
No, it’s not easy at all. That’s just poor, Ian.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
ROC10

Post by ROC10 »

The current timetable shows that ABZ is reduced but still indicates a based aircraft operating a few days a week with W-patterns elsewhere (presumably GLA).

EDI looks to be unchanged since the last time I properly checked (October 2020). This consists of based flying every day, including 4 W-patterns per week to NCL.

GLA would take longer to check but I would guess, realistically, it’ll probably be ~2 aircraft (pessimistic 1, optimistic 3). This will, of course, be very dependent on the pandemic and rules/guidance from the Scottish Government as well as potential restrictions imposed by other countries (I’d say it’s quite unlikely the likes of Spain and Greece will be looking to heavily restrict UK holidaymakers for obvious reasons). There’s no question that airlines are going to be more cautious with Scottish flights for this reason.
atuk

Post by atuk »

ROC10 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:18 pm The current timetable shows that ABZ is reduced but still indicates a based aircraft operating a few days a week with W-patterns elsewhere (presumably GLA).

EDI looks to be unchanged since the last time I properly checked (October 2020). This consists of based flying every day, including 4 W-patterns per week to NCL.

GLA would take longer to check but I would guess, realistically, it’ll probably be ~2 aircraft (pessimistic 1, optimistic 3). This will, of course, be very dependent on the pandemic and rules/guidance from the Scottish Government as well as potential restrictions imposed by other countries (I’d say it’s quite unlikely the likes of Spain and Greece will be looking to heavily restrict UK holidaymakers for obvious reasons). There’s no question that airlines are going to be more cautious with Scottish flights for this reason.
roc10 although the timetable may show ABZ based its definitely pulled. TUI announced this yesterday. It also seems as GKirk said earlier EDI base under threat. As you say not good times for aviation. What will be the litmus test is if English airports pick up and Scots don’t due to more severe travel restrictions. Time will tell; as Shakespeare said “ hell hath no fury....”
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:53 am
ROC10 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:18 pm The current timetable shows that ABZ is reduced but still indicates a based aircraft operating a few days a week with W-patterns elsewhere (presumably GLA).

roc10 although the timetable may show ABZ based its definitely pulled. TUI announced this yesterday. It also seems as GKirk said earlier EDI base under threat. As you say not good times for aviation. What will be the litmus test is if English airports pick up and Scots don’t due to more severe travel restrictions. Time will tell; as Shakespeare said “ hell hath no fury....”
As a woman scorned? Oh dear. Given that people don’t understand, let’s take this slowly: there is no more clarity in England than there is in Scotland. Boris gave a target date. No one knows yet if that will be able to be confirmed. Furthermore, our FM hasn’t given a date for international travel restrictions to be eased. That is not to say it will be later than whatever happens in England. It may be the same or we may be able to go further and faster on the way out of lockdown over the next few months. We could just as easily be free to travel before the people in our neighbouring countries. It all depends on how well the virus controls are working. Right now it is actually looking very optimistic for the summer.

Everyone in the industry is kidding themselves on if they think the sound bites gave is any certainty. And that uncertainty goes beyond the UK nations - every country in the world will be hoping to return to business as usual just as soon as possible when they judge it is safe and right to do so.

So notwithstanding the fact we don’t want every thread covering the same ground, whenever anyone accuses the Scottish Government and their advisors of having it in for any particular business sector (as all vested interests do if they read too much Daily Mail) I’ll be on hand to give them the facts. There’s no punishment being handed out - there’s an overriding duty of care for the population during a global pandemic.