Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Ekally1

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Ekally1 »

Been to bournemouth a couple of times ... think we have come up trumps with newquay , bournemouth the poorer relation impo
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

atuk wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:58 am
GKirk wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:51 am TUI operating a short series of freight charters to PHL starting today using 787 G-TUIF

easyJet add 2 x weekly EDI-BOH
Jet2 add weekly EDI-INN for W21/22
Bournemouth surprised me. That was tried, and failed, many moons ago with AirBristol BAC 1-11s. I read a post calling Bournemouth Covid Central. I’ve never been but Mrs C has many, many decades ago. I understand it’s a bit run down but the nicest pictures I have of Bournemouth are a couple of Eastern Scottish finest Bristol coaches in Glasgow Dundas Street being readied for departure there.
Don't you remember the (very) short lived Euroscot Airways GLA/EDI-BOH services? I think they might have tried those route with BAC 1-11s - or was it on the DC9? They were a rip-roaring success :lol: :lol: - I look forward to EDI-BOH continuing in the same vein albeit with more fuel efficient aircraft!

It would not surprise me in the slightest if EZY have been offered money by Scattercash Sunak to operate these ludicrous UK domestic routes they've been announcing of late. Yes I get they need to do something with their aircraft during this pandemic, but seriously - GLA-NQY. EDI-BOH? What next?!

On another note, I noticed that Tory Propaganda TV (sorry, the BBC) played an episode of Fawlty Towers during the last week - primetime - 8pm. WTF? All I took from it was a timely reminder how a lot of our holidays are going to play out this year. Without Manuel though, he's been sent back to Barsssssssselona!
atuk

Post by atuk »

egpffqtv wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:17 am [quote=atuk post_id=3424 time=<a href="tel:1616144307">1616144307</a> user_id=75]
[quote=GKirk post_id=3422 time=<a href="tel:1616140270">1616140270</a> user_id=86]
TUI operating a short series of freight charters to PHL starting today using 787 G-TUIF

easyJet add 2 x weekly EDI-BOH
Jet2 add weekly EDI-INN for W21/22
Bournemouth surprised me. That was tried, and failed, many moons ago with AirBristol BAC 1-11s. I read a post calling Bournemouth Covid Central. I’ve never been but Mrs C has many, many decades ago. I understand it’s a bit run down but the nicest pictures I have of Bournemouth are a couple of Eastern Scottish finest Bristol coaches in Glasgow Dundas Street being readied for departure there.
[/quote]

Don't you remember the (very) short lived Euroscot Airways GLA/EDI-BOH services? I think they might have tried those route with BAC 1-11s - or was it on the DC9? They were a rip-roaring success :lol: :lol: - I look forward to EDI-BOH continuing in the same vein albeit with more fuel efficient aircraft!

It would not surprise me in the slightest if EZY have been offered money by Scattercash Sunak to operate these ludicrous UK domestic routes they've been announcing of late. Yes I get they need to do something with their aircraft during this pandemic, but seriously - GLA-NQY. EDI-BOH? What next?!

On another note, I noticed that Tory Propaganda TV (sorry, the BBC) played an episode of Fawlty Towers during the last week - primetime - 8pm. WTF? All I took from it was a timely reminder how a lot of our holidays are going to play out this year. Without Manuel though, he's been sent back to Barsssssssselona!
[/quote]

EuroScot. Thanks I knew Air Bristol didn’t sound right. I blame Covid for destroying my ageing brain cells - certainly not working doesn’t help.

Yes I saw Faulty Towers too thinking this is what I pay my hard earned £150 for :evil: cannot wait to book up for PMI by 787 but can’t do so until a) the wedding in May which doesn’t look like it can possibly go ahead and is rescheduled b) Covid second jags are given c) it’s safe to do so and Palma traffic for me Palma shoe shops for Mrs C are all open and functioning properly again.

Talking of Mr Sunak I understand he is proposing to reduce/remove APD on domestic routes. Shall we actually see the benefit of this here in Scotland?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:21 pm
Talking of Mr Sunak I understand he is proposing to reduce/remove APD on domestic routes. Shall we actually see the benefit of this here in Scotland?
Seems an odd thing to do. International routes, yes, but domestic? This flies in the face of zero carbon targets and greener inter city travel.

This tax is a devolved matter IIRC.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:18 pm [quote=atuk post_id=3430 time=<a href="tel:1616242904">1616242904</a> user_id=75]

Seems an odd thing to do. International routes, yes, but domestic? This flies in the face of zero carbon targets and greener inter city travel.

This tax is a devolved matter IIRC.
[/quote]

I think he is trying to kick start domestic flying. From what was said international APD will increase! With all these Airbus NEO there will be greener flying but despite the good looks of Azuma trains you need to remortgage the house for a rail trip to London. My rule of the thumb is anything south of Manchester is flying distance. And I can’t enjoy a cup of tea or g&t whilst driving. ;)
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

weefraz wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:47 pm Unfortunately, the FM on 11th March, in response to a question from the Greens said there was no plans to cut APD in Scotland. I totally understand the environmental concerns, but with international travel so heavily suppressed (indefinitely in Scotland, it seems), I really think a cut would really help aviation begin to recover and hopefully save some jobs (which are hanging by a thread in Scotland at the moment). In my opinion, a temporary cut on domestic flights until international travel can become a bit more normal would probably be a good balance.
It’s not indefinite.

A temporary cut in APD for domestic flights? How’s that going to stimulate the market?

APD on international flights is a different matter because we are competing with Euro countries with lower tax but that issue is null and void for domestic travel.

Tell me, if they reduced train fares by a fiver would that encourage you or I to go to Manchester or Birmingham for a jaunt?

I really don’t think so.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

weefraz wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:30 pm
Clive wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:22 pmA temporary cut in APD for domestic flights? How’s that going to stimulate the market?
Airlines will keep fares as they are won't need to fill aircraft as much as they do now to break even. That will save some jobs while international travel is so heavily restricted by Government, in my opinion.

Clive, perhaps not deliberately, but your tone comes across as incredibly condescending. I'm only sharing my opinion following atuk's comments on APD.
I do apologise and obviously it’s not personal but I cannot stand all of the different business sectors who say they are being persecuted and can operate safely (every one of them says that and it’s untrue in all cases - the epitome of vested interests navel gazing) when in fact governments across the world are trying to navigate through this crisis as safely and as quickly as possible so we can all get back to normality both sooner and while still alive.

It would be hypocritical of me if I exempted Derek Provan and the rest of the travel industry from that. Unfortunately travel really is the viruses lifeblood.

Anyone disagree?

big ears

Post by big ears »

People will still choose to fly from Glasgow and Edinburgh to London as long as rail fares are kept at extortionate levels. We used to travel to our daughters in Oxford by train, but it is inconvenient and expensive, and involves juggling trains. Flying to Luton is an option, but then its a nightmare getting from Luton to Oxford. Whats we really need is a totally integrated transport system in the UK. We could make a start in Central Scotland where we should be able to jump from bus, to underground, to overground train and even the Edinburgh tram system all on the one ticket, but I dont think thats going to happen any time soon. Before lockdown, now we just grit our teeth and drive to Oxford. Not sure an electric car would make it that distance....
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

I see KLM and Lufthansa have both resumed service within the last week, joining Air France and Finnair, on Euro hub services. Green shoots of recovery making a tentative appearance.
atuk

Post by atuk »

PiperOne wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:46 pm I see KLM and Lufthansa have both resumed service within the last week, joining Air France and Finnair, on Euro hub services. Green shoots of recovery making a tentative appearance.
Welcome news but still a long, long way to go. Many folks still furloughed and at present no signs of that changing in the next few months. Not unless things take a massive hike up and Dame Fortune waves her magic wand and says “ yes....you can holiday abroad once more” :D