Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Ekally1

Re: Corona virus and its effects on GLA

Post by Ekally1 »

Allen McL wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:21 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:36 pm
Clive wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 pm Derek Provan is at it again

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/airport- ... k-24264725
Totally agree with him
Utter, utter self interested tosh from Provan once again. The pandemic is far from over yet and Scottish connectivity is at no more or less risk than connectivity anywhere else is. As we have seen in recent years, the biggest threat to regional connectivity is lethargy and inaction on the part of airport bosses. Conveniently deflecting the blame for years of mismanagement is fooling nobody.
The world needs to open up again , a plan needs to be in place to do it but i dont agree with your opinion about pandemic... there is more people dying with mental health issues , suicides , drug overdoses caused by worry with job security , redundancies , losing income than what covid is doing at the moment ... And before anybody says thats rubbish , sorry my wife is chair advisor for mental health for UK and scottish government so i will take that advise , and no coincidence we have a mental health issue at the moment , ..people at risk in UK have had vaccine , we need proper air corridors to similar vaccine success countrys such as USA etc , not left in limbo ...
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Ekally1 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:12 am

Totally agree with him
Utter, utter self interested tosh from Provan once again. The pandemic is far from over yet and Scottish connectivity is at no more or less risk than connectivity anywhere else is. As we have seen in recent years, the biggest threat to regional connectivity is lethargy and inaction on the part of airport bosses. Conveniently deflecting the blame for years of mismanagement is fooling nobody.
The world needs to open up again , a plan needs to be in place to do it but i dont agree with your opinion about pandemic... there is more people dying with mental health issues , suicides , drug overdoses caused by worry with job security , redundancies , losing income than what covid is doing at the moment ... And before anybody says thats rubbish , sorry my wife is chair advisor for mental health for UK and scottish government so i will take that advise , and no coincidence we have a mental health issue at the moment , ..people at risk in UK have had vaccine , we need proper air corridors to similar vaccine success countrys such as USA etc , not left in limbo ...
We will when the time is right. Most people would agree it would risk everything if we threw caution to the wind at this moment in time. And I don’t just mean in Scotland or the UK, but worldwide.

Should we take it you think New Zealand have done it wrong by closing international borders early on, keeping them closed when there’s virtually no Covid in NZ and only recently opening an air corridor with Australia who also had international borders closed?

Most people think New Zealand has handled it brilliantly.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

NZ is bigger land mass than uk and less than half the population of scotland ... not surprised it coped better , you cant really compare oranges and apples .. BTW you can still get to and from NZ if you had to ...
Last edited by Ekally1 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Ekally1 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:12 am

Totally agree with him
I fully sympathise with anyone suffering mental health issues linked with the current situation. But the whole point is Covid-19 is a transmittable viral disease whereas none of the others you mention are. This is a concept some people have a hard time understanding it would seem, and sadly, whilst the entire situation right now is highly regrettable, filling planes up with people and sending them around the globe, will only further delay getting back to normality. Look how well it's gone in Portugal already.

It's all too easy to be sitting in a position outwith government and public health officialdom, casting aspersions and doubts because you are an expert in your own field. That old expression, 'You do your job, and I'll do mine' seems most apt here.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Ill agree to disagree
sunflyer

Post by sunflyer »

Lots of Easyjet flights now cancelled until late July
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

We are always going to have covid now , always going to have new variants of covid ... we need to accept this and move on with life or we are going to stuck in limbo , people losing jobs such as stobart , more loses to come unless we move on and get on with it
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Ekally1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:48 am We are always going to have covid now , always going to have new variants of covid ... we need to accept this and move on with life or we are going to stuck in limbo , people losing jobs such as stobart , more loses to come unless we move on and get on with it
And of course Stobart Air wasn't thrown under the bus by Aer Lingus and IAG with a nominated and freshly created suitor waiting in the shade to take over the Regional flying, was it ? Not entirely short of business with resumption of flights and an expanded BHD operation either. We already know how IAG likes to do business, and if this collapse is being entirely blamed on the pandemic, I'll be a monkey's uncle.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Allen McL wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:28 am
Ekally1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:48 am We are always going to have covid now , always going to have new variants of covid ... we need to accept this and move on with life or we are going to stuck in limbo , people losing jobs such as stobart , more loses to come unless we move on and get on with it
And of course Stobart Air wasn't thrown under the bus by Aer Lingus and IAG with a nominated and freshly created suitor waiting in the shade to take over the Regional flying, was it ? Not entirely short of business with resumption of flights and an expanded BHD operation either. We already know how IAG likes to do business, and if this collapse is being entirely blamed on the pandemic, I'll be a monkey's uncle.
Stobart aside , airlines , travel industry , hotels going to go under , only a matter of time ... my point is still valid , yours is simply a deflection
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Ekally1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:00 am
Allen McL wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:28 am
Stobart aside , airlines , travel industry , hotels going to go under , only a matter of time ... my point is still valid , yours is simply a deflection
Your point is merely a continuation of your argument that public health should take second place to commerce, even if the pursuit of said commerce endangers public health. As others have argued, until a full vaccination programme has been completed, there's no point at all in risking the progress already made. Yes lots of harsh realities to be dealt with but then again The Dummies Guide to Pandemic Trading never did get published, did it ?

As to my 'point of defection' as you put it, If you think the demise of Stobart Air is purely down to current market conditions, that's entirely up to you.