PIK

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: PIK

Post by Bearsden »

The political & financial case will always be predicated on the maintenance base but we are in a 'dog eat dog' rebuild of passenger routes into Central Scotland so surely it is a state subsidy if the revenue from passenger operations doesn't at least cover direct costs plus a fair apportionment of overheads . . . . but will EDI and/or GLA play that card?
atuk

Post by atuk »

Bearsden wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 pm The political & financial case will always be predicated on the maintenance base but we are in a 'dog eat dog' rebuild of passenger routes into Central Scotland so surely it is a state subsidy if the revenue from passenger operations doesn't at least cover direct costs plus a fair apportionment of overheads . . . . but will EDI and/or GLA play that card?
I think they may, Bearsden. GIP/Vinci will be under extreme pressure to recover as much market share as they can. AGS will also need to recover given the impact on SOU, GLA and ABZ. Any passenger traffic at PIK comes with a subsidy, whether it’s visible or clouded by other costs.

As it’s normally the budget end of the market which is impacted most I find it difficult to see FR promoting PIK over the other two airports where it has a larger catchment area.
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

atuk wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:09 pm
Bearsden wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:33 pm The political & financial case will always be predicated on the maintenance base but we are in a 'dog eat dog' rebuild of passenger routes into Central Scotland so surely it is a state subsidy if the revenue from passenger operations doesn't at least cover direct costs plus a fair apportionment of overheads . . . . but will EDI and/or GLA play that card?
I think they may, Bearsden. GIP/Vinci will be under extreme pressure to recover as much market share as they can. AGS will also need to recover given the impact on SOU, GLA and ABZ. Any passenger traffic at PIK comes with a subsidy, whether it’s visible or clouded by other costs.

As it’s normally the budget end of the market which is impacted most I find it difficult to see FR promoting PIK over the other two airports where it has a larger catchment area.
I can see MOL wanting to cut his costs as much as he can going forward and using PIK, a cheap operating airport for him, will appeal at the expense of GLA I suspect.
dav3

Post by dav3 »

noticed that the CAF have been using Belfast recently and today a Kuwait AF c17 was at Newcastle.With the fewer US military movements all of this cant be good for PIK.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

CAF CC-177 177701 through PIK this weekend - two nightstops

KAF C-17A 342 today at NEW is not a transit stop but looks like specific previous visits to NEW
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Bearsden wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:10 pm CAF CC-177 177701 through PIK this weekend - two nightstops

KAF C-17A 342 today at NEW is not a transit stop but looks like specific previous visits to NEW
The KAF C-17s to NCL are generally related with visits to De La Rue.
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

I understand that a lack of hotel accommodation at PIK is an issue for some of the mil flights.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Sharpal7 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm I understand that a lack of hotel accommodation at PIK is an issue for some of the mil flights.
Aren’t all hotels closed during the Covid lockdown?

C
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

Clive wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 pm
Sharpal7 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 pm I understand that a lack of hotel accommodation at PIK is an issue for some of the mil flights.

C
Some are open for Key Workers
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

GKirk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm
Clive wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:42 pm

C
Some are open for Key Workers
eg Holiday Inn at Glasgow Airport
HOTEL ONLY OPEN TO KEY WORKERS FOLLOWING UK GOVERNMENT GUIDANCE. In response to Covid-19 the UK Government has instructed that all hotel operations must be suspended with immediate effect, with the exception of hotels hosting key workers. This hotel is complying with the government’s request by only accepting bookings from key workers at this time.