Post Covid-19:What does the future look like?

Moderators: bill, Clive

bill

Re: Post Covid-19:What does the future look like?

Post by bill »

Absolutely not mate.No point in flying then. ;) :lol:
Does anyone envisage a future where along with your passport for ID purposes you'll need to produce a medical certificate showing that you have all the latest jabs? Especially when entering a country.
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

bill wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:13 pm Absolutely not mate.No point in flying then. ;) :lol:
Does anyone envisage a future where along with your passport for ID purposes you'll need to produce a medical certificate showing that you have all the latest jabs? Especially when entering a country.
Nothing new in that. Several countries require documentation of vaccination now. The US used to require TB innoculations IIRC - was just ayes/no question with no proof though
bill

Post by bill »

jetblue497 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:06 pm
bill wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:13 pm Absolutely not mate.No point in flying then. ;) :lol:
Nothing new in that. Several countries require documentation of vaccination now. The US used to require TB innoculations IIRC - was just ayes/no question with no proof though
Sorry,I meant to emphasise the fact that you'll need to show proof of vaccination against Covid-19 specifically.
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Clive wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm
Sharpal7 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm
Clive wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:27 pm Reckon life will be back to normal in the fullness of time.

Be interesting to hear if anyone thinks anything in the long term will be different than it was.
I don't think it's going to look normal for lots of people whose jobs will be lost, in all walks of live.
So you see permanent changes rather than a return to life as we knew it? In what ways and why?
The point I'm making Clive is that for many "normal" ie their previous way of life will be different having now lost their job and unfortunately that looks likely for thousands of people, and will have been totally unexpected.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Sharpal7 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 pm
Sharpal7 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm

I don't think it's going to look normal for lots of people whose jobs will be lost, in all walks of live.
So you see permanent changes rather than a return to life as we knew it? In what ways and why?
The point I'm making Clive is that for many "normal" ie their previous way of life will be different having now lost their job and unfortunately that looks likely for thousands of people, and will have been totally unexpected.
Indeed.

I know that in the company I work for a whole department closed and a load of drivers were laid off (with generous redundancy which I would jump at) and that most have walked straight into new jobs because there is high demand for their skills. So they are actually better off!

I think rather than 4 million unemployed like we used to have, some people will be doing different jobs.

The economy will get back on track over time IMO.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Clive wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 am
Sharpal7 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Indeed.

I know that in the company I work for a whole department closed and a load of drivers were laid off (with generous redundancy which I would jump at) and that most have walked straight into new jobs because there is high demand for their skills. So they are actually better off!

I think rather than 4 million unemployed like we used to have, some people will be doing different jobs.

The economy will get back on track over time IMO.
Good to hear a positive outcome already for some people Clive.
hads

Post by hads »

Things will certainly return to near normal and I wager pretty quickly. Humanity has made massive advances in the last 50 years and we wont throw that away. There will be subtle differences of course but the majority of people want nice things, nice cars, nice holidays, nice houses. Of course, you need a wage for that.
Unemployment will take a hammering. Im noting with great interest that the larger companies are using the virus as an excuse to get the " bad news " out. It always happens.
Im looking forward to returning to a normal working environment, going on holiday , and going for a few beers.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 am Things will certainly return to near normal and I wager pretty quickly. Humanity has made massive advances in the last 50 years and we wont throw that away. There will be subtle differences of course but the majority of people want nice things, nice cars, nice holidays, nice houses. Of course, you need a wage for that.
Unemployment will take a hammering. Im noting with great interest that the larger companies are using the virus as an excuse to get the " bad news " out. It always happens.
Im looking forward to returning to a normal working environment, going on holiday , and going for a few beers.
Yes me too. Thoroughly agree with all of that.

Weatherspoons are talking today about opening all of their bars very soon so there’s an EGpF bevvy on the horizon.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

I freely admit to take a 'glass half empty' view to forecasts as I've seen so many go south

There will be businesses who will get back on track within the next 12-18 months but many others will take 3-5 years plus to recover to 2019 levels (aviation in western economies being one with the consequent effect on tourism) while some will have downsized for much longer, even permanently

Aviation is taking a hammering and many of the actions taken or proposed are not short-term dips that can be easily reversed - the administration of flybe (not long after Thomas Cook & flybmi), fleets being grounded (eg A380, B747), airports & airlines operating in a 'social distance' environment or whatever compromise might be agreed etc

Age will be a key factor on aviation's leisure market - the 55+ plus group still have the income (mainly defined benefit pensions) but will be constrained until the risk factors are reduced even eliminated (no travel insurance)
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Bearsden wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:48 pm I freely admit to take a 'glass half empty' view to forecasts as I've seen so many go south

There will be businesses who will get back on track within the next 12-18 months but many others will take 3-5 years plus to recover to 2019 levels (aviation in western economies being one with the consequent effect on tourism) while some will have downsized for much longer, even permanently

Aviation is taking a hammering and many of the actions taken or proposed are not short-term dips that can be easily reversed - the administration of flybe (not long after Thomas Cook & flybmi), fleets being grounded (eg A380, B747), airports & airlines operating in a 'social distance' environment or whatever compromise might be agreed etc

Age will be a key factor on aviation's leisure market - the 55+ plus group still have the income (mainly defined benefit pensions) but will be constrained until the risk factors are reduced even eliminated (no travel insurance)
Commentary on tourism from BBC's Douglas Fraser
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52783841