Tui forced to cancel Glasgow Airport flights to popular summer holiday destinations

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: Tui forced to cancel Glasgow Airport flights to popular summer holiday destinations

Post by Bearsden »

ROC10 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:17 pm TUI have barely flown from GLA at all this summer. There’s been a 738 based full time but it has hardly moved. I think at the peak it was something like 2xPMI, 1xIBZ, 1xZTH per week and has been nothing at all for a couple of weeks now. Surely if they can’t even operate during the summer holidays there’s little chance of much else operating this year? With EDI and ABZ completely pulled it’s been an extremely poor show from TUI in Scotland this year.

Excuse my ignorance (I’ve had no real reason to keep up as I’ve had no overseas travel plans), but are the rules really that different between England and Scotland? TUI have managed to operate many more flights from the likes of NCL/DSA/EMA/STN/BRS than GLA.
Two reasons perhaps . . . . political messaging and Scottish school holidays so people committed to 'staycations' far earlier
Clive
Site Admin

Re: Tui forced to cancel Glasgow Airport flights to popular summer holiday destinations

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:37 pm
ROC10 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:17 pm TUI have barely flown from GLA at all this summer. There’s been a 738 based full time but it has hardly moved. I think at the peak it was something like 2xPMI, 1xIBZ, 1xZTH per week and has been nothing at all for a couple of weeks now. Surely if they can’t even operate during the summer holidays there’s little chance of much else operating this year? With EDI and ABZ completely pulled it’s been an extremely poor show from TUI in Scotland this year.

Excuse my ignorance (I’ve had no real reason to keep up as I’ve had no overseas travel plans), but are the rules really that different between England and Scotland? TUI have managed to operate many more flights from the likes of NCL/DSA/EMA/STN/BRS than GLA.
Two reasons perhaps . . . . political messaging and Scottish school holidays so people committed to 'staycations' far earlier
Political messaging? Maybe it’s just because there is a global pandemic going on. A lot of people have no intention of travelling this year.

Record breaking numbers of new cases right now in Scotland. Surprised any other country is allowing us in.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:28 am [quote=Bearsden post_id=4259 time=<a href="tel:1629841030">1629841030</a> user_id=72]
[quote=ROC10 post_id=4258 time=<a href="tel:1629839862">1629839862</a> user_id=171]
TUI have barely flown from GLA at all this summer. There’s been a 738 based full time but it has hardly moved. I think at the peak it was something like 2xPMI, 1xIBZ, 1xZTH per week and has been nothing at all for a couple of weeks now. Surely if they can’t even operate during the summer holidays there’s little chance of much else operating this year? With EDI and ABZ completely pulled it’s been an extremely poor show from TUI in Scotland this year.

[/quote]

Political messaging? Maybe it’s just because there is a global pandemic going on. A lot of people have no intention of travelling this year.

Record breaking numbers of new cases right now in Scotland. Surprised any other country is allowing us in.
[/quote]

Works okay in Europe, at least within Schengen! Folks there have been later in being vaccinated, if at all, but still can go on holiday. Perhaps more proactive politicians and scientists?
atuk

Post by atuk »

Even although restrictions have eased there are still few fights operating from GLA and even fewer from ABZ and EdI.

I personally know two families jetting off by TUI yesterday to CFU and TFS....
.from NCL.

Mark my words I bet in TUI land NCL will have as many aircraft as BRS and Scottish airports will get the crumbs.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

FWIW, next summer sees Tui base 4 x 737.and 1 x part based 787 at NCL
viscount

Post by viscount »

atuk wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:11 am Even although restrictions have eased there are still few fights operating from GLA and even fewer from ABZ and EdI.

I personally know two families jetting off by TUI yesterday to CFU and TFS....
.from NCL.

Mark my words I bet in TUI land NCL will have as many aircraft as BRS and Scottish airports will get the crumbs.
What’s new
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Yet there remains huge demand for bucket and spade holiday flights from Scottish airports despite covid and it's disruptions. Demand is normally met with supply, if Tui don't cater for that, someone else will. It's ALWAYS been the case that English airports are able to attract Scottish custom due to competitive pricing, yet Scottish airports have continued to serve this market regardless.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

"Flights with TUI take off from all the major airports, including London Gatwick, London Luton and Manchester. We also fly from regional airports like Bournemouth, Exeter, Leeds, Newcastle and Norwich."

That's taken from the TUI flights homepage, how can they seriously not include a Scottish Airport in that list??
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:02 am "Flights with TUI take off from all the major airports, including London Gatwick, London Luton and Manchester. We also fly from regional airports like Bournemouth, Exeter, Leeds, Newcastle and Norwich."

That's taken from the TUI flights homepage, how can they seriously not include a Scottish Airport in that list??
To be fair, it's only a selection quoted. Birmingham, East Midlands, Cardiff, and Bristol could just as easily have been mentioned. However, their GLA operation is way behind the pre-merger state, when Britannia and Air 2000 both had two based B757s, and visiting 767s.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

PiperOne wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:44 am
GeorgeNTravels wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:02 am "Flights with TUI take off from all the major airports, including London Gatwick, London Luton and Manchester. We also fly from regional airports like Bournemouth, Exeter, Leeds, Newcastle and Norwich."

To be fair, it's only a selection quoted. Birmingham, East Midlands, Cardiff, and Bristol could just as easily have been mentioned. However, their GLA operation is way behind the pre-merger state, when Britannia and Air 2000 both had two based B757s, and visiting 767s.
But still they are a UK airline, if they wanted to list 4 regional airports they really should have mentioned 1 in each part of the UK they serve.