PIK

Moderators: bill, Clive

PiperOne

Re: PIK

Post by PiperOne »

Very similar in concept to the Stobart proposal of around 10 years ago, to create a logistics centre attached to industrial development. Sadly that was rejected by South Ayrshire Council, as it incorporated an element of retail and residential, as well as closure of 03/21. The rail and road connections are straightforward on the southeast side. I can only assume that finance in some way played a part in this, let's hope for some probing questions in Holyrood at FMQ's soon.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

I'm assuming the substantially under asking price that was proposed had something to do with it as well ?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

"Pas­sen­ger flights would have con­tin­ued for a min­imum of five years. If they made com­mer­cial sense, it would have been sup­por­ted. However, the strength of Prestwick lies in spe­cial­ist oper­a­tions such as freight, MRO, mil­it­ary sup­port and other engin­eer­ing.“

There we have it. Pax ops would be ending.

The buyers had the right plans but didn’t like the state of disrepair or the fact that nearly £50m in debt is outstanding. A buyer will need 2 things: similar plans and deep pockets.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 pm "Pas­sen­ger flights would have con­tin­ued for a min­imum of five years. If they made com­mer­cial sense, it would have been sup­por­ted. However, the strength of Prestwick lies in spe­cial­ist oper­a­tions such as freight, MRO, mil­it­ary sup­port and other engin­eer­ing.“

The buyers had the right plans but didn’t like the state of disrepair or the fact that nearly £50m in debt is outstanding. A buyer will need 2 things: similar plans and deep pockets.
I don't interpret the quote as 'pax ops would be ending' - (a) minimum of five years (might be back up to 1.0m - 1.5m passengers by then if Ryanair expanded or if EDI did a FRA!) (b) as I've commented before 'commercial sense' could be interpreted as 'marginal cash positive' ie ignore all the airfield's fixed costs as they are covered by military, freight etc
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Bearsden wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:31 pm
Clive wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 pm "Pas­sen­ger flights would have con­tin­ued for a min­imum of five years. If they made com­mer­cial sense, it would have been sup­por­ted. However, the strength of Prestwick lies in spe­cial­ist oper­a­tions such as freight, MRO, mil­it­ary sup­port and other engin­eer­ing.“

I don't interpret the quote as 'pax ops would be ending' - (a) minimum of five years (might be back up to 1.0m - 1.5m passengers by then if Ryanair expanded or if EDI did a FRA!) (b) as I've commented before 'commercial sense' could be interpreted as 'marginal cash positive' ie ignore all the airfield's fixed costs as they are covered by military, freight etc
It says “if they made commercial sense”. Pax ops below 2.5m cannot be profitable at PIK and would not be a core operation of the business. Route development is impossible and Ryanair are not going to play nice on charges when they know they have no future and a better counter offer from GLA.

I’m glad the article made mention of the pax ops and that they are obviously not a core consideration of any would-be buyer.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Paris

Post by Paris »

I agree: The quote ‘If they made commercial sense’ is the get-out-clause… Had this offer been accepted and all i ’s dotted + t ’s crossed… The passenger terminal would have quickly been closed (probably forever) - Opinion.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

The bosses behind Scotland's airports have called for the Scottish Government to reveal its planned “endgame” for the public ownership of Prestwick Airport.

Gordon Dewar, chief executive at Edinburgh Airport, and Brian McClean director of communications and sustainability at AGS Airports - which owns Glasgow and Aberdeen airports - were speaking at the Scottish Affairs Committee meeting.

Dewar said: “Pre-Covid, we were on the record talking about a subsidised airport that doesn’t live within the level playing field - it probably directly impacts Glasgow more, but it fundamentally skews what should be a competitive and fair playing field, whether you have a Covid crisis or not.

“Equally, from the point of view of a taxpayer, I’m still at quite a loss at what can be achieved with that level of subsidy.”

Prestwick Airport is receiving around £15m in subsidies from the Scottish Government, while improvements are made and a private buyer is sought. It is believed that Prestwick is also benefiting from rates relief and the cost of policing being waved.

However, the Scottish Government recently confirmed that it had delayed the sale of the airport until the time was right.

Dewar added: “It would be good to see an endgame that would stop seeing money spent on an airport that isn’t sustaining jobs in any meaningful way.

It is estimated that the latest restrictions have delayed the recovery for Scottish airports by three years until 2024 to 2025, with the worst case being 2025 to 2026, before passenger numbers return to pre-pandemic levels.

McClean echoed Dewar's sentiments on Prestwick, adding: “It distorts the market completely - the clue is in the name: it's called Glasgow Prestwick Airport - the passenger it’s serving to some destination is from our own catchment area.

Full story: https://www.insider.co.uk/news/scottish ... t-25910232

billyg6

Post by billyg6 »

Clive wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 am

the clue is in the name: it's called Glasgow Prestwick Airport - the passenger it’s serving to some destination is from our own catchment area.
This.

Prestwick has been riding on the city's back for long enough , call it what you want , but "Glasgow" should be dropped !
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:26 pm Ryanair planning 38 weekly flights from PIK to 9 destinations next summer those being:

Alicante - 6 weekly
Barcelona - 3 weekly
Faro - 5 weekly
Gran Canaria - 2 weekly
Lanzarote - 2 weekly
Malaga - 5 weekly
Murcia International - 2 weekly
Palma de Mallorca - 7 weekly
Tenerife - 6 weekly

2 based aircraft and the rest operated by visiting aircraft.
Small change in that Palma is going from 7x week down to 6x week - Saturday flight removed