VS moving to EDI?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Bearsden

Re: VS moving to EDI?

Post by Bearsden »

Clive wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:26 pm
Paris wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:15 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:10 pm

That was because there was an government embargo stopping flights ex gla and edi
Yup & as soon as this ridicules Imposed ruling was rescinded …. All PIK transatlantic traffic switched to GLA + many more joined the party… GLA has now lost that niche it had to EDI & it is now way, way out in front as this countries premier airport destination for both outbound & inbound traffic. Lots of reasons of course for this, but in my mind past & present (mis) management, personnel, skills, experience, policy etc, etc is at the forefront of blame/reason. Doubt there are many on this forum not on same thinking…
It’s easy for us to say but the reality is probably far removed from that.

To me it’s more because EDI has woken up over the last 20-30 years.

To be fair, if it was the only airport in central Scotland (or if GLA was) we’d have as many pax and flights as DUB or MAN. But the market is split between 3 airports.
Yes, EDI has woken up but the momentum increased significantly under new owners with significant airport interests (not least Gatwick) and a new but experienced CEO ex GLA via Bahrain

I'm afraid AGS just don't have the firepower financially and commercially especially post COVID-19 to halt the slide . . . its portfolio of ABZ, GLA & SOU have little in common to generate synergy deals and the deals that secured the easyJet and Ryanair bases and the various airline alliances at EDI are not going to be diluted

I forecast a couple of weeks ago 4.0m-4.8m passengers for next year . . . I'm now tending towards the bottom end of that range

Newcastle and Liverpool have been mentioned in this thread, both handled around 5m passengers in 2019 - GLA has a different mix of traffic but I think its overall passenger traffic will outturn in 2022 on at similar levels to these two airports
kenneth1

Post by kenneth1 »

Are Lingus promoting Orlando and Barbados flights on Radio Clyde earlier, presumably aimed at potential and ex Virgin customers. The pre-clearance in Dublin is an attraction rather than the Orlando chaotic operation.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

kenneth1 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 pm Are Lingus promoting Orlando and Barbados flights on Radio Clyde earlier, presumably aimed at potential and ex Virgin customers. The pre-clearance in Dublin is an attraction rather than the Orlando chaotic operation.
Is that not promoting their new "UK' services ex MAN though ?
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

Allen McL wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:36 am
kenneth1 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:07 pm Are Lingus promoting Orlando and Barbados flights on Radio Clyde earlier, presumably aimed at potential and ex Virgin customers. The pre-clearance in Dublin is an attraction rather than the Orlando chaotic operation.
Is that not promoting their new "UK' services ex MAN though ?
Likely to be the case as the UK-US is still not on sale if it involves Emerald. TBH its getting late for this to be getting sorted out.
bill

Post by bill »

Can't help thinking that VS have made an almighty balls-up with this decision. Of course we don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I always thought they were quids-in with their GLA op's and looking to expand their frequencies? Something drastic happen with them and GLA?
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

bill wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 pm Can't help thinking that VS have made an almighty balls-up with this decision. Of course we don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I always thought they were quids-in with their GLA op's and looking to expand their frequencies? Something drastic happen with them and GLA?
BGI is gone even for next winter from what I can see, MCO bookings look ok but many of them will be rebooked pax from GLA, they will regret the move I think
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

GeorgeNTravels wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:36 pm
bill wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:39 pm Can't help thinking that VS have made an almighty balls-up with this decision. Of course we don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I always thought they were quids-in with their GLA op's and looking to expand their frequencies? Something drastic happen with them and GLA?
BGI is gone even for next winter from what I can see, MCO bookings look ok but many of them will be rebooked pax from GLA, they will regret the move I think
Given that most airlines only show seats available in the GDS 330-355 days in advance, are you sure this route has gone for W22/23?
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

egpffqtv wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:10 am
GeorgeNTravels wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:36 pm
Given that most airlines only show seats available in the GDS 330-355 days in advance, are you sure this route has gone for W22/23?
Looks like it is still going ahead for this season, someone else said on the forum they heard rumours it was gone for this season, but I just double checked and it looks like it is still bookable, my mistake, but the loads on it are nothing to write home about
Gla1

Post by Gla1 »

Well me and a friend booked GLA-LHR-MCO rather than use Virgin from EDI or indeed TUI to Melbourne. The British airways sale is very good indeed compared to the direct flights at EDI and glad to still be able to support GLA.

I think it was very ill advised to move away from GLA to EDI but heyho who am I, maybe it will work for them.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Personally I think the real reason for the switch lies in one word; Delta!

The VS flight is code shared with DL and KL and offers West to East connections from the Caribbean and US to Europe, and vice versa. Add into the mix BOS and JFK and the number of onward connections are greatly enhanced giving more choice.

Sadly it’s all down to economies of scale.