Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

southflyer

Re: Edinburgh

Post by southflyer »

It's an impressive list but I suspect it will be a different picture in 2023.

Delta currently have no choice but to operate widebodies on transatlantic routes until they have an operational transatlantic narrowbody fleet. Currently JFK and BOS are year round on a 767 - that's a lot of capacity for two thin winter routes.

Air Canada recently switched to the 787 which represents a significant increase in both overall capacity and premium capacity for a route that was primarily leisure-oriented. Up until last month, EDI was due to be the only transatlantic route served by the MAX besides KEF. It would be interesting to know if this was largely an operational decision or influenced entirely by demand.

I think United and either American or Delta will return to GLA. I'd like to see Air Canada return, GLA previously had a large number of connecting pax onto YYC/YVR in addition to O&D to YYZ. There was also a decent amount of cargo on the route, often connecting onto other long haul routes out of YYZ.
atuk

Post by atuk »

southflyer wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:16 pm It's an impressive list but I suspect it will be a different picture in 2023.

Delta currently have no choice but to operate widebodies on transatlantic routes until they have an operational transatlantic narrowbody fleet. Currently JFK and BOS are year round on a 767 - that's a lot of capacity for two thin winter routes.

Air Canada recently switched to the 787 which represents a significant increase in both overall capacity and premium capacity for a route that was primarily leisure-oriented. Up until last month, EDI was due to be the only transatlantic route served by the MAX besides KEF. It would be interesting to know if this was largely an operational decision or influenced entirely by demand.

I think United and either American or Delta will return to GLA. I'd like to see Air Canada return, GLA previously had a large number of connecting pax onto YYC/YVR in addition to O&D to YYZ. There was also a decent amount of cargo on the route, often connecting onto other long haul routes out of YYZ.
News t me that BOS is year round however Virgin Holidays/ VS close share book lots of folks on DL flights.

AC 787 was a surprise but it’s summer only and here’s hoping that 2023 see a US return from GLA. That said that boat may just have sailed especially if S22 goes to plan on EDI ops.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Don’t care about Turnhoose but I fully expect JetBlue and United at GLA next year.

We’ll probably see WestJet consolidating Scottish ops at GLA too IMHO.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
viscount

Post by viscount »

Agree about west jet and United don’t know much about jet blue
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Clive wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:31 pm Don’t care about Turnhoose but I fully expect JetBlue and United at GLA next year.

We’ll probably see WestJet consolidating Scottish ops at GLA too IMHO.
April Fools?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Another few pax lost to EDI a few years ago … And they were coming to the West Coast of Scotland!

https://liveandletsfly.com/lufthansa-fi ... -scotland/
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

egpffqtv wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:44 am Another few pax lost to EDI a few years ago … And they were coming to the West Coast of Scotland!

https://liveandletsfly.com/lufthansa-fi ... -scotland/
"Ultimately, our plan became to fly to Edinburgh, rent a car, and drive to Kennacraig, where we would take the ferry to Islay."

:lol:
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

atuk wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 pmNews t me that BOS is year round however Virgin Holidays/ VS close share book lots of folks on DL flights.
I stand corrected. I suspect JFK is yet to be adjusted as it's only 5x weekly in Sep/Oct and then daily in winter.
Iain

Post by Iain »

southflyer wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:16 pm
Or just flooding capacity into EDI to try to stop WJ getting established?
I doubt it theyll be back, but with WJ increasingly cooperating with TS then hopefully they'll coordinate their schedules next year and also take care of connections too.
Clive wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:31 pm Don’t care about Turnhoose but I fully expect JetBlue and United at GLA next year.
GLA has a clear market in its own right to both NYC hub and Florida, so it should be served. The murmers re JetBlue are hopefully true.

It's also imperative that GLA gets a an uplift in service to MCO asap and I would hope that EI UK might also come into the mix - perhaps for NYC too.

I'm not so sure about UA - of they get enough people connecting via FRA or driving to EDI they might leave it at that, although if JetBlue turned up they might change their minds suddenly!

All this depends however on having a competitive airport management who have the tools, finance and strategic noise to land such deals.......
Davieboy wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:16 am
Clive wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:50 pm Ill give air baltic one season
If they even start.
First flight of their second season scheduled today.
This typical of GLA - GLA management have completely failed to replace RIX, yet EDI can persuade Air Baltic to go head to head with FR.

Another route to add to the huge list of routes GLA management have dismally failed to replaced
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »