Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

GeorgeNTravels

Re: Edinburgh

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

Personally I think his more to come line was just a reference to Atlanta which hasn’t started yet.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Delta GLA-JFK would of course be a winner and obviously GLA bosses are working on that. Shame no one in this forum sees that. SEA/SLC/MSP-EDI a better business case than JFK-GLA? LOL.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Regarding further expansion of EDI. I think it will be in the back of the minds of the owners that this huge uptick in TATL travel from the opposite side of the pond has the potential to be a temporary thing. It's based very heavily off of a weak pound v the dollar.

If this was to change all of a sudden they could be left with a very expensive, underutilized building. Given they are a vehicle for shareholder returns above all else I see them squeezing the current facilities as much as they can.
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:42 am Delta GLA-JFK would of course be a winner and obviously GLA bosses are working on that. Shame no one in this forum sees that. SEA/SLC/MSP-EDI a better business case than JFK-GLA? LOL.
DL have consolidated at EDI, that is the reality. Frankly I don't have faith in GLA bosses working on anything other than opening Irn Bru T-shirt shops and Greggs.
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

southflyer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:30 am
Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:42 am Delta GLA-JFK would of course be a winner and obviously GLA bosses are working on that. Shame no one in this forum sees that. SEA/SLC/MSP-EDI a better business case than JFK-GLA? LOL.
DL have consolidated at EDI, that is the reality. Frankly I don't have faith in GLA bosses working on anything other than opening Irn Bru T-shirt shops and Greggs.
Credit to GLA management where it’s due however. They’ve got one up on EDI. They have a Greggs and EDI don’t…..
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

“Have consolidated”. It’s funny how you think what’s happening now is permanent when history proves that nothing is. Of course Delta could add JFK-GLA when they see a market opportunity. A million times more likely than them adding an EDI service from a mid west hub with hardly any Euro links.

It’s not a lack of faith in GLA management you have, it’s clearly a lack of faith in the GLA catchment area and the inbound draw for business and leisure in Glasgow and the west of Scotland.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Planeenthusiast wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:48 am
Credit to GLA management where it’s due however. They’ve got one up on EDI. They have a Greggs and EDI don’t…..
Comedy gold. The Edinburgh Fringe Festival awaits you.

egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

Clive wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:17 pm
“Have consolidated”. It’s funny how you think what’s happening now is permanent when history proves that nothing is. Of course Delta could add JFK-GLA when they see a market opportunity. A million times more likely than them adding an EDI service from a mid west hub with hardly any Euro links.

It’s not a lack of faith in GLA management you have, it’s clearly a lack of faith in the GLA catchment area and the inbound draw for business and leisure in Glasgow and the west of Scotland.
Oh be quiet. AGS have failed GLA and well you know it!
southflyer

Post by southflyer »

I have to applaud your enthusiasm sometimes, Clive.

The chances of Delta returning in the near future are next to none. The same goes for American, United, Air Canada, WestJet and so on. It's worth remembering that not only have Delta left the scene but they've also taken VS with them, they had no problem serving the GLA catchment. My lack of faith is very much with GLA, not the catchment. There are other factors at play here. That aside, the catchment has been underserved by GLA for years now and it's only getting worse. Even pre-Covid there were glaring gaps in the network that were served from much smaller airports. The options for travelling to anywhere that isn't London or Tenerife are alarmingly sparse for a city - and catchment - of this size.

Ultimately GLA continues to secure it's place as a bucket and spade airport and it's clear that that is their strategy, meanwhile EDI is the UK's second TATL gateway.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

egpffqtv wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:29 pm

Oh be quiet. AGS have failed GLA and well you know it!
I’m a realist, not a conspiracy theorist. Could they have done better? No doubt. But that can be said for every airport and every business in the world. Airlines have been consolidating Scottish ops at a rival airport. Sadly that happens. I well remember in the 1990’s when market forces had airlines consolidating at GLA. It’s real life out there, not a cosy keyboard and armchair.