VS moving to EDI?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Ekally1

Re: VS moving to EDI?

Post by Ekally1 »

atuk wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:11 am Personally I think the real reason for the switch lies in one word; Delta!

The VS flight is code shared with DL and KL and offers West to East connections from the Caribbean and US to Europe, and vice versa. Add into the mix BOS and JFK and the number of onward connections are greatly enhanced giving more choice.

Sadly it’s all down to economies of scale.
From what I hear , forward bookings aon both VS services are not very good ... infact one is terrible and another I assume is MCO is slightly better buy not satisfactory , I know covid is an issue but EDI is the wrong market for VS bucket and spade and with economies of scale , gonna hit there pockets ... GLA was a cash cow and was going year round ... silly
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

It's true BGI is a terrible seller, but MCO is doing very well.

I suspect it got moved as either EDI or MCO were giving out incentives for new destinations.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

GKirk wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:16 am It's true BGI is a terrible seller, but MCO is doing very well.

I suspect it got moved as either EDI or MCO were giving out incentives for new destinations.
Tbh I don’t think we can really fairly judge MCO bookings this year. There will be people who have had bookings from GLA since 2020 that now have to depart EDI. So the flights might look artificially full (meaning it’s carried over bookings not new ones)
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

Worth remembering that peak season in GLA had over 1800 seats per week from VS, EDI is just over 500, so huge capacity cutback. Even GLA off-peak was still 900 seats. So I guess they knew that there would be a demand drop from the shift, and have adjusted capacity accordingly.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

GKirk wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:16 am It's true BGI is a terrible seller, but MCO is doing very well.

A large percentage of MCO bookings are existing bookings ex GLA ... booking after that have been pants I understand ... TBH its cheaper going BA via LHR so that's what I will be doing from GLA
bill

Post by bill »

PiperOne wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:53 am Worth remembering that peak season in GLA had over 1800 seats per week from VS, EDI is just over 500, so huge capacity cutback. Even GLA off-peak was still 900 seats. So I guess they knew that there would be a demand drop from the shift, and have adjusted capacity accordingly.
Agree but makes me ask why? I don't think VS have done their homework with this even if as atuk says it's because of DL at EDI. Whole scenario reeks of madness or some mighty fine inducements from somewhere/someone.To lose at best 400 seats per season and at worst 1300 seats just doesn't add up for me. Remember, these were seats that were paying decent yields we're led to believe.
VS71

Post by VS71 »

Obviously pretty disappointed to see VS move away from GLA. Being in Perth, it is quicker to get to EDI, but we've always preferred GLA with it being a better airport, and always opted to use it, even when flying somewhere requiring a connection we could make ex-EDI.

We are a booking moved over from 2020. Sadly this W pattern means we have 13 instead of 14 nights. I'm not sure the midweek flight is going to be all that popular. The Fri/Sat/Sun probably suited that flight better imo.

Hopefully once the world is a better place they go back to full weekend of flights which would suit us better.

Might need to get special dispensation from Clive for an ex-EDI TR! :lol:

It's quite a gap in the Orlando market now from GLA. I can't see Melbourne being popular for the non-cruise types. Aer Lingus I think are doing a MAN-MCO route, surely doing one from GLA would be profitable for them.
Rocky1807

Post by Rocky1807 »

I noticed in the GDS yesterday that the EDI BGI route was not pulling through and was advised it’s yet to be confirmed that they cancelling the service for the rest of the year. They only offer MCO BGI & ISB from Manchester now also. I have gone off selling them with all the changes.
McG

Post by McG »

Lingus must be eating their lunch on the MAN-MCO/BGI/JFK routes. Especially with the A321Neo being used on JFK.
kenneth1

Post by kenneth1 »

I have been back in touch with Virgin Executive office pointing out how their new Scottish home was not a successful move for them as Barbados was a failure and Orlando had been cut back again and how the previously very successful Glasgow service should be re-instated. Their response was that “they are constantly reviewing new and existing routes and that as an airline they are now in a stronger position to consider this option in the near future”, their words not mine. Surely they must know by now that MCO is not a route from EDI, I wonder how long the near future is.