VS moving to EDI?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

awwdabaaby

Re: VS moving to EDI?

Post by awwdabaaby »

kenneth1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:37 pm I have been back in touch with Virgin Executive office pointing out how their new Scottish home was not a successful move for them as Barbados was a failure and Orlando had been cut back again and how the previously very successful Glasgow service should be re-instated. Their response was that “they are constantly reviewing new and existing routes and that as an airline they are now in a stronger position to consider this option in the near future”, their words not mine. Surely they must know by now that MCO is not a route from EDI, I wonder how long the near future is.
Are they blind!
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

awwdabaaby wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:41 pm
kenneth1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:37 pm I have been back in touch with Virgin Executive office pointing out how their new Scottish home was not a successful move for them as Barbados was a failure and Orlando had been cut back again and how the previously very successful Glasgow service should be re-instated. Their response was that “they are constantly reviewing new and existing routes and that as an airline they are now in a stronger position to consider this option in the near future”, their words not mine. Surely they must know by now that MCO is not a route from EDI, I wonder how long the near future is.
Are they blind!
Airlines will always keep their options open. They have to. Losing VS at GLA is a sore one to take. I honestly don’t know if they will return. They have already announced an earlier starting date in spring 24 for the MCO service. According to various posts, Wednesdays service to MCO from EDI went out completely full on a high density A351, seating 397.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Planeenthusiast wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:10 pm
Are they blind!
Airlines will always keep their options open. They have to. Losing VS at GLA is a sore one to take. I honestly don’t know if they will return. They have already announced an earlier starting date in spring 24 for the MCO service. According to various posts, Wednesdays service to MCO from EDI went out completely full on a high density A351, seating 397.
I believe Virgin will move it back to GLA when their EDI contract matures if they don’t start GLA in addition first. If there’s a 5 year golden handcuffs deal I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut EDI to the minimum it allows and fill the schedule with MCO-GLA where the money is. Obviously GLA bosses will do what it takes to make this happen. Hopefully it will involve a DL JFK-GLA as part of the same deal.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

Clive wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:28 pm

Are they blind!
I believe Virgin will move it back to GLA when their EDI contract matures if they don’t start GLA in addition first. If there’s a 5 year golden handcuffs deal I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut EDI to the minimum it allows and fill the schedule with MCO-GLA where the money is. Obviously GLA bosses will do what it takes to make this happen. Hopefully it will involve a DL JFK-GLA as part of the same deal.
An opportunity for GLA management to make VS a commercial offer they can’t refuse. If this doesn’t work, at least they can say they’ve done everything possible to tempt them back.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Are they blind!
Information as far as i understand from someone who would know , 1 -unfort the edi flight to MCO was far from full , 2-had taken this pattern last year .3- going forward its not brilliant sorry to say
jetblue497

Post by jetblue497 »

I am afraid moving back to GLA is not a likely as you would think unfortunately. You will more likely see VS take over DL JFK and/or BOS. They will get treated like the DL connection partners and get royally screwed. Hope that doesnt happen but you need to remember DL's previous modus operandi. There is, however, a glimmer of hope in the current environment where the flight crews have gained the upper hand - DL pilots are very much against mainline jobs being taken by JV partners and connection carriers so they could force the issue in the future.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Planeenthusiast wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:49 pm

An opportunity for GLA management to make VS a commercial offer they can’t refuse. If this doesn’t work, at least they can say they’ve done everything possible to tempt them back.
Yes but it will be more than just an aeronautical offer from GLA management. It will be a joint effort for marketing et al by all of the local stakeholders. Money will talk at the end of the day and if VS and Virgin Holidays in particular see a good business case from GLA the local stakeholders will be kicking at an open door.

What we need to prepare ourselves for is things to be different going forward than they have been previously. There’s a new, more aggressive and joined up approach to business and route development in play.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Iain

Post by Iain »

If GLA-MCO is where the money is, the question arises as to why GLA management have so far failed to get another airline to come in and replace VS?
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

It's worth noting that this will have been the first MCO flight since the Scottish schools broke up for summer so I'd be shocked if the flight was anything but full however, no matter how the EDI fanboys dress it up EDI-MCO is a stinking flop. Just look at the passenger numbers VS were carrying on GLA-MCO compared to what they carry now from EDI. It's a spectacular drop in passenger numbers, make no mistake about it.

If VS want to regain any relevance in the Scottish market they'll ditch EDI and return to GLA-MCO. Failing that someone else will pick-up the GLA-MCO route and VS will lose even more marketshare. Either way, VS won't be at EDI for long.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Iain wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:10 pm
If GLA-MCO is where the money is, the question arises as to why GLA management have so far failed to get another airline to come in and replace VS?
Who at he moment in terms of UK airlines wouod take it over at this moment ? BA concentrating on London and have a policy of not flying longhaul from the regions . Vs at EDI , Norse perhaps or EI . Norse seems to operate from bases so they would have to position in a unit unless they start another couple of routes , but they seem to be targeting main citys like CDG , LGW so cant see them at GLA anytime soon . EI have a lack of aircraft . LS maybe when they get there neo .