VS moving to EDI?

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

FlyGLA

Re: VS moving to EDI?

Post by FlyGLA »

Ekally1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 pmWho at he moment in terms of UK airlines wouod take it over at this moment ? BA concentrating on London and have a policy of not flying longhaul from the regions . Vs at EDI , Norse perhaps or EI . Norse seems to operate from bases so they would have to position in a unit unless they start another couple of routes , but they seem to be targeting main citys like CDG , LGW so cant see them at GLA anytime soon . EI have a lack of aircraft . LS maybe when they get there neo .
I agree, this is the main issue.

There is no question that GLA-MCO is a much bigger market but with no competition VS can take whatever sweeteners EDI offer knowing nobody will move in on GLA-MCO and take their lunch.

If Thomas Cook was still around and flying GLA-MCO would VS have moved to EDI? Not a chance in hell IMO, as they'd have know TCX would have added extra capacity at GLA and would have taken VS customers.

The only option I see is Aer Lingus UK and I'm sure if they did add GLA-MCO VS would be back at GLA in the blink of an eye as they know they cannot compete from EDI.
atuk

Post by atuk »

There could be the possibility of GLA-MCO passengers flying EI via DUB. Has anyone considered this option?
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:10 pm
Clive wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:28 pm
I believe Virgin will move it back to GLA when their EDI contract matures if they don’t start GLA in addition first. If there’s a 5 year golden handcuffs deal I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut EDI to the minimum it allows and fill the schedule with MCO-GLA where the money is. Obviously GLA bosses will do what it takes to make this happen. Hopefully it will involve a DL JFK-GLA as part of the same deal.
If GLA-MCO is where the money is, the question arises as to why GLA management have so far failed to get another airline to come in and replace VS?
There are not many tour operators out there nowadays.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Ekally1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 pm
Iain wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:10 pm
If GLA-MCO is where the money is, the question arises as to why GLA management have so far failed to get another airline to come in and replace VS?
Who at he moment in terms of UK airlines wouod take it over at this moment ? BA concentrating on London and have a policy of not flying longhaul from the regions . Vs at EDI , Norse perhaps or EI . Norse seems to operate from bases so they would have to position in a unit unless they start another couple of routes , but they seem to be targeting main citys like CDG , LGW so cant see them at GLA anytime soon . EI have a lack of aircraft . LS maybe when they get there neo .
Yes, I'd suggest EI UK - surely the airline wasn't set up just to operate three aircraft from one Airport - there must be a long-term plan to expand it and operate it with more aircraft and from other UK regional airports.

The other one would be Norse. Yes, they focused and major cities to start with, but many of the routes are leisure routes. There seem to be rumors of them starring at MAN, so if they'll operate MAN-MCO, then why not GLA-MCO.

In both these cases they might not necessarily have to start a base, or even position, it could be possible to operate W patterns from larger bases. Even if they did need to operate positioning flights, VS seemed to manage this without any major problem.
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

The 1,000.000/1 long shot but absolute trump card would be Emirates operating DXB-GLA-MCO. Whither they'd get the traffic rights for such a route or even want to operate such a service is a whole different story but if that did ever happen EDI-MCO would be dropped overnight. :lol:

Maybe someone can drop an email or linkedin message to Aer Lingus, Norse or Emirates persons with influence to highlight the business case for GLA-MCO.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Is Florida the draw that it used to be?

Are the parks especially Disney not struggling?

And the exchange rate around 1.25
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

kenneth1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:37 pm I have been back in touch with Virgin Executive office pointing out how their new Scottish home was not a successful move for them as Barbados was a failure and Orlando had been cut back again and how the previously very successful Glasgow service should be re-instated. Their response was that “they are constantly reviewing new and existing routes and that as an airline they are now in a stronger position to consider this option in the near future”, their words not mine. Surely they must know by now that MCO is not a route from EDI, I wonder how long the near future is.
Perhaps they've looked at the figures, and realised that EDI-MCO makes more sense for tthem
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

I flew to MCO last month on BA via LGW .. The ba shuttle to gatwick was full 0f connecting traffic onto the 2 MCO flights .. The steward said they call this GLA flight the disney express .
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

GKirk wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:14 pmPerhaps they've looked at the figures, and realised that EDI-MCO makes more sense for tthem
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

FlyGLA wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:40 pm
GKirk wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:14 pmPerhaps they've looked at the figures, and realised that EDI-MCO makes more sense for tthem
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Presumably you don't have access to the info, so I wouldnt laugh. It could very well be true, you need to ask why UA/DL/AC all consolidated their ops at EDI.