Corona virus and its effects on GLA

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Corona virus and it’s effects on GLA

Post by Clive »

Fully agree. Allen. One tiny point, national parliaments, not regional. On devolved issues there’s no central UK position. There’s that of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England. England’s position is not the de facto position on anything.

Of course airport bosses want everything back and booming. We all do, just as soon as safely possible. We just want our loved ones to be able to witness it too.

Any politician, commentator or business owner proffering otherwise is part of the problem, not the solution.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Clive wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:43 pm Fully agree. Allen. One tiny point, national parliaments, not regional. On devolved issues there’s no central UK position. There’s that of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England. England’s position is not the de facto position on anything.
Indeed so and my reference was more geographical than political, yes I know that's a seperate 'argument' in itself. :? 8-)
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

So this morning the ever impressive travel journalist Simon Calder and our very own Derek Proven were on Radio Scotland to talk about the quarantine and air bridges debacle.

Both were at pains not to go along with the SNPBad narrative that the BBC and EDI’s unionist boss Gordon Dewar were trying to push. So good for them.

Looking forward to very soon getting Scotland’s list of countries from which travellers will be free to come and go so that folks can book trips with confidence.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
hads

Post by hads »

Politics free Forum indeed.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

hads wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:13 am Politics free Forum indeed.
Indeedy.

Unfortunately the whole aspect of the handling of the pandemic is political and political decisions are currently what our travel industry are waiting for.

We’ll say no more once the green light is given. July 10 is when the daft quarantine idea will be binned.

Anyhoo, I’m already booked for AGP for 4 August. I’m as certain as can be (barring any unforeseen new lockdown in Andalucía) that there will be no travel restrictions to affect me by then. Ergo I don’t quite see why the travel industry is making such a stooshie about any delay as they see it.

atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 am [quote=hads post_id=987 time=<a href="tel:1594113184">1594113184</a> user_id=150]
Indeedy.

Unfortunately the whole aspect of the handling of the pandemic is political and political decisions are currently what our travel industry are waiting for.

We’ll say no more once the green light is given. July 10 is when the daft quarantine idea will be binned.

Anyhoo, I’m already booked for AGP for 4 August. I’m as certain as can be (barring any unforeseen new lockdown in Andalucía) that there will be no travel restrictions to affect me by then. Ergo I don’t quite see why the travel industry is making such a stooshie about any delay as they see it.
[/quote]

I wish I could see it that way.

Holidays cancelled and from the inside airlines won’t confirm their schedules until they know it’s safe to do so. Ergo few recalled from furlough, 100% government funded payments cease from 31st July and no money in the kitty to fund August payroll since Limited or zero cash flow generated to alleviate this critical situation.

Kickstart aviation and you give new life to the entire hospitality sector. The clock’s ticking and real help, not trite statements are required right now.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:23 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 am [quote=hads post_id=987 time=<a href="tel:1594113184">1594113184</a> user_id=150]
Indeedy.

I wish I could see it that way.

Holidays cancelled and from the inside airlines won’t confirm their schedules until they know it’s safe to do so. Ergo few recalled from furlough, 100% government funded payments cease from 31st July and no money in the kitty to fund August payroll since Limited or zero cash flow generated to alleviate this critical situation.

Kickstart aviation and you give new life to the entire hospitality sector. The clock’s ticking and real help, not trite statements are required right now.
[/quote]

They’ll get confirmation on Thursday and even if it has to be delayed for the Amber infectious countries, it’ll soon come as they get on top of their R numbers. Obviously you wouldn’t be expecting any rash decisions.

On a side note, I was hearing all about the safety measures and changes to everything that Jet2 are making. It’s actually quite impressive how thorough they are being.

Sharpal7

Post by Sharpal7 »

Clive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 am
Indeedy.

I guess it will be a whole new travelling/holiday experience for you Clive. I'd be interested to know how you find it, warts and all....if you are happy to share.

Mrs S and I will have a decision to make for our annual visit to Crete in September and we're not too comfortable with the thought of it at the moment.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Perhaps the awkward thing is exemplified by today’s published figures: Scotland 1 death, 2 new cases, England 155 deaths, 581 new cases. Pax arriving from England should really be on Scotland’s red list. Red for stop. Sadly we can’t really do that for political reasons but it illustrates how mental the whole thing is.

So the Baltic countries haven’t got a Covid death between them but are on the UK’s red list. It just doesn’t make any sense. And folks like the Scottish travel trade wummin ranting on the radio this morning can’t see the logic of our government trying to sort this out properly by Thursday.

Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Sharpal7 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:18 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 am
Indeedy.

I guess it will be a whole new travelling/holiday experience for you Clive. I'd be interested to know how you find it, warts and all....if you are happy to share.

Mrs S and I will have a decision to make for our annual visit to Crete in September and we're not too comfortable with the thought of it at the moment.
The way I see it is would you think twice about a holiday in St Andrews or Girvan in September? Crete is fine now and certainly will be by September.

Obviously I have more to worry about on my London trip than Torremolinos. But for some reason that’s reversed in many folks’ psyche.

Yes, I intend to write an in depth trip report on my experience of post lockdown international travel.