Emirates

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

buddyboy

Re: Emirates

Post by buddyboy »

Bearsden wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:53 pm
buddyboy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:08 pm They have added a 7th daily LHR, went double daily at STN, back at pre COVID levels at both MAN and BHX.... I think it's a fair question to ask. They seem to have been able to find a spare 77W and crew for these routes. It reeks of "we have no direct competition, let's milk the Glaswegians".
I don't know how you define 'no direct competition' but in my view along the M8 Qatar is 100% direct competition and Turkish is probably 75% direct competition
There is nobody else at GLA. Every other UK airport they fly to with the exception of NCL has direct competition to the middle east.
Speedbird Julie

Post by Speedbird Julie »

Would love to see double daily, there's quite a few seats in J and most of F currently unsold though :(
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

buddyboy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:02 pm
Bearsden wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:53 pm
buddyboy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:08 pm They have added a 7th daily LHR, went double daily at STN, back at pre COVID levels at both MAN and BHX.... I think it's a fair question to ask. They seem to have been able to find a spare 77W and crew for these routes. It reeks of "we have no direct competition, let's milk the Glaswegians".
I don't know how you define 'no direct competition' but in my view along the M8 Qatar is 100% direct competition and Turkish is probably 75% direct competition
There is nobody else at GLA. Every other UK airport they fly to with the exception of NCL has direct competition to the middle east.
Disagree .. Edi with QR and TK are competing for traffic with EK at GLA as well as connecting traffic onwards . Doesn't matter if its GLA or at edi , same target area
McG

Post by McG »

Emirates are having a recruitment day for cabin crew at the Raddison BLU in Glasgow on the 16th.

As for the second daily, as well as trying to get A380’s and B777 back in service, Emirates are due to get A350-900 this year, 777-9 next year and 787’s at some time.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

I'm half expecting NCL to go to an A350. Wonder if GLA will get the freed up 777 from that?
Iain

Post by Iain »

Here's the ET report on today's milestone:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/242 ... w-airport/

Nothing much really, maybe reporters from The Herald or Scotsman might have asked about 2x daily, but I'm not holding my breath.

Using 2x77W would be the way to go up to double daily with the lowest jump in capacity and seats to fill, but then they wouldn't have the selling point if the A380. So instead they're looking at an A380 plus 77W, which is a lot of seats to fill. An A359 might be better, but the suggestion appears to be that they won't have F class.

As others have said, it does seem that GLA capacity has recovered markedly more slowly than other UK regionals. If we consider the flights they also had to EDI then they've gone from 1xA380 and 2x77W per day to/from Scotland to 1xA380, which is even more stark. I'm not sure I can see this as purely an aircraft/crew issue given they've clearly managed to find those for MAN and BHX.

I think the competition with QR is surely an issue, particularly given QR are double daily. I guess this might perhaps pull biz pax from EK given the more flexible schedule.

Other airports have shown the benifits of competition, so I think the quicker we can get TK (or others) in, the better.
Iain

Post by Iain »

GKirk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:24 pm I'm half expecting NCL to go to an A350. Wonder if GLA will get the freed up 777 from that?
QR A359s have 283 seats, so you'd guess EK A359s without F class would perhaps be around this figure.

In Jan EK NCL had 21644 pax which works out to around 349pax/flight - so it's likely a single daily A359 would provide insufficient capacity.
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

In relation to the benefits or otherwise of direct competition, isn’t the risk for GLA that EK return to the airport where QR operates double daily, presumably on a A359 and competes directly with QR? This could mean EK sticking with a daily 388 from GLA.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Planeenthusiast wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:30 pm In relation to the benefits or otherwise of direct competition, isn’t the risk for GLA that EK return to the airport where QR operates double daily, presumably on a A359 and competes directly with QR? This could mean EK sticking with a daily 388 from GLA.
Who's to say that's not a possibility anyway? You could put all your eggs in the EK basket and try to "protect" them and then they go to EDI anyway. They had no competition at GLA pre covid - and I get the sense those in charge at GLA bent over backwards to please them - yet they still started EDI.

Looking at it the other way, QR would appear to have a decent load factor at EDI. They could obviously expand capacity by upgrading to 77Ws, but beyond that you're surely looking at extra frequencies. Do we want them to go 3xdaily at EDI but stay out of GLA in case EK get upset, or would we want those extra flights at GLA?
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

I have been reading some news articles published today about the 20th anniversary. A couple of quotes in this article that might be of interest.

“We could not have put an A380 into an airport like Glasgow without their support.” Richard Dewsbury, divisional vice president for the UK

"However, a second and bigger event for agents, a drinks reception and entertainment, is planned for May 16." i.e. there is more celebrations to come, you don't just throw money at these events for a laugh.

Average load factor on the route of 87% over the last 12 months.

Move than 50% of the bookings are from travel agents and trade.

"I would be very happy to see more capacity come to the UK and to Scotland.” Richard Dewsbury, divisional vice president for the UK

"“Glasgow remains a key market from both passenger and cargo perspectives and is a hugely popular destination for our passengers around the world."

Link to article: https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/emi ... om-glasgow

Also, worth remembering back to this time last year when Richard Dewsbury said he expected Premium Economy on the Glasgow route some point this year.