Emirates

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

egpffqtv

Re: Emirates

Post by egpffqtv »

buddyboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:03 am Shambles but not surprised. Surely this should work both ways
If they can’t even hang onto Loganair SOU, I really have my doubts about the ability for any other business to be secured.
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

bill wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:46 am
Planeenthusiast wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:30 pm In relation to the benefits or otherwise of direct competition, isn’t the risk for GLA that EK return to the airport where QR operates double daily, presumably on a A359 and competes directly with QR? This could mean EK sticking with a daily 388 from GLA.
Wow! Deadly accurate mate. You don't have tomorrow's Euro Millions numbers to hand I suppose? :lol:
Hopefully this will help to bring down prices in a small way. The premium economy offering on the A359 will be very popular. GLA route is well established. I don’t see this being under any threat. As for expansion. I honestly don’t know.
Planeenthusiast

egpffqtv wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:48 am
Planeenthusiast wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:30 pm In relation to the benefits or otherwise of direct competition, isn’t the risk for GLA that EK return to the airport where QR operates double daily, presumably on a A359 and competes directly with QR? This could mean EK sticking with a daily 388 from GLA.
Wow! Deadly accurate mate. You don't have tomorrow's Euro Millions numbers to hand I suppose? :lol:
GLA need to get TK in pronto.

Would like to say the same for QR but highly unlikely to happen.

TK have just increased to 10 x weekly, year round. I suspect they knew this was coming.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

buddyboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:03 am Shambles but not surprised. Surely this should work both ways
Not when the commercial deal / value proposition is not being matched or exceeded - EDI will shortly have a new majority shareholder who paid £1.27 billion for a 50.01% share of the business . . . . they are clearly going to go for expansion and the competition

AGS is lumbered with huge external debt and shareholder funding (circa £1 billion) on #9, #16 and #21 airports in the UK - the total passenger traffic only just exceeeds airport #8 (Bristol)
Last edited by Bearsden on Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Bearsden wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:29 am
Not when the commercial deal / value proposition is not being matched or exceeded - EDI will shortly have a new majority shareholder who paid £1.27 billion for a 50.01% share of the business . . . . they clearly going to go for expansion and the competition

AGS is lumbered with huge external debt and shareholder funding (circa £1 billion) on #9, #16 and #21 airports in the UK - the total passenger traffic only just exceeeds airport #8 (Bristol)
I meant in terms of dealing in the likes of TK. Surely they and QR aren't going to let EK come in and ruin their party and not make any effort to spoil the EK free reign at GLA.
egpffqtv

Post by egpffqtv »

buddyboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:32 am
Not when the commercial deal / value proposition is not being matched or exceeded - EDI will shortly have a new majority shareholder who paid £1.27 billion for a 50.01% share of the business . . . . they clearly going to go for expansion and the competition

I meant in terms of dealing in the likes of TK. Surely they and QR aren't going to let EK come in and ruin their party and not make any effort to spoil the EK free reign at GLA.
Are AGS commercially astute enough to deal in QR and TK? Or are we more likely to get a KFC opening instead?
Iain

Post by Iain »

This is exactly the situation I was driving at in this thread a couple of weeks ago re GLA having all its eggs in one basket and failing to entice competitors for EK.

EK see QR with double daily at EDI with high load factors that could possibly go 3xdaily, so they feel they need to step into prevent that. Meanwhile they're comfortable at GLA because they have no competition from other ME3 Airlines, TK etc and so they think they can leave the GLA service as is with no issues.

The problem once again is EDI management appear tactically and strategically miles ahead of their competitors at GLA. They expertly play airlines off against each other and exploit their desire to compete in order to increase capacity and frequency and reduce fares to their airport.

As others have asked, surely this should work both ways and QR and TK should seek to come into GLA to get at EK - but of course we don't see this and that raises obvious questions about those in charge at GLA. Given the positive statements from the CEO - and the recent YouTube interview as well - I thought we had people in charge who were on the ball, but that seems questionable with another major failure just when it matters most.

Quite clearly, despite 20 years of seemingly sucking up to them, there's no special relationship between GLA and the EK and the airport does not owe the airline special treatment. As such they must go all out to try and get other middle eastern competitors in asap.
Planeenthusiast wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:14 am
TK have just increased to 10 x weekly, year round. I suspect they knew this was coming.
Again an example of EDI expertly playing airlines off against each other. Who wants to bet that fares from EDI to Asia and Aus/NZ next year will be way lower than from GLA, prompting thousands more pax from the GLA catchment to travel to EDI, rapidly increasing pax numbers on their ME routes whilst GLA ones stagnate.
Last edited by Iain on Mon May 06, 2024 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

buddyboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:32 am

It is one market for these long-haul / connections so it is highly unlikely that yields at GLA will be any better than yields at EDI therefore there is no need to think about splitting your resources until ground handling capacity is reached at EDI
McG

Post by McG »

Planeenthusiast wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:12 am
Hopefully this will help to bring down prices in a small way. The premium economy offering on the A359 will be very popular. GLA route is well established. I don’t see this being under any threat. As for expansion. I honestly don’t know.
There have been rumours elsewhere that GLA will get PE on the A380 this year.
Planeenthusiast

QR have responded to EK by dropping fares, but not by much. They remain more expensive which could suggest strong advanced bookings. £158 more expensive in economy for a round trip 5-12 Nov to their DOH hub - £752. EK to DUB - £594 on same dates. An introductory price from EK no doubt but will be interesting to see how this develops. Has anyone seen any change in fares to/from GLA?