Emirates

All discussion around Glasgow Airport news.

Moderators: bill, Clive

AD1

Re: Emirates

Post by AD1 »

I wonder if it could make QR launch Glasgow also? EK biting into their territory, so QR come to get a bite of EK territory over here
G-WATP

Post by G-WATP »

AD1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:13 pm I wonder if it could make QR launch Glasgow also? EK biting into their territory, so QR come to get a bite of EK territory over here
It's myopic to think of GLA and EDI as serving separate territories for these kind of flights. Central Scotland is one market for them. DL, UA and WS all consolidated their flights serving the North American market at EDI. Why do we think the markets served via the middle eastern hubs will be any different? (Although I imagine GLA will always have some kind of foothold in the market via EK and, presumably, TK. )
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

This is idiotic of Emirates. As highlighted before a lot premier business travellers from EDI would travel to GLA to use Emirates when it was twice daily ( I know as numerous neighbours in EDI did just that) . The same business travellers no longer use Emirates due to frequency and they certainly won’t fly one way GLA back EDI. They now use QR as no doubt GLA business travellers are starting to do.

It has been rumoured fro some time QR are going 3x daily and I’m guessing they will now start an evening flight , similar to the Dublin schedule. Most likely for GLA is a TK schedule.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Ken1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:42 pm This is idiotic of Emirates. As highlighted before a lot premier business travellers from EDI would travel to GLA to use Emirates when it was twice daily ( I know as numerous neighbours in EDI did just that) . The same business travellers no longer use Emirates due to frequency and they certainly won’t fly one way GLA back EDI. They now use QR as no doubt GLA business travellers are starting to do.

It has been rumoured fro some time QR are going 3x daily and I’m guessing they will now start an evening flight , similar to the Dublin schedule. Most likely for GLA is a TK schedule.
It's noticeable that this EK EDI flight is in the evening, so maybe they think with the chauffer cars that biz pax will fly into one and out the other. Equally I guess it might be timed that way to try to put QR off launching an evening flight.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

You know I could have sworn just a month ago we were being told that the only thing stopping the return of the GLA second service was a lack of crew and lack of aircraft...... :roll:

Now hey presto EK have found crew and a brand new aircraft to serve EDI.

This has the distinct stench of what has happened with the US carriers. Here for a long time then up sticks. Scunnered with GLA management.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Tbh .. edi is a shit tip .. why are we discussing it
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Ekally1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:52 pm Tbh .. edi is a shit tip .. why are we discussing it
To be fair, I think it's to discuss valid given the airport this forum is dedicated too is constantly losing business to it.
awwdabaaby

Post by awwdabaaby »

buddyboy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:58 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:52 pm Tbh .. edi is a shit tip .. why are we discussing it
To be fair, I think it's to discuss valid given the airport this forum is dedicated too is constantly losing business to it.
Clive told you to drop the chat, and yet it's the same ones that bring it up!
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Good points. Although illustrating how daft this Emirates move is, is EDI airports own chat room. Lots of passengers who work in Dubai and main home is EDI, highlighting they don’t need to go to GLA anymore and the evening flight much better for sleeping and timings. It totally undermines the use of a A380 plus chances of a 2x daily flight again.
bill

Post by bill »

Probably because Scotland has just got it's second daily flight (and evening flight) to DXB and it's not from GLA mate. Like it or loathe it EDI is hoovering up routes left, right and centre while we're getting by with a couple of extra seasonal bucket and spade aircraft.I agree that EDI is a sh*t tip, but it's a very successful Sh*t tip in comparison to the airport we all joined this forum to support.