Farewell 747 a personal tribute

Moderators: bill, Clive

Sharpal7

Re: Farewell 747 a personal tribute

Post by Sharpal7 »

My first ever 747 flight was with Qantas on their LHR to Sydney service, although I never left Europe.

Qantas wanted to fill the empty seats on the LHR-FRA and FRA-LHR legs and these cost £66 return from memory. Can't remember what year unfortunately.

I spent 2 days spotting at FRA before picking up my return flight back to LHR.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Sharpal7 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:07 pm My first ever 747 flight was with Qantas on their LHR to Sydney service, although I never left Europe.

Qantas wanted to fill the empty seats on the LHR-FRA and FRA-LHR legs and these cost £66 return from memory. Can't remember what year unfortunately.

I spent 2 days spotting at FRA before picking up my return flight back to LHR.
Similarly I flew the Cathay Pacific 747-300 on LGW-CDG-LGW in 1992.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

Last BA 747 flights planned LHR-Kemble this Thursday, marking the end of 50 years of BOAC & BA operation of the type.
1-11

Post by 1-11 »

A great aircraft indeed, and I have always enjoyed flying in one.
Over the years I have flown on it 106 times, including a surprise short haul CPH-LHR ( SE-DFZ ) when the designated DC-9 on the route went tech.
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Not many flights for me on this great aircraft. LHR-BKK with TG 31 years ago. Returned via CPH
LHR-JFK about 4 years ago. Touching down at JFK in a 747 was a bucket list thing for me
sanderling

Post by sanderling »

My best memory was in the late 80s on BA175 LHR to JFK on 200 series G-BDPV

Extremely lucky to be invited up to flight deck for landing at JFK (ATC related)

On entering flight deck I was aware that seating arrangements for landing were extremely limited.

There were the 2 pilots plus a check captain sitting behind the captain plus the flight engineer already in the flight deck

The captain welcomed me and informed me the best place to see everything that was happening was to ‘wedge’ myself against the back of his seat whilst still standing between the 2 pilot positions.

Not sure if health and safety people would have been happy but they would never find out

S
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Rumours abound that the retro Negus 747, G-CIVB will be flown tomorrow to Cotswolds museum for preservation. At least one will remain to be seen by future generations.
PiperOne

Post by PiperOne »

Allen McL wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:21 pm Rumours abound that the retro Negus 747, G-CIVB will be flown tomorrow to Cotswolds museum for preservation. At least one will remain to be seen by future generations.
The last two at Heathrow, CIVB & 'VY are planned out of Heathrow at 0815 tomorrow to Kemble, 'VY will perform one final flypast before heading west on the short flight to Gloucestershire. 'VB, in Negus livery, will join Britannia XM496 in preservation at the Cotswold site.

F
Jeremy Kemp

Post by Jeremy Kemp »

Hi

Just watched earlier this morning on BBC1 the live departure of the last 2 BA 747s. A sad day for those who flew them.

My only 747 flight in December 2000 was from AMS to JFK and back. It was so cold that the baggage doors had frozen and had to be de-iced before the luggage could be removed. Our trip included a helicopter flight round New York and included the Twin Towers. We bought a wind up snow globe from Macy's which had the Main New York buildings in it.

JK
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Flew BA 744's on 3 occasions , also in good condition i thought .. flew VS 744 twice on GLA-MCO , beach fleet was due to retirement .. however will be missed , watched online this morning and certainly emotional..