Farewell 747 a personal tribute

Moderators: bill, Clive

midscot2

Re: Farewell 747 a personal tribute

Post by midscot2 »

First flew on a Pan-Am B747-100 in 1972 from FRA-LHR second last leg of a roundabout routing from Fukuoka in Japan to home in Scotland, luckily most of it in first class, company policy for length of flight.
Last flight exactly a year ago on G-CIVK with BA AUS to LHR had flown out to AUS on G-CIVB (Negus scheme) one of the planes that departed LHR today. Sat in 1A for the flight to AUS will never get that experience again. Anywhere up in the nose was always good.
Many flights on the 747 over the years with various airlines, at the back, at the front and upstairs. Will miss them for their character always great to fly .
cammyboy

Post by cammyboy »

Had a couple of flights on the 747, but the last one was probably the most memorable, for the wrong, and right, reasons. BA from LHR to JFK return.

Was going to NY for Hogmanay in 2010/11 with my Dad and partner. Given my Dad's age had booked WTP to give him a bit more legroom to stretch out. Got to GLA and told we'd been upgraded to Club, result!

Arrived in LHR and got the lounge access, magic! Eventually got on to the plane after significant weather delay and told we had to hold due to weather in NY. No probs, in club so was still happy!

Set off and service was great all through the flight. Landed at JFK and in taxi-ing to the gate the left outboard engine hit a snow bank at JFK which was under blizzard conditions. Again, being in Club we were offered significant refreshments until we got to the gate. To say I was buckled when we got to the gate would be an understatement!

Apart from an NY taxi driver who tried to drop us off in the blizzard 4 blocks from the hotel (whom I told my Dad was 'an old man and couldn't walk far', much to my Dad's disgust) he eventually took us to the hotel door, it was a great break.

Return was on a 772 and again got an upgrade to Club from WTP which was excellent.

My Dad had an incident at LHR custsoms who incorrectly didn't like the size of his cough bottle (innocent times!) and told him to pour it out. In the absolute nicest of terms a man over 75, who has stayed in rural Scotland most of his life, but grew up closer to Drumchapel than Bearden, told him to 'go raffle himself' and drank the rest of the bottle.

Safe to say the security guy had the right idea and my Dad had a gyppy tummy for the lounge and the flight up to Glasgow on a wee Airbus.

Genuinely a fantastic journey and holiday all round and the 747 was the highlight. Won't ever do it again with him but a fantastic memory. Will never forget it.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Was I the only forum member watching BBC breakfast news yesterday morning with misty eyes watching The Negus and sister 747 depart LHR?
Jeremy Kemp

Post by Jeremy Kemp »

No
See my post earlier.

JK