Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

FlyGLA

Re: Edinburgh

Post by FlyGLA »

Ridiculous level of sheep behaviour from Ryanair and Wizz Air. Both airlines announcing new routes to 10+ destinations from Tirana and the majority are in direct competition with each other. EDI goes from 0 to 5 flights per week. I suspect Wizz Air will cut the route before it even starts.

Ryanair to enter Tirana in Winter 2023 with 17 new routes:
Beauvais
Bologna
Bucharest
Catania
Charleroi
Edinburgh
Kraków
London Stansted
Manchester
Pisa
Prague
Rome Ciampino
Stockholm Arlanda
Treviso
Warsaw Modlin
Weeze

Wizz Air load 10 new routes into the system from Tirana:
Sofia
Chania
Krakow
Malta
Palermo
Bucharest
Edinburgh
Liverpool
Birmingham
Prague
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

FlyGLA wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:35 am Ridiculous level of sheep behaviour from Ryanair and Wizz Air. Both airlines announcing new routes to 10+ destinations from Tirana and the majority are in direct competition with each other. EDI goes from 0 to 5 flights per week. I suspect Wizz Air will cut the route before it even starts.

Ryanair to enter Tirana in Winter 2023 with 17 new routes:
Beauvais
Bologna
Bucharest
Catania
Charleroi
Edinburgh
Kraków
London Stansted
Manchester
Pisa
Prague
Rome Ciampino
Stockholm Arlanda
Treviso
Warsaw Modlin
Weeze

Wizz Air load 10 new routes into the system from Tirana:
Sofia
Chania
Krakow
Malta
Palermo
Bucharest
Edinburgh
Liverpool
Birmingham
Prague

I agree with you about Wizz and question if they will start with their plans. This is classic Wizz behaviour. Test the market then drop if pre sales don’t meet expectations. Ryanair also starting more than a month ahead of Wizz on alternative days.
Iain

Post by Iain »

It's interesting how lots of other airports seem to be able to derive (at least short term) benefit from airlines acting like sheep and competing with each other like this, but GLA never seem to be able to induce it or benefit from it.

For instance, you would have expected the success of EK to DXB over a number years to draw other ME3 carriers to GLA to compete, but instead EY, QR and TK all ended up at EDI.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:03 pm It's interesting how lots of other airports seem to be able to derive (at least short term) benefit from airlines acting like sheep and competing with each other like this, but GLA never seem to be able to induce it or benefit from it.

For instance, you would have expected the success of EK to DXB over a number years to draw other ME3 carriers to GLA to compete, but instead EY, QR and TK all ended up at EDI.
It’s all one market, mind. 🫣

Besides, this is about airlines crossing swords at Tirana and trying to corner the market.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

Clive wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:42 pm
Iain wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:03 pm It's interesting how lots of other airports seem to be able to derive (at least short term) benefit from airlines acting like sheep and competing with each other like this, but GLA never seem to be able to induce it or benefit from it.

It’s all one market, mind. 🫣

Besides, this is about airlines crossing swords at Tirana and trying to corner the market.

Another reason to bear in mind is the incentives being offered by Tirana to attract new airlines/ routes. They have been on an aggressive marketing drive for some time. You can guarantee Ryanair and Wizz, initially, will have very low landing and handling fees etc, accompanied with government subsidies. If these were to end or fees increase, both airlines would run away very quickly.
viscount

Post by viscount »

Another forum stated that Ek will be back in the spring once the equipment is in place, and also Etihad are in talks again. That would give the airport all the major ME carriers.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

viscount wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:23 pm Another forum stated that Ek will be back in the spring once the equipment is in place, and also Etihad are in talks again. That would give the airport all the major ME carriers.
Gulf Air and Kuwait Airways too? Good luck with all that.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

viscount wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:23 pm Another forum stated that Ek will be back in the spring once the equipment is in place, and also Etihad are in talks again. That would give the airport all the major ME carriers.
If its the forum i am thinking about and saw the post , think its EDI fanboys with wishful thinking and an arrogance . I would take it with a pinch of salt . Etihad had a disaster as EDI last time , EK loads where disapointing lets say .
FlyGLA

Post by FlyGLA »

Emirates have themselves already said that EDI will not return before GLA is back at 2x daily. The rumour of EK returning to EDI has been there since the day they left and it's never been anything more substantial than fanboy fantasy.
GeorgeNTravels

Post by GeorgeNTravels »

I’ve noticed something with Ryanair this winter. The number of based aircraft they require drops significantly during the week, breakdown below;

M - 10
Tu - 4
W - 5
Th - 6
Fr - 11
Sa - 11
Su - 11

What is also significant is 50% of the published timetable for Tuesday is operated by non based aircraft.

Anybody know why this could be? I know they have a similar arrangement during the summer at some bases where they are only bases during the weekend.