Edinburgh

Moderators: bill, Clive

Clive
Site Admin

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Clive »

Iain wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:17 pm
Clive wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:58 am
Agreed but there would be no one more disappointed than themselves if that happened. Sadly it’s the airlines who decide whether to land in a smaller but more open market or follow sheep-like into a crowded market.
Unfortunately that's a pattern that we've seen many times, not just in Scotland. However, why do we rarely see it working in GLA's favour?

We've had a highly successful EK service for nearly 20yrs, but in that time GLA have never persuaded another ME airline to start GLA flights. If we go by the "sheep" idea, EK's success at GLA should've meant QR and EY came to GLA, but they didn't and ended up at EDI! (and the off the back of EY failing there, EDI managed to get EK in straight away!).
Unfortunately for GLA “it’s all one market” and there is a perfectly useable airport closer to the Mecca of Edinburgh.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
GKirk

Post by GKirk »

JetBlue adding EDI as well as Dublin
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Davieboy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:54 am
jetblue497 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:24 pm
Ekally1 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:17 pm This B6 and edi rumour is more of a wishlist rumour on another forum .. nothing in it at all
Correct - there are 17 other destinations under consideration. The penchant for users on that other forum for stating their personal hopes as fact is beyond belief. One of the 4 quoted is very high on the list, one very low.
Whether high on a wishlist or low on an actual list, looks like there is something in it - daily EDI to JFK:

https://ishrionaviation.com/news/jetblu ... -edinburgh

It’s a shame GLA couldn’t have won this. It would have been ideal.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Planeenthusiast

Post by Planeenthusiast »

JetBlue EDI-JFK route to be confirmed later today. More than an ounce of truth in the rumour…..
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

I think maybe plans change .. I suspect edi getting USA pre clearance
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

Davieboy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:06 am
Ekally1 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:02 am I think maybe plans change .. I suspect edi getting USA pre clearance
Pre-clearance needs a US-UK government agreement. That's unlikely to be quick given both countries will be having elections in the next 18 months. So even if it happens, it would be unlikely until S25 at the earliest and more likely S26 or later. Doesn't explain routes being lost now, like UA adding a second daily EWR service to EDI.

Perhaps not starting next year but certainly an incentive for airlines .. didn't realise you where the government timeline guru .. think an election holds no bearings on this. Decision been made already apparently. Not been announced either way yet .
Last edited by Ekally1 on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ekally1

Post by Ekally1 »

DPNC96 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:07 am Yields EDI - NYC area will be trashed.
Edi yields are meant to be decent I am afraid .. wish it wasn't
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Airlines really are sheep aren't they. If EDI now get the pre clearance I think we can kiss goodbye to any TATL flights going forward. Really disappointing news.
Iain

Post by Iain »

DPNC96 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:07 am Yields EDI - NYC area will be trashed.
It might be all right in summer, but in winter it will surely be a different story. Iirc when I looked at flights in July this year EDI-NYC was already available for £450 rtn in peak summer.

There is no sugar coating this, it's a massive failure on the part of GLA management and is part of their wider failure to replace routes and traffic post-covid, whilst many of their UK peers vastly outperform them.

GLA is surely the only airport in Europe that had 3 USA routes served by 3 airlines post-covid and now has none.

The usual excuses blaming the city, other agencies and "lack of promotion" are increasingly paper thin - only a few days ago the New York Times carried an article extolling the virtues of Glasgow to its readers - how ironic.

The new AGS CEO talked a good game in the press a number if months ago, he needs to match that with results. If not, AGS must imo sell up asap.
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

Davieboy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:07 am
buddyboy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:01 am Airlines really are sheep aren't they. If EDI now get the pre clearance I think we can kiss goodbye to any TATL flights going forward. Really disappointing news.
It wouldn't affect Canadian flights, so we'd still have TS's TATL flight.
Sorry I should have been clear re flights to the USA.