PIK

Moderators: bill, Clive

Allen McL

Re: PIK

Post by Allen McL »

What about this proposed shiny new cargo and MRO area for the east side of GLA's campus ? The one we've seen in fancy computer generated 'fly through' videos ? for the Glasgow City Deal ?

Is that not an opportunity to expand GLA business into other areas and is anyone seriously looking into it ? Or was the video just another example of 'Here's what you could have won' Bullseye BS ?
Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

Allen McL wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:33 am What about this proposed shiny new cargo and MRO area for the east side of GLA's campus ? The one we've seen in fancy computer generated 'fly through' videos ? for the Glasgow City Deal ?

Is that not an opportunity to expand GLA business into other areas and is anyone seriously looking into it ? Or was the video just another example of 'Here's what you could have won' Bullseye BS ?
All pre-COVID-19 of course but I also suspect no knowledge of the competitive environment out there for cargo and MRO locally, domestically and worldwide
Allen McL

Post by Allen McL »

Bearsden wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:22 pm
Allen McL wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:33 am What about this proposed shiny new cargo and MRO area for the east side of GLA's campus ? The one we've seen in fancy computer generated 'fly through' videos ? for the Glasgow City Deal ?

All pre-COVID-19 of course but I also suspect no knowledge of the competitive environment out there for cargo and MRO locally, domestically and worldwide
It certainly sounds like it given the complete lack of comment or intention. But that as we know, pre-dates Covid-19 and MRO etc is still a worldwide business. Quite possibly a 'snooze and you lose' scenario ? I see certain key players within the GLA management are leaving soon too ... But then again it could all be under water in 20 years.
atuk

Post by atuk »

No surprise there, then. Carving out a niche re COP26. I’ve just read my staff mag where our handling, big boss and staff praised for their efforts at EDI/GLA. Perhaps time for PIK to take a visit to Central Scotland’s real airports rather than live in fairytale land!
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Davieboy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:00 pm Sale update: no longer being sold.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... 2aO4TnhHkg
It’s not no longer being sold. It’s just not being sold to whoever was making a poor offer for it. The political commentators and brass necked airport boss quoted in the article would also be bealing if it had been sold at a loss to the taxpayer.
https://tinyurl.com/EGPFAmazon

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
atuk

Post by atuk »

Clive wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:46 pm [quote=Davieboy post_id=5427 time=<a href="tel:1640102401">1640102401</a> user_id=401]
Sale update: no longer being sold.

It’s not no longer being sold. It’s just not being sold to whoever was making a poor offer for it. The political commentators and brass necked airport boss quoted in the article would also be bealing if it had been sold at a loss to the taxpayer.
[/quote]

You’re correct. It’s no longer being sold as they can’t find any private company who would touch it with a barge pole.

The “ brass necked airport boss” knows his markets well and he is correct to be raging. So should the boss of GLA as all PIK does is stifle any expansion at commercially run, Un state subsidised, entities.

As for the “Finance Secretary “ a degree and two seconds worth of hands on financial expertise! It really beggars belief. A bit like Scotfail!
Johnstone Bhoy

Post by Johnstone Bhoy »

A catastrophe since Infatril done a runner. Should have let them to complete their mission.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

atuk wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:56 pm
Clive wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:46 pm [quote=Davieboy post_id=5427 time=<a href="tel:1640102401">1640102401</a> user_id=401]
Sale update: no longer being sold.

You’re correct. It’s no longer being sold as they can’t find any private company who would touch it with a barge pole.

The “ brass necked airport boss” knows his markets well and he is correct to be raging. So should the boss of GLA as all PIK does is stifle any expansion at commercially run, Un state subsidised, entities.
[/quote]

Political opinion removed.

Using this link cost nothing but your Amazon purchases can help me to fund the hosting of EGPF Forum and keep it free.
Clive
Site Admin

Post by Clive »

Johnstone Bhoy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:10 pm A catastrophe since Infatril done a runner. Should have let them to complete their mission.
Quite a minority statement there, JB.

Bearsden

Post by Bearsden »

I await the published accounts to comment further but an Operating Profit and an Asset Revaluation point to a far better short to medium term financial position than both EDI & GLA who are losing multi £m today and have 15 to 20 times the debt around their necks with their main revenue stream being terminal passengers

Yes, the state put funds into the airport and are writing off the annual interest on its loan capital but the sums are relatively speaking small - the key is cash generation after expenditure on fixed assets

I have said before that there will be an argument that Ryanair's passenger operations may be loss-making on a standalone basis but they are an efficient way to route aircraft in and out its maintenance facility thus maintaining and creating local jobs

Neither EDI nor GLA have invested in the infrastructure to handle multiple heavy military transports / tankers likewise neither has heavy freight handling facilities for An-124s, B748s etc . . . and today neither has the cash to invest in that kind of infrastructure

PIK has no doubt made a tidy sum from the 6 (now 5) ex Norwegian B787s which have been sitting for two years